How do I populate my FSX with real aircraft?

sidfadc

Just looking now...so basically I download the installer then pick and choose which airline I want to install but this has to be done separately for each one??

Pretty much, yes. And be advised, if you're an animation guy like me, the jetways won't work on the AI, unless you edit each cfg file.

I bought Mytraffic Lite. Cost about twenty bucks and I have most real world airlines. (But no military. You'd need My Traffic full version, or Ultimate Traffic for that.)

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Hi Sid,

To directly address the first of your 3 questions:

"How do I populate my FSX world with real life airlines instead of the default ones?"

How the aircraft appears is a function of the texture file of that aircraft. New texture files are available in the file library here and on other sites that can be used to replace an existing texture file. If replacement textures are used there will be no change in the program's operation. Everything works exactly as before.

By using fictitious airline names MS avoided the problem of aircraft appearing inappropriately at an airport e.g. Jet Blue in Moscow. It's my understanding that the WOAI aircraft are regional and avoids the problem that way.

Jim F.

WoAI uses the same model for many airlines. Put them in the exact same location every time you run the installer. If you change the location, move, or, rename, an AI aircraft folder, the next time you add an airline you'll probably end up with duplicate titles. Worms...

The installer creates a directory "WOAIDATA" that records what it has installed.

Do not move, modify, or, delete, that file...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

To shao the traffic, two things need to be present. The aircraft (for the default aircraft traffic the default aircraft in /Airplanes are used), and the traffic plan (this needs to be in a folder called ../scenery)

Good to know, the WOAI trafficplan files (.bgl file type) are fs9 style files.

All the default traffic is in one file (!) filename: Trafficaircraft.bgl (a fsx-type .bgl file)

You can not see the difference from the file extension.

Why this matters:

when there are fsx and fs9 type traffic plans installed, fsx will only display the fs9 style trafficplans.

That means that when you install some WOAI you will not see the default traffic any more.

Woai traffic only visits the airports that the airline visits in real life. If you want only WOAI, to have traffic everywhere you will need to install more then just one airline.

Some different ways to go.

-1-

Simply install a lot of WOAI,

leave the plans as fs9 plans,

The default traffic will not show.

-2-

Install the WOAI

Save the fs9 style trafficplans in a backup folder. (will be usefull later)

Also save them to a folder where you can work on them.

Convert the WOAI trafficplans in the work folder to FSX-style trafficplans. (there are some free programs that do that.)

Put them back into the correct fsx folder.

That way you can fly with the default traffic and the WOAI traffic at the same time.

Converting the plans also fixes some errors in the trafficplans. Sometimes the fs9 airports in the fs9 trafficplans have different names in fsx and that gets fixed when converting them.

The trafficaircraft.bgl file is in ..\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery

WOAI installs the trafficplan files in there also.

Best to leave them in that folder, at least for now.

The aircraft get installed by the WOAI installer in your ..\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Simobjects\Aircraft.

That gets verry messy, those aircraft are not flyable, and you quicly would lose track.

Better to create a seperate folder for the WOAI aircraft.

-1- Create a folder in /Simobjects for them, for example: ..\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Simobjects\WOAI_aircraft

-2- Open the fsx.cfg and add an extra SimObjectPaths.x line.

I added the line here as SimObjectPath.6 as an example.

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\WOAI_aircraft

-3- Close and save the fsx.cfg file.

-4- When useing the WOAI installer, point it to that folder.

-5- (The trafficplans will allways be installed to ..Scenery\World\Scenery. That you cannot, and don't have to change)

There is no need to convert the files right away. You can, for now, install a few airlines, and see how you like it.

If you want to use the default traffic again for a while, you can go to:

..\Scenery\World\Scenery

and temporarily disable the files

An example of a trafficplan file from WOAI:

Traffic_000_WoA_Aeroflot Russian Airlines_Su08_FSX.bgl

-to temporarily disable it, change the filename to

Traffic_000_WoA_Aeroflot Russian Airlines_Su08_FSX.bgl.bak

-you can simply reenable it by removing the .bak extension and renaming back to:

Traffic_000_WoA_Aeroflot Russian Airlines_Su08.bgl

I tried to stick to the basics, but the post got longer then I hoped.

Don't worry about it to much..

I just wrote because many install it without knowing about fs9 type trafficplans, installed one aircraft, went to an airport the airline doesn't fly to, and then panick because "all my traffic disappeared.

If you ever want to uninstall all of it, that's simple,

you can just delete all the traffic plans (or move them to a folder on the desktop or something) and you won't see the traffic anymore.

If you really want to get rid of it, you can delete all the aircraft from your \Simobject\WOAI_Airplanes folder too.

WOAI won't leave you "stuck".:)

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived