What is proper sequence for add ons?

Pineapple Pete

I am wanting to upgrade the scenery to my basic xplane 10. Should I install add ons in layers? For example what is mesh? Seems like this should be installed first and then build on top of that.

Some aircraft which I have seen on YouTube look fantastic. How are these looks achieve? Do you have to upgrade each aircraft or is there a universal application that will affect all aircraft both native and add on?

Perhaps I am making this more complicated than it really is? But, all I have to do is turn on my computer and I manage to flub something up. Better to go slowly than spending a lot of time undoing errors made in my haste.

By the way, being new to flight sims and having a barely sophomoric understanding of Windows, I have viewed several forums. Flightsim.com is by far my favorite. Well done and intuitive for newbies like me.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

As a general rule...downloaded regional mesh would go at the bottom of your scenery_packs.ini (Custom Scenery folder), with object libraries following above (OpensceneryX, RuScenery, The Handy Object Library, etc). Above these categories you would have your numerous custom airports.

Usually X-Plane does a good job at sorting things out, but you do have to keep an eye on your scenery_packs.ini just in case.

Regarding aircraft; it's just a case of dropping them into X-Plane's Aircraft folder. There are no gauges or effects to sort out, each aircraft is self contained.

Ah...YouTube and all those fancy effects;).

You know Steve, a lot of the 'enhanced' eye candy see on YouTube is usually post-processing video effects. However, it is possible to enhance the look of X-Plane (in game) by using its built in HDR option and numerous third party plugin filters.

Like all things though, there is no such thing as a free lunch, so using them might cause FPS issues.

No harm trying though:D

Dom

Hi Dom,

Thanks for your response. Not sure what you mean by "...at the bottom of your scenery packs.ini". Are you referring to the sequential order eg the physical location of the file. Sorry but I am rather dense.

Steve

Don't worry Pete, we all have our moments (mine are occurring with even more frequency:D).

The 'scenery_packs.ini' file (opened in any good text editor) displays what scenery is loaded and in what order. Mesh is loaded first, followed by object libraries, followed by airports.

If you open your scenery_packs.ini (found in your 'Custom Scenery' folder) you'll see what I mean:D

Cheers

Dom

Archived