Passenger cabin window views- where are they hiding?

HoggyDog

Does anyone know which FSX airliners have cabin window views? I did a forum search and found a thread that mostly said "none of the defaults" (Duh!) without naming a single airplane that does have such a view. Even on the payware sites, I'm not finding cabin window views listed as a feature (example: QW 757).

I have read that one could make their own cabin window view... on airplanes with a fully-modeled cabin... without mentioning any such airplanes. :( I got EZdok and "toured" the cabin of MJ's C-47 V2 trying to place a camera at a window, but when I looked out the window I got all sorts of clipping through the cabin skin if I got close enough to a window to actually see out of it. Then I had to uninstall EZdok because so far, it doesn't "play nice" with FSX:SE.

I'm trying to find a passenger window view from just behind the wing that lets me pan the camera's facing within the normal constraints that a real-world passenger would experience- in other words, no straight forward or back, no straight up or down, but somewhere near a 120-150 degree "cone" of panning in all directions, plus zooming ability. It would be even better if the window frame shows up at whichever edge I'm looking toward, and plus points for realistic head-bobs and so forth.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

I saw your question and managed to whip this up in a few minutes.

window.jpg

It's a popup window, that shows a window.

In fsx, I load the aircraft, select views-aircraft-right side window. Then popup the panel with +

I made it for the fsx default b747_400

To Add, add file 747_window_1024.bmp to your b747_400 panel folder. It's a simple bitmap with a black circle, and grey around it.

Add the following to the [Window Titles] section to your b747 panel.cfg file.

Change XX to the next number available in your panel. So if your last window available is "Window06=MINI_PANEL", add it below that and change XX to 07.

[Window Titles]
code removed, sorry, I found an error in it. Trying to fix. il88pp 

Then, lower down in the panel.cfg file, below the MINI_PANEL section, add the following complete section:

code removed, sorry, I found an error in it. Trying to fix. il88pp 

By adjusting the "size_mm=" values you can make it fit better in other aircraft I think. (Or on different size monitors perhaps.)

It's far from prefect this creation, but it gives an idea of what can be done.

You can of course create a better looking bitmap yourself if you want.

-- 747_window_1024.bmp --

I need to figure out how to attach that, stand by..

Sorry, I can't figure out how to attach a .bmp file.

Download this pic, (it's a .jpg), open it in 'Paint',

And save it as:

747_window_1024.bmp

that should do the trick.

747_window_1024.jpg

Works for the left window too! ;)

Enjoy!

il88pp.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CaptainSim planes usually have the full cabin modelled ... including the ... restrooms... with working doors...

Yes, I know, I have the CS "727 Captain" package. Sadly, the AP just doesn't work and there are some unresolved issues with the altimeter tape displaying the wrong "thousands" altitude. These issues were once resolved by a user/simmer, back when I was using FSX Deluxe SP2, but that downloaded file went away during a "nuclear" computer crash/HDD corruption event and, although I emailed him and asked about it again, he no longer has it either. So my only CS airliners are basically unflyable (for me), and based on these issues still being unresolved by CS 5 years later, I won't buy another one of their airplanes.

Realisitic head movement you get with EZ DOK.

A quote from my OP: "I had to uninstall EZdok because so far, it doesn't "play nice" with FSX:SE."

Thanks.

Hi Hoggy,

I'm pretty sure I know what you're after but not 100%. Several years ago I created a passenger camera in an AN-14. The main thing is the interior cabin has to be modeled. If you're not familiar with it you can see what's modeled by using Model Converter X.

Here's the interior cabin of the AN-14 for which I created a passenger view:

AN14.JPG

I probably have the edited aircraft saved on a disc but it would take a bit of searching and I thought I'd get this info to you. What I recall about the An-14 was that it had a door that separated the cockpit from the cabin and it was animated. All was fine when the door was open but, unfortunately, the cabin disappeared when the door was closed.

Jim F.

The method (or even the ability) to create internal fuselage views is dependent on the individual model. Some can, some can't.

There are several 757 models on the page you linked to, so for someone to investigate they need:

1) ...to know exactly WHICH model you purchased.

2) ...either already have or are willing to purchase the product you did so it can be investigated.

3) ...to add CAMERAS, any 2004 or earlier model has to be converted over to FSX. In the case of the aircraft.cfg file, these planes need camera definitions added to them because this is not an FS9 feature.

4) If the FSX model was originally an FS9 model which has been converted, and the original 3D model did not have a 3D fuselage for the passenger area (cockpit only) then there are no passenger interiors to create camera views for, so "where did they go?..." They were never there to begin with.

5) If you try to create camera views for areas of the fuselage which are unsupported by the 3D model, you will only get views of open space.

6) When purchasing payware, the best support for the product is the vendor.

achems razor

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

If you want just a 2D window view to give the illusion of sitting in the passenger seat, there are several in the library here. Search for "Passenger Window View". They are transparent in that they let you see out.

Window 3 Dawn (light on).JPG

Timberleaf

Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c

"One woman's chop is another man's turbulence"

If you want just a 2D window view to give the illusion of sitting in the passenger seat, there are several in the library here. Search for "Passenger Window View". They are transparent in that they let you see out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]180081[/ATTACH]

Other than the smallish size and semi-ovoid shape, this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, searching the Library using exact phrase "window view" as you recommend, and as stated in a previous thread on this subject, doesn't seem to be returning any hits on anything like what you posted here. That's why I posted a new thread asking an old question- the previous thread's "solution" isn't one.

I would also like to find a "window frame" that could conceivably mimic an older unpressurized airliner window- DC-3/C-47, for example.

I'll keep trying. Maybe if I search on "banana peel" I'll find it, because searching for what I'm actually looking for isn't working. :p

Thanks for posting this- at least I know now that these things do, in fact, still exist. Presumably, once I stumble upon the key words under which FSX-compatible passenger window frames are cleverly concealed, I'll be able to install one or two. :D

There are several 757 models on the page you linked to, so for someone to investigate they need:

1) ...to know exactly WHICH model you purchased.

-Pv-

Firstly, I didn't link to anything, I just mentioned the CS Seven-Five-Seven. This forum and many others spontaneously convert many things we type into unwanted links, uncontrolled by the author of the post, and mostly inappropriate and/or confusing, as in this case. :( I just chalk it up to another form of marketing spam and ignore it.

Sorry I wasn't clear. My post indicates my desire to find an FSX airliner with passenger-window views. I don't already have one, so I can't give you any particulars on which airplane I don't have that doesn't have cabin window views. :p

The Charlie Sierra Seven-Five-Seven (as long as I don't type "CS 757" the forum wont inflict another unwanted link upon us) that I posted was a "for example" of the lack of any verbiage such as "this model features passenger window views" or similar, my point being that this leaves two ambiguous possibilities:

• The airplane does not have this feature; or
  • The airplane has this feature but the vendor doesn't think it's an important enough feature to mention in the product description.

I actually do not need a modeled 3D cabin if I can find a window frame that looks "plausible" in airliners I already have- for example, the one posted here by Timberleaf would not be plausible in my C-47s but might be plausible in a B737.

Thanks-

Doug

Hi Hoggy,

I'm pretty sure I know what you're after but not 100%. Several years ago I created a passenger camera in an AN-14. The main thing is the interior cabin has to be modeled.

Thanks, Jim, but this is not what I'm looking for. I just need the window frame so I can get the view a passenger would have looking out the window. Please see my reply to Timberleaf.

Thanks-

Doug

Hey Doug,

There were a couple of things wrong with my post. I neglected to say that I didn't know of any aircraft that met your requirements and secondly I didn't mention that I was only describing how the feasibility of a possible candidate could be easily determined. No installation required.

The images I posted showed the passenger cabins of a couple of aircraft I knew of. A new camera in these could be set in a location that met your requirements; I was trying to show the "big picture", not the final location.

I'd post an image but it seems that the motherboard on my desktop has failed me. I can't get to the loading OS message or even get into the BIOS settings. I swapped the PS with another and can't think of anything else to try.

Jim F

Other than the smallish size and semi-ovoid shape, this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, searching the Library using exact phrase "window view" as you recommend, and as stated in a previous thread on this subject, doesn't seem to be returning any hits on anything like what you posted here. That's why I posted a new thread asking an old question- the previous thread's "solution" isn't one.

?

pvw.jpg

pvw2.jpg

Yes, if you do a search under FSX, and the key words are "Window Passenger Wing View", it will bring up the ones I uploaded to this website. IF none of these are what you are looking for because they aren't the type for your plane, that is fine, of course. But I just entered these words into the parameter field of the SEARCH and they popped right up, with their appropriate links.

+1 to nuitkati

Also, "Airliners.net" has a vast assortment of airplane pictures to look at (depending on what you want). For example, looking up DC-3, window, I found this.

Capture5.JPG

DC-3 Cabin.jpg

Timberleaf

Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c

Even if they were from the wrong type plane, they could be converted with

new images, or one could find a pix of the desired window, and make a new one.

It's been a while since I tinkered with panels, but I suspect the same transparent

color works with these, as with the normal panel. Which I think was 0,0,0 if I remember

right. I think that was white visually, but would show in the sim as transparent.

More pondering.. Just thinking.. You might also have to make a new "glass"

if you changed the window, or made a new one.. I haven't used any of these

yet in the sim, but I'm assuming they are maybe adding a glass layer to make it look

more realistic.. ??

MBKHOU, yes, this is essentially correct. The ones above in this thread I made and converted from pre-existing images. I used Photoshop to edit, color, shade, and convert to something FSX would read correctly and display appropriately. I am a novice, and I am sure someone else with more knowledge could render the same images better in FSX. But, basically, many images, though I learned not all, can be rendered in FSX with a transparent "window", of nearly any image anyone would want. Even the one I posted of a C-47 cabin view overlooking the propeller could be done the same. It just takes time. In the below image, with a photo editor, just white out the area you don't want, black-match the transparent, and you have a DC-3 seat. This is from YouTube. I found it by searching for "DC-3 full interior tour".

Capture6.JPG

Timberleaf

I'm assuming they are maybe adding a glass layer to make it look more realistic.. ??

Nope, these are 2D panel bitmaps.

If you want to see outside of the "window" the glass has to be black (0,0,0 RGB).

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

OK. This is insane. I repeated my search, and I still do not get what you showed. Here is the url of my search results window:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=37468229

Here is the top portion of my 13-file search results using (as I originally posted) "window view" as my search terms. This is a less restrictive search than yours, and should have returned more files than your search did, including the files your search found plus many more. But it didn't:

FlightSimAdvSearchWindowView.png

And, to avoid posting 5-8 screenshots showing my search results, here is a summary of all 13 files I found:

• FSX United "Airbus Boeing" :confused: 767 by POSKY (I missed the merger announcement) :D
  • FS2004 Level-D 767-300 "Additional Outside Views"
  • FS2004 Aero Commander Cockpit views (4 almost identical files)
  • FS2004 aircraft.cfg for MelJet B777
  • FS2004 BAe RJ Panel Update'
  • FS2002 Palmair Flightline BAe 146
  • FS98 Dash-8 Panel
  • FS98 A320 Panel
  • FS98 C182 Panel
  • FS98 "IFR Panels"

Please note:

1. Only ONE of the files is for FSX; and
  2. Only ONE of the above MIGHT (or might not) contain a passenger window view, and it is for a payware airplane that I do not own.

I have not had good success using FS9 textures in FSX. They either don't show up at all (appear blacked out) or they appear but don't look right. And of course, I have never tried to use FS2002 or FS98 textures in FSX. So, since the ONLY FSX file found in my search is for an entire aircraft, a POSKY model of a 767 allegedly manufactured by the "Airbus Boeing" company, my search essentially returned ZERO files containing what I'm looking for: authentic-looking window cabin window frames that can be used to make "wing views" of any airplane I'm flying.

The reason I attached the top of my search results is so you can see my search parameters, which are much broader (less restrictive) than yours and should have returned the files you found PLUS the files I found... and yet, your search turns up what I'm looking for and mine doesn't, even though it clearly should have.

I'm just baffled.

You entered this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]180105[/ATTACH]

Nope. I entered exactly what I said I entered: "window view." If "passenger window view" finds nn appropriate files, then "window view," which is a LESS RESTRICTIVE search than "passenger window view," should return those same nn files plus many more, such as cockpit window views, maybe even some control tower window views if anyone has made some of those, etc. But for some illogical and probably inexplicable reason, it doesn't.

I entered Window passenger wing view and got Timberleaf's downloads.

Thanks.

Then look up the file name exactly:

passenger_wing_view_v12.zip

passenger_wing_view_v14.zip

passenger_wing_view_v15.zip

passenger_wing_view_v16.zip

passenger_wing_view_v17.zip

Other versions exist. Just not all on this website. I will also take time to look at creating a DC-3 window version, perhaps with the picture above. I can't say if it will work. Sometimes coloring, shading, and integrating doesn't yield positive results.

Timberleaf

Then look up the file name exactly:

I found them using the more-restrictive search terms :confused: and am d/l two of them as we speak, but I fear one of them is WAY more than I expected- the 777 one is about 40MB, so it must be a full cabin interior or similar.

I will also take time to look at creating a DC-3 window version, perhaps with the picture above.

I like the DC-3 pics you posted, but at least one of them appears to be from a highly-customized airplane, certainly not a "line" airliner. Since I mainly fly a C-47 that sometimes masquerades as a DC-3, I would love to find both a DC-3 type window frame with minimal plastic embellishment, and a C-47 type window frame in painted metal with maybe rivets showing. Here are some RW pics so if anyone has seen similar frames for FSX they can let me know where to find them.

Typical C-47 cabin- "bare bones"- sometimes quilted padding was attached to the cabin walls. Normal "seating" (if any) might be full-length metal-framework benches along both sides with canvas or webbing for soldiers' butts:

C-47Interior.jpg

Typical finished DC-3 airliner cabin- minimal decorative framing around windows:

DC-3Interior2.jpg

The common feature of both the DC-3 and C-47 interiors is the uniformly-sized rectangular windows as opposed to the very wide picture window in one of the pics you posted. From my personal recollection of these windows, they are roughly 15 inches wide by 12 inches high, but that's from 60-years-ago memory, so maybe someone has the actual dimensions.

I guess the key is this: any window frames for DC-3/C-47 aircraft should be rectangular with straight edges and square corners, and considerably wider than they are tall. Neither of those characteristics is common on modern transport-category aircraft, which is why none of the windows I've seen so far will work with "Dakotas."

Thanks!

Doug

Finding the square window indicative of the DC-3 type aircraft online may be difficult to find, but surely not impossible. The downloads I created are ONLY 2D windows to "look" through as though you were a passenger sitting in the cabin. None are of a full interior. Their size usually indicates the detail resolution of the picture which makes it look more like the real thing. The smaller, the less detail resolution which often yields a "smearing" effect, and less realistic. At any rate, I am a novice creator trying to give back to the Flightsim community who has given so much to me.

I will keep looking, but cannot promise a positive result. I toyed around with one of the pics I posted above. The detail resolution was too small to make it work. The whole thing was basically fuzzy when enlarged to fit the desktop screen.

Several locations exist to "grab" a certain view of an aircraft interior. Youtube is an excellent resource. The catch is, if people are present, I can't use their images without permission, and copyrights may be implied or explicit in using the material without people in the image. If you have access to a DC-3, for example, and you take a picture of it yourself, it gets easier to use what you photographed.

Timberleaf

Is this kind of what you are looking for? These images are taken from FSX default DC-3, plain metal paint, within the game. They are all 2D images. None are a 3D modeling of the plane interior.

DC-3

DC-3 Window View 1.JPG

DC-3

DC-3 Window View 2.JPG

DC-3

DC-3 Window View 3.JPG

C-47

DC-3 C-47 Window View 4.JPG

Timberleaf

Archived