Will a GTX 970 help my FPS?

Hi All,

Update..

I installed my new GTX 970 today and also did some monitoring of the CPU speed using CPU-z and the results were interesting..

When the OS was just idle and I ran CPUz the Core Speed showed 3870.72 MHz. I then went in to Bench and performed a CPU stress test which ran all cores to 100%. I expected the Core Speed to go to 4000 Mhz or close, instead it dropped below the 3870.72 that I got when Idle.. During the stress test it went down to 3790.95 MHz.

Is this normal?

Also, I installed the GTX 970 and have noticed the following changes:-

1. slight increase in FPS but not much (2-5 FPS)

2. using trackir things do seem a little smoother when moving head around etc

3. When using GPUz around EGLL with UK2000 + ORBX in the PMDG 737 the GPU utilisation went to a max of 56%, whereas previously with my 750 Ti it maxed at 99% but seem to stay around 85%.

Any thoughts / feedback?

PC: i7-4790 QUAD Core HT 3.60Ghz, 16GB RAM, Corsair Supernova GS 650w PSU, Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX, 128GB SSD (Win7 x64), 500GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD (FSX+Addons)

Monitor: 3 x 23" IPS NVidia Surround 5880x1024, 1 x 19" 16:9

Addons: Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Jetmax TQ, FDS CDU, FDS MX MCP, iVibe TFS3, Prosim:737

Congrats on the new gcard.

I think the 2-5 fps are from reinstalling the driver and setting up nvi again. Btw, also refresh your fsx.cfg. There is a part in there about the videocard. It needs refreshing.

Staying at 3.8 isn't normal. Normal is 3.6-4.0 fluctuation.

If it is too hot it gets throttled and won't reach 4.0

(My cpu reached max freq easily at around 70Celsius even.)

As you heard from mbkhou he set it at 3.8 using software. So that's possible too.

With more mem and freq the new card can do the job of putting it on the 3 screens with more ease.

Lower temp of card is to be expected too.

The lower temp may be what is also causing the 2-5 fps increase, as it is less hot in the case that helps the cpu. Especially if the card has 2 fans blowing air out the back.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

does anyone know if the software that mbkhou used to force to 3.8 will work for s non-Z MB and non-K chip?

I just can't understand why the speed came down when I stressed it all to 100%. This speed should have increased??

PC: i7-4790 QUAD Core HT 3.60Ghz, 16GB RAM, Corsair Supernova GS 650w PSU, Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX, 128GB SSD (Win7 x64), 500GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD (FSX+Addons)

Addons: Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Jetmax TQ, FDS CDU, FDS MX MCP, iVibe TFS3, Prosim:737

If it gets too hot the cpu gets throttled to protect it from overheating and burning out.

That's what turbo is. CPU runs at 3.6 base, or up to 4.0 if temperature allows.

+ google: MSI command center software. May only be available on MSI MB.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That makes sense and may explain why when I am doing a 2 hour flight it seems to get sluggish towards the end. It could be the CPU temp getting high?

Is there a good tool for monitoring CPU temp over a long period of time?

Coretemp keeps a log, as csv file, not a graph. It stores temp every X milliseconds. Stored in Coretemp folder as .csv file.

Not that easy to find max value in the list of temps.

I would just use HWmonitor. Then after intervals go to windowed mode and look at the max temp registered for each core. Also shows GPU temp. You can also reset the min/max value before continuing flying.

Then note down temps or take a screenshot of them before starting fsx, after running 10 mins, after 30 mins, etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That makes sense and may explain why when I am doing a 2 hour flight it seems to get sluggish towards the end. It could be the CPU temp getting high?

Monitor, and get data. Unless you have a very messy and dusty case (or a misapplied heat sink) it is EXCEPTIONALLY unlikely to have the CPU throttle due to heat. I can have a Handbrake job going using all 8 cores on my i7 - the core temp hits around 82C but no higher and the CPU stays at 4Ghz.

Cheers!

Luke

I did my first flight tonight since installing the new PSU and GTX 970. Manchester to Palma Spain.

Experience was an improvement. Fps slightly increased and don't drop as much as busy airports and if they do drop a bit it's not generally noticeable visually.

New gpu maxed out at 77%

CPU only had 2 or maybe 3 threads that seemed to run at close to 100%. Is this normal?

Sorry didn't capture logs was too busy wanting to fly :-0

Any feedback or questions.

does anyone know if the software that mbkhou used to force to 3.8 will work for s non-Z MB and non-K chip?

I just can't understand why the speed came down when I stressed it all to 100%. This speed should have increased??

There are a few ways you can set that, and most everything is done in the BIOS.

I'm using a MSI Z97S Krait Edition board. Can't say what other boards support, but the

cpu states are fairly standard I think. I would think most all would have some settings.

But I'd have to go back and look at what I adjusted, as I can't remember the exact

names of the settings. Been a while.. One might have been C-state related..

I can run mine with sleep idle state, which will run in normal turbo mode, but idles real

low. About 800 mhz on mine when resting.. If I turn that off, it runs normal turbo mode,

with the idle around maybe 3.4-6 or so ghz, and up to 4.0 turbo.

Or I can turn the "auto throttle" totally off, and run all cores the same speed constantly.

Which is what I've been doing, as FSX seemed to run slightly better that way.

As far as the MSI software, I can use it to adjust my speed while in Windows. The lowest

is the base 3.6 ghz, and the highest is 3.8 ghz.

The difference between constant and turbo throttling is pretty small. But I did see a

slight increase in frame rate, even though I wasn't throttling up to 4.0 at times like turbo

does. I can only think that the throttling makes it lose a little efficiency for some reason,

as when in turbo, the lowest was usually around 3.8 ghz.

BTW, mine is a non K 4790... If it were a 4790k, I'd be clocking the snot out of it, way

over 4.0 ghz.. :D

here for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html

from that text:

"Intel Turbo Boost is a technology implemented by Intel in certain versions of its processors that enables the processor to run above its base operating frequency via dynamic control of the processor's clock rate."

||

"The increased clock rate is limited by the processor's power, current and thermal limits...."

||

"....When any of the electrical or thermal limits are reached, the operating frequency automatically decreases in decrements of 133 or 100 MHz until the processor is again operating within its design limits."

Most users won't see that overheating unless they ignore cooling for what they

are running, clogged up fans, case, etc..

Any normal running box is unlikely to see that throttling back. In the case of my

non k 4790, I can't run it fast enough to even require liquid cooling. I got one with

the bundle, and it's still in the box unused. I don't have any trouble just using the

stock Intel fan. Now, if I were using a 4790k, I'd be clocking it a lot higher, and it

would run hotter. But I have enough sense to use a better cooler in that case, so

I still wouldn't see the down throttling. You would have to have a fan go kaput or

something along those lines to have a problem.

At the 3.8 ghz I run constantly, it never fluctuates no matter what I'm doing.

But 3.8 ghz for a 4790 is really no big deal at all, considering most k models can

do 4.5-4.7 ghz if clocked up.

I'm not 100% sure if this is what the thread is about, but if you want to force the higher end of the turbo boost technology the ASUS motherboard I use has a special setting for that. Mine normally runs around 4.32ghz but you can get it to a constant 4.4ghz if you set that option.

I usually keep it off...and just use the OS High Performance mode, I'd rather have the cycles ready when needed, after all you still need voltage going across the transistor for it use up the most amount of power and that is only going to happen if its switching states.

Alaskancrab,

Marks pc is a Dell, a Dell precision T1700, mini case. Probably with few processor settings. It also has a low wattage psu. The psu is not ATX, so can not easily be replaced.

His cpu, a 4790, should be running between 3.6 and 4.0 by default, but does not get much over 3.8, and this gets lower as it runs longer. That indicates something is not running optimally, and possibly getting hot when running for a long time.

Or something is not set up right, it does not have to be because of temp or voltage of course.

Regarding temperature, I do have a mild overclock and had bad cooling. The cpu hit the oc frequency, at least, in HWmonitor it showed the max frequency was reaching the oc I had set in bios. The temp then reached up to 75C at times. Fps was 15-20 at large airports.

Now, same overclock, better cooling, the temp stays below 60C. Fps increased to 25-30 at large airports. To me that means that at 75C my cpu reached the high freq but was not able to sustain it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

His cpu, a 4790, should be running between 3.6 and 4.0 by default, but does not get much over 3.8, and this gets lower as it runs longer.

I don't recall him saying that. He said "it seems to get sluggish towards the end." I haven't seen any data regarding speeds or temperatures - just a subjective feeling.

To me that means that at 75C my cpu reached the high freq but was not able to sustain it.

Look at your thread again. TJmax on your CPU is reported as 105C. You weren't getting anywhere close to that. Tmax on your Nvidia 430 is 98C - you may have been getting hitting that.

Cheers!

Luke

Archived