lumberjack not working / Opus weather not smooth

efpg0708

Hello there ! Here goes two in one:

I was making an approach into SBAR (Aracaju, Brazil), rnw11, and even though I was perfectly on path and on glide, I'm pretty sure I killed some squirrels. There are lots of trees on the approach path to runaway 11. So I did some research and downloaded Lumberjack. Put it on the addon scenery folder. Nothing. Created a folder just for it. Nothing. Manually added it to FSX. Nothing. Could anyone shed some light on what may be wrong ? Or even better. If someone has lumberjack working on his/her pc, could you check if it eliminated the trees on approach to SBAR rnw 11 ? Much appreciated.

I was going crazy with FSX freezes. Reinstalled it many times. Formated my PC. And finally, I think I've hit the nail on the head: I get no freezes without Active Sky Next. So I was searching for another weather engine and came across Opus. Installed it and I'm very dissapointed with it. With ASN, the weather changes, specially the clouds, were very smooth, close to perfection. That doesn't seems to be the case with OPUS. I have checked all tbe smoothness options and the weather completely changes right in front of me many times. Does anyone have Opus installed and also have the same issue ?

Thanks

Eduardo

You will get better frame rates in ASN if you reset to defaults and use 4 layers of cloud max.

Read this guide for more information:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?272497-Active-Sky-Next-Discussions

Other have said Opus is not as smooth as ASN:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?288271-wake-turbulance-vortices-generated-by-planes-on-take-off&p=1912159#post1912159

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I have both, and Opus is not as smooth as ASN, either with cloud changes, or

more importantly for me, wind changes. I notice ASN can drag the frame rates down

pretty good if you run high settings, but that can be adjusted.. I've been running it

pretty high the last few days just to see what it will do, but I'll probably trim things

back to about how I was running Opus before too long. IE: less cloud density, etc.

I've already lowered the layers from 5 to 4..

Opus could drive me nuts some times with the wind changes aloft.. You could get

a big shift that would send you overspeed for a bit.. I haven't had that happen once

yet with ASN. It's real smooth winds aloft compared to Opus. Sometimes with Opus,

you would shift several times in a few minutes if there were several stations, and it

kept switching from one to another as you pass them. Shift.. overspeed. Shift.. low

IAS, and throttle up back to set speed.. shift.. nearly overspeed again..

Enuff to drive you crazy.. :/ And I had smoothing aloft on, but didn't seem to help too

much..

I have both, and Opus is not as smooth as ASN, either with cloud changes, or

more importantly for me, wind changes. I notice ASN can drag the frame rates down

pretty good if you run high settings, but that can be adjusted.. I've been running it

pretty high the last few days just to see what it will do, but I'll probably trim things

back to about how I was running Opus before too long. IE: less cloud density, etc.

I've already lowered the layers from 5 to 4..

Opus could drive me nuts some times with the wind changes aloft.. You could get

a big shift that would send you overspeed for a bit.. I haven't had that happen once

yet with ASN. It's real smooth winds aloft compared to Opus. Sometimes with Opus,

you would shift several times in a few minutes if there were several stations, and it

kept switching from one to another as you pass them. Shift.. overspeed. Shift.. low

IAS, and throttle up back to set speed.. shift.. nearly overspeed again..

Enuff to drive you crazy.. :/ And I had smoothing aloft on, but didn't seem to help too

much..

Yes. That's also an issue. ASN has a terrific smoothing engine both for winds and clouds.

Since I run a home cockpit with two PC's and a laptop, I'll install ASN on my laptop and network it with mu FSX pc.

That way I give more room for FSX to breathe and I hope to stop the freezes I assume ASN was causing on mu FSX pc.

If there is any direct connection to ASN and "freezes" on FSX, it would be when dense clouds are being displayed. Any weather engine could do this if your settings are too high. Restoring ASN to default settings and max cloud layers to 4 will greatly aid in increasing frame rates in dense clouds.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I used the agexcl3x.zip. I have all of the .bgl files in my AddonScenery/Scenery folder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177442[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]177443[/ATTACH]

Thanks for your answer. I have no ideia why mine doesn't work. I installed it exactly the way you did :(

If there is any direct connection to ASN and "freezes" on FSX, it would be when dense clouds are being displayed. Any weather engine could do this if your settings are too high. Restoring ASN to default settings and max cloud layers to 4 will greatly aid in increasing frame rates in dense clouds.

I'm still doing some tests. Thanks !

You need to start fsx and, in fsx, add lumberjack to the scenery library for it to work.

Just like you would when adding an addon airport.

That's only one of the options. It works just fine adding all of the files to where I did.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Correct. Lumberjack is a set of .bgl files. They are the used exclusion zones.

You could put all those files in the \addon scenery\scenery -folder, and be done. It can get kind of messy in that folder after a while as you put more stuff in.

Or, for a cleaner way.

-create a folder called \lumberjack

-in it create a folder called \scenery

-put all the .bgl files in that folder \scenery

-put the constructed \lumberjack -folder in the folder \addon scenery

(so not in \addon scenery\scenery !)

-start fsx, in fsx, add the lumberjack folder to the scenery library. Like you would do with an addon airport.

With the second method you can also switch lumberjack on and off at will using the scenery library. No file moving necessary for switching on and off then.

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived