Unable to uninstall FSX

shakir1998

I've been trying to uninstall FSX for quite long now and so far I have been unsuccessful. When I click on the uninstall button, halfway through it freezes and stops. So I try again and again and it doesn't work. I'm using Windows 8.1 by the way. I've been trying to uninstall it as FSX kind of messed up on my system and the only way to fix it is by uninstalling it and installing it again. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Are you sure the only way to fix it is to do a total uninstall? have you tried doing a Repair instead? A Repair won't really affect any addons, it will put FSX files that have been changed back to default status.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

ADDED:

I agree with MZ. Way too many people panic and cause days of grief by uninstalling FSX when there are many other ways to fix it. I haven't seen a problem on a fully working computer which could not be fixed without uninstalling.

PREVIOUSLY:

Search this forum and the stickies at the top of this forum for instructions for completely and safely removing FSX in such a way you can get a clean re-install.

Make sure your user is an administrator.

It's possible you are too impatient. Make sure you are running NO OTHER PROGRAMS (including browser and email) and watch your hard drive light for activity. If you see it flashing once in a while, the uninstaller is probably still working slowly.

Make sure none of the installation files are protected.

Lastly:

How do you KNOW "it doesn't work"?

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Are you sure the only way to fix it is to do a total uninstall? have you tried doing a Repair instead? A Repair won't really affect any addons, it will put FSX files that have been changed back to default status.

Anyway FSX probably will not uninstall before a repair so, why not repair, see if the problems are gone, and then, if not, uninstall.

BTW, a complete uninstall of FSX is not that easy, but that is another issue...

We really don't know what "kind of messed up" means to this person. It could be minor/major or a mix.

If the problem is the way certain add-ons look or act, a repair won't fix them.

If it's add-on scenery, the best way to fix is the scenery library checkboxes. If it's add-on aircraft, the best way is not to fly them until you discover how to remove them.

If it's AI, turn off the AI sliders.

If it's a mistake applying tweaks to the FSX.CFG, deleting FSX.CFG while FS not running.

If it's missing default aircraft or gauges, repair will fix those as well as resetting the FSX.CFG file.

Some people have trouble with other parts of their computer and blame it on FSX.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Before I tried uninstalling FSX I tried everything. And I have uninstalled FSX before successfully but this time somethings gone wrong and I can't figure out what the problem is. And by the way I've tried repairing FSX and that didn't work either.

I read somewhere that you have to un-install all your addons first (the ones with their own uninstaller including addon aircraft) before un-installing FSX.

Incidentally if various files on my system refuse to uninstall, I use something like Revo Uninstaller to forcibly get rid of them, but I don't know if it'd zap an entire big program like FSX-

http://revo-uninstaller.en.softonic.com/

Before I tried uninstalling FSX I tried everything.

What was wrong with fsx? Did it it start and crash? Or not start at all?

Or was there something wrong in other programs as well maybe?

If fsx was seriously damaged I'm not surprised there's a problem uninstalling.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You have not answered two important questions which have been asked:

What is "messed up?"

How do you know FSX is not uninstalled?

-Pv-

The MSMXL file was missing. I've looked on loads of websites and tried all the solutions and it didn't help. Then I was told that it would be best if I was to uninstall FSX and start over again. And I know it is still installed as it is still showing on my control panel. However two UK2000 airport addons are showing up on my installed list in my control panel but it is not letting me get rid of them. Every time I try, a window pops up saying "Could not load initialising files." Could this be the reason I haven't been able to uninstall FSX?

I know this sounds radical but it seems that a new fresh install of FSX is required, including all addons, so here goes a solution that I have used before.

1. Uninstall through Control Panel as much as you can (addons and SDK).

2. Simply delete your FSX folder (Administrator previlege required or UAC disabled).

3. Reinstall (FSX may suggest a repair, if so, accept).

A registry cleaner might be very efective between steps 2 and 3 but only to those that know what it is and how to use it.

Radical but effective. Use at your on risk.

Good luck.

Archived