FSX settings new rig vs old rig

annber

Hi, I received my new system about a week ago, and for the most part I am quite happy with it, but I am encountering some issues that I did not expect to find given that my old rig is a generic Dell XPS8500, but there are times where I find the graphics better in the old system. These are two pictures taken, one from the new build and the other from the old. As you can see, the texture resolution on my photoreal scenery is sharp nearby, but fuzzy in the distance with the new build. However with the old, the near textures are distorted, but sharper in the distance.:confused::confused:

Also, I edited my fsx.cfg, but it appears the changes are not being saved, Texture_Max_Load keeps reverting back to 1024, and LOD_Radius keeps going back to 4.500.

Is there something I am doing wrong?? hate to start building my FSX the wrong way. Any help is appreciated.

Bernardo.

fsx_compare.jpg

fsx_compare1.png

Hi, I received my new system about a week ago, and for the most part I am quite happy with it, but I am encountering some issues that I did not expect to find given that my old rig is a generic Dell XPS8500, but there are times where I find the graphics better in the old system. These are two pictures taken, one from the new build and the other from the old. As you can see, the texture resolution on my photoreal scenery is sharp nearby, but fuzzy in the distance with the new build. However with the old, the near textures are distorted, but sharper in the distance.:confused::confused:

Also, I edited my fsx.cfg, but it appears the changes are not being saved, Texture_Max_Load keeps reverting back to 1024, and LOD_Radius keeps going back to 4.500.

Is there something I am doing wrong?? hate to start building my FSX the wrong way. Any help is appreciated.

Bernardo.

Altitude? Distance? Magnification? It appears the "old" screenshot is closer and more dense in every way. Apples & Oranges.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

" it appears the changes are not being saved, Texture_Max_Load keeps reverting back to 1024"

There are certain defaults which get reverted when you use the UI to change graphics options. These reverted options get written to FSX.CFG when you exit the sim.

Texture_Max_Load=1024 is actually the best setting for most people. I believe 500 is the default.

LOD of 4.5 is also the best setting.

There are two ways to keep FSX from reverting to default:

1) Never use the UI to change graphics settings.

2) After starting FSX with a manual edited FSX, create a saved options file, exit the sim, restart it and load the saved options file. FSX will now use this set of customized options every time you start the sim. Move the tweaks which would normally get reverted into the saved options file. FSX loads the saved options file last (over-writing the default settings in FSX.CFG) and will modify your custom file.

How well scenery blends into the horizon is controlled by "filtering."

For most of us, Trilinear is preferred. The higher in the option list (top) the more raw and more frame friendly the processing. Anisotropic is the smoothest filtering, but eats frames for lunch. Basically, filtering and AA behave a lot alike in terms of frames vs appearance.

No matter how powerful your machine, you will make some performance vs immersion judgement calls. You still have to explore the options, inspect the results and make the call just like you did with the other machine.

Not every vid card performs exactly alike. You will have to discover your card's strong and weak points for yourself.

Some basic rules to keep you from getting lost while you search for the Garden of Eden:

1) FSX is not perfect. You can spend more time messing, reverting, fixing, crashing than flying.

2) No computer is fast enough to run FSX flat out at highest options with the highest demand add-ons in heavy weather flying over the densest add-on scenery at unrealistic frame rates. 30 frame lock is a satisfying and realistic setting to shoot for.

3) The majority of problems users have is poor tweaking skills and buggy add-ons.

4) Keep your expectations realistic. FSX is a CHEAP simulation not an exact imitation of the real world.

5) Change and test all your changes to the sim one at a time. Bad changes are easier to fix this way.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

The cfg changes are changing back to default because you are using the FSX scenery

menu while in the sim. That will overwrite your manually set TML and LOD.

Yes, forgot about that, thanks.

"

No matter how powerful your machine, you will make some performance vs immersion judgement calls. You still have to explore the options, inspect the results and make the call just like you did with the other machine.

Not every vid card performs exactly alike. You will have to discover your card's strong and weak points for yourself.

Some basic rules to keep you from getting lost while you search for the Garden of Eden:

1) FSX is not perfect. You can spend more time messing, reverting, fixing, crashing than flying.

2) No computer is fast enough to run FSX flat out at highest options with the highest demand add-ons in heavy weather flying over the densest add-on scenery at unrealistic frame rates. 30 frame lock is a satisfying and realistic setting to shoot for.

3) The majority of problems users have is poor tweaking skills and buggy add-ons.

4) Keep your expectations realistic. FSX is a CHEAP simulation not an exact imitation of the real world.

5) Change and test all your changes to the sim one at a time. Bad changes are easier to fix this way.

-Pv-

Very true Pv, thoughts to always keep in mind with fsx. Thanks!! At least now I don't have to deal with 7 fps.:)

Archived