IRIS Vulcan smoke possibility. ..

tyhorse

Hey people,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am a massive Vulcan fan, my Dad worked on them, I live 20mins from where XH558 is based and I love flying it in FSX. I have Just Flights model, and while its not super perfect, I added a sound file with the infamous howl (that is also missing off the IRIS model) and got used to the flying characteristics which was a challenge. But I digress.

The thing is on the IRIS model, as with the others, the smoke effect comes on when above a certain % of throttle to full power, however in real life the Vulcan smokes when it comes off full throttle after take off or part of display. So my question is, is it possible in the .cfg of the smoke fx file it can be changed so the smoke is on between a set percentage? I see parameters but at a lost what they are values for.

Regards

i5 4670k 3.4GHz OC 4.1GHz

8 Gb Ram

Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce OC rev.2

Win7 Home 64bit FSX Accel

You can add smoke, which you would activate with the 'I' key, after the 'throttle controlled' smoke stops. You can find a smoke effect that puts out a smaller amount of smoke that would stay on no matter what amount of throttle you use, by adding a (Smoke) section to your AIRCRAFT cfg.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks for your reply.

The thing is, I would want to it smoke only from say 30% to 80%, and wondered if it can be done by modding a config file somewhere, as I presume there is code to set the smoke to activate at a certain point, so can I change it?

You can add smoke, which you would activate with the 'I' key, after the 'throttle controlled' smoke stops. You can find a smoke effect that puts out a smaller amount of smoke that would stay on no matter what amount of throttle you use, by adding a (Smoke) section to your AIRCRAFT cfg.

Chuck B

Napamule

8 Gb Ram

Im sure I replied to this yesterday evening. Sorry if I repeat myself.

The point im trying to get across is this; is there a way to change when the engine smoke comes on in a .cfg file or similar. It would be more realistic if the smoke was on from say 30% throttle to 75% throttle, not like it does already.

The Vulcan doesn't have smoke from the engines in real life when they are fully open, and I was wondering if there was a way to do a mod to replicate this. I dont want smoke on all the time, just between specific points.

Regards

8 Gb Ram

The point im trying to get across is this; is there a way to change when the engine smoke comes on in a .cfg file or similar. It would be more realistic if the smoke was on from say 30% throttle to 75% throttle, not like it does already.

The Vulcan doesn't have smoke from the engines in real life when they are fully open, and I was wondering if there was a way to do a mod to replicate this. I dont want smoke on all the time, just between specific points.

Regards

Check in your aircraft.cfg file for [smoke]. If you have something under that heading, then it's usually turned on/off with the I key. Some modelers will program in startup smoke for engine start and for the IRIS Vulcan they may have added some more which you probably can't modify.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Being new to the forum, your posts are "Moderated". They will not be visible until a Moderator or Administrator approves them. Be patient please...Don

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?275939-Attention-all-new-members!

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

• 3 weeks later...
If I may contribute purely from an interest viewpoint as Im not sure how to emulate the precise effect on the IRIS Vulcan, but I too worked on Vulcans in my time in the RAF and in particular on the engines. There was a smokeless modification implemented on some of the Olympus 201's and 301's on the combustion chambers. Inefficient fuel burn equals smoke at certain rpm ranges. In reality some Aircraft would have a combination of smokeless engines and pre mod smokeys. This allowed us to send up the gullible by claiming that it was standard operational procedure to fly on one engine (The smokey one if only one was fitted). This wind up won us a few beers occasionally :)

• 10 months later...

A late reply but.... but its somewhere in the file:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\IRIS Vulcan B.2 RR201\panel\FSX_Vulcan_Gauges\SYSTEM_Effect_Controller.xml

and it looks like it's operated by No1 engine corrected N1 above 55%

I'm looking to modify the XML's due to building a Vulcan simpit... the first fix is to have four smoke effects, one for each engine that turn off when the engine dies.

PPL(A)

PPL(H)

IMC

Okay, I've done my research and have modified a gauge for the first time ever in 35 years of simming lol. Swap the code for this to get smoke between 55% and 75%.... with an added plus that you can turn off an engine and the smoke vanishes (which isn't default on the IRIS Vulcan)

(A:TURB ENG1 CORRECTED N1,percent) 55 > (A:TURB ENG1 CORRECTED N1,percent) 75  &&
       if{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE,bool) ! if{ 1 (>K:SMOKE_ON) } }
       els{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE,bool) if{ 1 (>K:SMOKE_OFF) } }

(A:TURB ENG2 CORRECTED N1,percent) 55 > (A:TURB ENG2 CORRECTED N1,percent) 75  &&
       if{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE,bool) ! if{ 2 (>K:SMOKE_ON) } }
       els{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE,bool) if{ 2 (>K:SMOKE_OFF) } }

(A:TURB ENG3 CORRECTED N1,percent) 55 > (A:TURB ENG3 CORRECTED N1,percent) 75  &&
       if{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE,bool) ! if{ 3 (>K:SMOKE_ON) } }
       els{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE,bool) if{ 3 (>K:SMOKE_OFF) } }

(A:TURB ENG4 CORRECTED N1,percent) 55 > (A:TURB ENG4 CORRECTED N1,percent) 75  &&
       if{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE,bool) ! if{ 4 (>K:SMOKE_ON) } }
       els{ (A:SMOKE ENABLE,bool) if{ 4 (>K:SMOKE_OFF) } }

PPL(A)

PPL(H)

IMC

The possibilities are endless here... imagiine have more smoke at higher power settings. the &Gt and &lt mean greater than or less than... so in theory you could have a bunch of thick smoke effects firing at one engine setting and less dense smoke at lower settings.....

Yes, the key to this is the number in this part of the code

if{ 1 (>K:SMOKE_OFF) }

Its undocumented that the smoke fx has this attribute, but Tom (knivpekka) discovered it here

It switches on/off the smoke.o, smoke.1, smoke.2,smoke.3 lines in the aircraft.cfg file.... but the values are out of sync by 1 so use 1-4 instead. This technique can be used on all aircraft..

PPL(A)

PPL(H)

IMC

Archived