No aircraft preview

MB45

Hey Guys,

So recently I had added two new textures for default aircraft, one being a US Airways paint for the A321 and the other an American Airlines 737-800. I had downloaded them from flightsim.com on a flash drive, then brought the to my computer to install. I was using a Mac when I downloaded it to the flash drive, and my computer is a Dell Vostro 230 with Windows 7. When I start FSX, there is no rotating aircraft in the preview box. When I launch the sim anyway, the view is from the floor looking up. Here's what the preview box looks like;

Untitled.jpg

Maybe it's Wonder Woman's invisible plane?! :rolleyes:

FSX Acceleration with FreeMeshX, SceneryTech, FTX Global Base + Vector, FTX AUS NZNI NZSI

Dell Precision M4400 laptop (Intel Core2Duo @ 3GHz; 4GB RAM; nVidia FX770M)

Saitek AV8R-01 joystick; 64-bit Win7 Ultimate; FSEconomy (as fun as it gets!)

Aircraft selection page looks normal with all of your aircraft showing? This happens when selecting any aircraft? Nothing else on that flash drive other than the 2 texture

zipped files and you transferred those to your computer before unzipping them?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

This happens with any aircraft, default and some Carenado planes I have. Aircraft selection page is normal with all the thumbnails for all the aircraft and that stuff. It's only when I preview them like the picture below. Note that before the file transfer everything worked all fine and dandy. I did unzip them to my desktop before installing in FSX, which I always do anyway.

Have you tried renaming your FSX.cfg to save it and then start FSX to rebuild a new FSX.cfg and see if that helps?

I assume this is what you were going for! Just verifying that the files are good!

airbus a321.JPG

I just did, get the same thing and I also just figured out when I exit flight sim is says it cannot find aircraft files. I assume this means a reinstall of FSX. And yes, that is exactly what im looking for.

I just did, get the same thing and I also just figured out when I exit flight sim is says it cannot find aircraft files. I assume this means a reinstall of FSX. And yes, that is exactly what im looking for.

How about a Repair as opposed to a total reinstall? Can't find aircraft files??? Should be FSX/SimObjects/Airplanes.

I wonder if somehow you have an extra folder hiding the airplanes?

I know where the aircraft files are, and they're there, it just something that makes it so it wont show the plane at all. I've literally tried everything I can and this same stupid problem is happening.

I found a thread on avsim of someone with the same issue.

(membership required)

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/365491-please-help-no-aircraft-preview-and-only-sky-but-no-world-ingame/

Basically he fixed it. He noticed some files were missing from the ..\microsoft Flight Simulator X\Autogen -folder. He had a backup, restored the files, and it was fixed.

Which exact files in that folder caused it did not become clear from the thread.

I replicated the problem by renaming the ..\Autogen -folder to ..\Autogen.bak and then starting fsx. The preview became like that.

(renaming back to ..\Autogen and my fsx is ok again)

- Check that you have the ..\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Autogen -folder

- Make sure the folder name is correct.

-Check you have all the files in there.

Here's a list of the files in the ..\Autogen -folder. These were in there immediately after I installed fsx gold + Acceleration. In my install, one year later still just these 8 files. And the file sizes remained the same.

AutogenDescriptions.spb - - - -344 kb

AutogenDescriptions_Mid.spb - - - -287 kb

AutogenDescriptions_Min.spb - - - -273 kb

default.xml - - - -7.408 kb

Extrusions.spb - - - -152 kb

Materials.spb - - - -48 kb

RoofDescriptions.spb - - - -54 kb

TerrainAutogenClassDescriptions.spb - - - -15 kb

If you made a backup of the full ../Microsoft Flight Simulator X/ -folder after installing (or ever made one and still have it), you should be in good shape.

good luck, il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I found a thread on avsim of someone with the same issue.

(membership required)

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/365491-please-help-no-aircraft-preview-and-only-sky-but-no-world-ingame/

Basically he fixed it. He noticed some files were missing from the ..\microsoft Flight Simulator X\Autogen -folder. He had a backup, restored the files, and it was fixed.

Which exact files in that folder caused it did not become clear from the thread.

I replicated the problem by renaming the ..\Autogen -folder to ..\Autogen.bak and then starting fsx. The preview became like that.

(renaming back to ..\Autogen and my fsx is ok again)

- Check that you have the ..\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Autogen -folder

- Make sure the folder name is correct.

-Check you have all the files in there.

Here's a list of the files in the ..\Autogen -folder. These were in there immediately after I installed fsx gold + Acceleration. In my install, one year later still just these 8 files. And the file sizes remained the same.

AutogenDescriptions.spb - - - -344 kb

AutogenDescriptions_Mid.spb - - - -287 kb

AutogenDescriptions_Min.spb - - - -273 kb

default.xml - - - -7.408 kb

Extrusions.spb - - - -152 kb

Materials.spb - - - -48 kb

RoofDescriptions.spb - - - -54 kb

TerrainAutogenClassDescriptions.spb - - - -15 kb

If you made a backup of the full ../Microsoft Flight Simulator X/ -folder after installing (or ever made one and still have it), you should be in good shape.

good luck, il88pp.

FSX runs fine now guys, turned out I had Autogen files missing. I had the backup folder and it runs fine now. Thanks everyone for your help.

MB45

Archived