No aircraft or scenery

glw

I was installing an ORBX scenery when my computer froze up and I was forced to do a restart (ctrl alt del). When it booted up and attempted to continue the download I got a message that a DLL was corrupted and needed to be replaced with an "empty" version ( I believe).

Now when FSX loads, I have no aircraft and no scenery at all. HELP!

I just ran orbx FTX again and this time it created a new dll file, but it only includes orbx scenery. still cant see any aircraft or scenery. If it helps any, I have attached what I see when fsx loads.

fsx home.jpg

SITUATION=c:\users\garry\documents\flight simulator x files\LEX.FLT

Map_Orientation=2

DisplayFuelAsWeight=1

[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]

SHOW_AIRPORTS=0

SHOW_VORS=0

SHOW_NDBS=0

SHOW_APPROACHES=0

SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0

SHOW_VICTOR=0

SHOW_JET=0

SHOW_AIRSPACE=0

SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1

SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1

SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1

SHOW_DATATAGS=1

SHOW_TERRAIN=1

SITUATION=c:\users\garry\documents\flight simulator x files\LEX.FLT

Map_Orientation=2

DisplayFuelAsWeight=1

[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]

SHOW_AIRPORTS=0

SHOW_VORS=0

SHOW_NDBS=0

SHOW_APPROACHES=0

SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0

SHOW_VICTOR=0

SHOW_JET=0

SHOW_AIRSPACE=0

SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1

SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1

SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1

SHOW_DATATAGS=1

SHOW_TERRAIN=1

What would happen if you changed these to =1?

SHOW_AIRPORTS=1

SHOW_VORS=1

SHOW_NDBS=1

SHOW_APPROACHES=1

SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1

SHOW_VICTOR=1

SHOW_JET=1

SHOW_AIRSPACE=1

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Don't know if this matters but I have this in my FSX.cfg:

[FlightPlanMap]

LineWidth=2

SHOW_AIRPORTS=1

SHOW_VORS=1

SHOW_NDBS=1

SHOW_APPROACHES=1

SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1

SHOW_VICTOR=0

SHOW_JET=0

SHOW_AIRSPACE=1

SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1

SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1

SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1

SHOW_DATATAGS=1

SHOW_TERRAIN=1

show_waypoints=1

show_airways=1

show_markers=1

show_volume_boundaries=1

show_ac_twr=1

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Your screenshot at post #11 seem to show that FSX is seeing some data regarding your SimObjects listing - i.e the Current Aircraft entry points to the default B737. What happens if you go to the selection screen and select a different model?

An option you could try is to amend the SITUATION= entry by deleting all that appears after the = sign. This will force FSX to load the default flight - i.e. the Trike over Friday Harbour with default weather and a 2006 date.

You could also check that your FSX.cfg file has the following entries under the [MAIN] section:

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

WRT the scenery issue - two options to try:

Option 1 - Go to the FSX scenery settings page and see what you have listed. Any new scenery will be at the top of the list. Disable (do not delete yet) all scenery other than the default FSX scenery - i.e as you have the Deluxe version installed you need to disable any scenery entries that you have that appear above the Addon Sceneryentry. Click OK to allow the database to be rebuilt. Also ensure that the 'Empty scenery cache on exit' option is selected. Close and then restart FSX.

If this resolves the issue you can then manually delete the failed ORBX install by deleting any relevant area(s) in scenery settings and then manually removing the files before attempting to reinstall the product. You can then re-enable any other scenery entries not related to ORBX.

Method 2 - Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX, locate the scenery.cfg file and rename it scnery.cfg.BAK - this will disable it. Start FSX and it will build a new scenery,cfg based on the default areas only. As before, if the issue is resolved you can activate any non ORBX scenery, located and delete the ORBX files and then attempt another re-install.

However, prior to re-installing ORBX I would make a backup of the scenery.cfg file so that, if the ORBX install fails again and screws up FSX, you can use the backup to overwrite the corrupt .cfg file.

Regards

Brian

What would happen if you changed these to =1?

SHOW_AIRPORTS=1

SHOW_VORS=1

SHOW_NDBS=1

SHOW_APPROACHES=1

SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1

SHOW_VICTOR=1

SHOW_JET=1

SHOW_AIRSPACE=1

Those are storage for the state of the buttons in the Map view.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Thanks Brian, that worked. But now, the scenery is there but only default scenery. Do I have to go to addon manager and select each scenery folder and add it? (I have many scenery folders), or is there another way to do it?

thanks

Thanks Brian, that worked. But now, the scenery is there but only default scenery. Do I have to go to addon manager and select each scenery folder and add it? (I have many scenery folders), or is there another way to do it?

thanks

If you used method 1 all you need to do is retick the boxes and rebuild the database. If you used method 2 you will need to activate the scenery as normal...…..

If you used method 2 the options available to re add the scenery will depend on where you plan to store it. If you are going to make use of the default Addon Scenery area then your only real option is to manually add/activate each folder as normal - time consuming I know...…

However, you may not be aware that you can place most scenery anywhere, be it in a dedicated folder within FSX, at \FSX\MySceneryFolder\ for example, or outside of the FSX completely, either on the same drive or a different drive. say C:\MyScenery\. You can also have a dedicated folder for traffic files rather than storing them in the default Scenery\World\Scenery location - a big plus if you have to delete\re-install FSX...….

If you chose this option you could then manually add the scenery as usual OR use a tool called Scenery Config Editor (SCE - download from HERE and find info/user instructions HERE). The tool has a function to do a 'block' install of scenery from a target folder structure. So for example you click on top level folder (i.e. C:\MyScenery for example) and the tool will 'read' all the folder entries below it and add then as individual scenery. I am not sure if you could store the scenery under the default Addon Scenery folder and do the same procedure - it may cause an issue because you also have the default Scenery and Texture subfolders present - but you could try it. If you make a backup of the current scenery.cfg file beforehand you will be able to get back to square one if necessary.

SCE is a relatively powerful tool that can also help diagnose scenery related issues.

Finally, as mentioned, a big plus for storing your scenery outside of the FSX is that, as long as you make regular backups of your scenery.cfg file, if you ever have to re-install FSX you can quickly get back flying as your scenery remains intact.

Regards

Brian

Archived