Trying to get a sensible route across the Atlantic?

Hi, I've come across this before but whenever I try and make a route across the mid atlantic I get ridiculous routes. (For example anywhere between Europe and the Caribean or Florida. Ive tried on a free flight planner website and in FSX and it still gives this silly route. It's really annoying as obviously this isnt the correct route.

Anyone found a workaround for this?

Untitled.png

Why is that silly? You either go South via the Azores, or you go north via Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland.

For anything more direct, you need an aircraft with appropriate range.

I've been on a 757 from the UK to Baltimore on numerous occasions, and it flies the northern route.

Don't forget the World isn't flat, so your physical route is more direct than it appears on your flat flight plan.

a) First proposed option gave me the same. The one I displayed earlier is "Recent Routes 2." - Click + Click "Analyze"

b) Export to FSX : Dispatch options -> Generate OFP

Once generated, in "Dispatch output" select "FSX" in the dropdown next to "Download FMS", then click "Download FMS" and point it to your "My documents\Flight Simulator X Files" folder. Done.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy176/buffalo2602/ScreenShot_20150509133350_zpsnvylgq3c.png

Sure you're gonna love that site !

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

I think the reason that you are being given this route is because of the range of the B757-200 you are using, as far as I know it has a range of 3900nm & the route that f16jockey has given is just over 4000nm, you could probably do this route if you stopped at Shannon or some other Irish airport for fuel.

I think the reason that you are being given this route is because of the range of the B757-200 you are using, as far as I know it has a range of 3900nm & the route that f16jockey has given is just over 4000nm, you could probably do this route if you stopped at Shannon or some other Irish airport for fuel.

I did wonder that.. but then I've flown this very flight (not sure of route) non-stop without fuelling with a B757

Actually, you know what... It could have been a 767... It was Thomson about 4 years ago.

To cross the pond you should use the NATs that are active at your time of flight. Don't know about the flight planners mentioned here, if they support NAT and PACOTs or not. FSCommander and PFPX do, and on the Simbrief screenshot there is a NAT button. When using the default FP you could type in the official waypoints using their coordinates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Tracks

simroutes.com is another online planner resource. As suggested above, the NAT feature will help you. Since our Earth is somewhat round, the shortest path between two points is not a straight line but a curve. This is known as great circle routing.

Whatever the source of your plan, you will benefit greatly from having a planning tool which lets you edit the result. Plan-G will aid you in creating plans, or editing plans from other sources to simplify them. When I get a plan with 400 points in it with 30 miles separation, I edit it down to 10.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Thanks guys. It turned out that I was trying to take a plane a distance that was beyond its range. I thought we flew on a 757 to Florida but it must have been a 767.

Im doing it now in the correct Aircraft. Modern 787. Half way across now!

11227476_10153198850710240_430377062_o.jpg

Every time I use SimRoutes.com it simply gives me an error message: "Oops! An Error Has Occured. We apologize for the inconvenience." Any site that is that fickle is not worth using, imho.

Timberleaf

Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c

"One woman's chop is another man's turbulence"

"route and the route still brings me in to the wrong runway. "

I never apply a runway to a flight plan, nor do I apply a sid or star. These things tend to change as the weather changes so I load these from an FMC on the fly at take off and landing time. The "wrong" runway is the one which has the wind in the wrong direction which can change at any time.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Every time I use SimRoutes.com it simply gives me an error message: "Oops! An Error Has Occured. We apologize for the inconvenience." Any site that is that fickle is not worth using, imho.

It does have it's quirks.. But it will work if you do everything perfectly in order.

Most of the time..

I've found you have the best luck if you have everything you want to punch in

ahead of time, and then do everything perfectly in order, and not redo the legs,

etc.. IE: select depart airport, let it show up, then select SID if used, then paste

in the legs, then select arrival airport, let it show up, and then the STAR if used.

Don't redo anything, and it will usually work. Most of the time.. lol..

I still use it, as it's an easy way to make LNAV usable routes for the FSX ATC.

Even if it bombs out, I can usually provoke it into working by doing as I describe.

I've found it's going back and redoing something that usually causes it to flake out.

I often put in the SID and STAR for many flights, as for quite a few, that does not

change with runway. But I don't put in the runway until I get that from ATC during

the descent. Also, even if you put in a certain STAR for an airport that has more

than one depending on runway, that can be quickly changed during the descent.

No biggie..

But FSX ATC deals with SID's much better than it does with STARS. It basically ignores

STARS anyway, and start to vector you once you are notified of the runway during the

descent. So it really doesn't matter much what is in the plan, as it's thrown out.

But as far as the SID, it will let you fly out using a SID no problem at all. You can

punch in VNAV real early if you want, and be good to go all the way out, with no

harassment from ATC.

Nothing to do with the aircraft. The problem is the fact that this part of the world has different "sectors" in FS. Europe on one side and USA on the other, with the bit in between. It's not a seamless transition between one and another, so the FS flight planner can't cope.

If, for example, you do some research along the boundary around eastern Canada and Newfoundland you'll find that if you zoom in some waypoints will actually disappear as you move from one sector to another. I can't explain it any more than that but it's because there are serious anomolies in these areas.

Nothing to do with the aircraft. The problem is the fact that this part of the world has different "sectors" in FS. Europe on one side and USA on the other, with the bit in between. It's not a seamless transition between one and another, so the FS flight planner can't cope.

If, for example, you do some research along the boundary around eastern Canada and Newfoundland you'll find that if you zoom in some waypoints will actually disappear as you move from one sector to another. I can't explain it any more than that but it's because there are serious anomolies in these areas.

Archived