Real weather options?

TommyK154

At this point the only thing holding me back from P3D is the weather. Last I checked (around v2.2ish) there is no option to download real world weather into the game. I know I can use Active Sky Next and REX, but do I have any other options, like anything free, to get real weather in P3D? I'm not a fan of making my own weather and I don't want to fly in perfect weather all the time, that's why I love having real weather as an option like FSX.

Hi TommyK

There is still no option in P3Dv2.4 to download and inject weather data as it was in FSX. I haven't used FSX for quite some time now, but when I still did beginning of 2014 the weather download from inside FSX did not work anymore. Not sure if this has been changed again.

I was using REX for textures and as a weather engine for most of the last year with all P3Dv2 versions up to 2.4. Then I switched to FS Global Real Weather just recently (still using REX ESOD and REX T4 for textures). The result was just amazing, in terms of visualization and real weather perception.

I do not know if there is a freeware giving you the weather accuracy and immersion that one of the other payware tools can give you.

Cheers

Frank

At this point the only thing holding me back from P3D is the weather. Last I checked (around v2.2ish) there is no option to download real world weather into the game. I know I can use Active Sky Next and REX, but do I have any other options, like anything free, to get real weather in P3D? I'm not a fan of making my own weather and I don't want to fly in perfect weather all the time, that's why I love having real weather as an option like FSX.

No satisfactory freeware option, and you wouldn't really expect there to be for P3D as the audience is completely different.

ASN or REX Essentials is the current way to go, but they cost, so the other alternative is to learn to read METARs and inject your own weather into the sim.

FOr me, it's ASN all the way. Well worth the cost and the support is top notch. Other weather engines provide good looking weather but only ASN provides accurate placement of clouds that coincide with their weather radar. If you want a thrill, use ASN and search for a hurricane and try flying around in it.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Hi Tommy,

I use Opus (payware) and find it remarkably good:

http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi.htm

I used Active Sky for a long time and swore by it, but for 'injecting' weather into a sim, I find it hard to beat.

Cheers

Dom

do I have any other options, like anything free, to get real weather in P3D?

I can confirm that FSrealWX lite can connect and inject weather through FSUIPC

http://www.fsrealwx.net/index.php/downloads/betas

I also tried FSXWX which doesn't miss ASN by much in FSX, but unfortunately it was a stuttery mess in P3D2 for me. Your results may vary, maybe it'd be OK on a day with fewer clouds, I'd chosen a historical wx date/time that was severely overcast. Here's a link:

http://www.plane-pics.de/fsxwx/instructions.htm

I'm on the ASN bandwagon personally, those are a couple freeware alternatives you could try though.

Jim

Archived