Saitek yoke question

shanwick

For more years than I can remember now I have always used the CH Products yoke. The yoke has now got a bit jerky pushing in and out and this doesn't ease even with the application of graphite powder.

I see that the Saitek yoke has a steel shaft so my question is does this make any appreciable difference regarding smoothness off operation or are the two manufacturer's products more or less the same?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ADDENDUM

Should have done a bit more research before posting - sorry! It seems as though I might just as well stay with CH as I can find no advantage to Saitek.

Dijvid

I have never used a Saitek yoke so I can not say if they are better or not. I think the argument for one brand over the other can go on and on with both sides making a compelling argument either way. That said, maybe I can help you get better service from your CH yoke, which I have used for many years. My recommendation would be to first clean the shaft using rubbing alcohol. Make sure to clean the groove out very well too. Now comes another long ongoing debate what, if anything to lubricate it with. CH recommends nothing after cleaning. If the cleaning alone doesn't do well enough, then use a NON petroleum based lubricant lightly. I have used silicone based that is approved for plastic and had pretty good luck although my newest yoke I have had for years, has never been lubricated. Just cleaned. There is a piece inside, the the shaft slides through that, can contribute to stickyness also. Try the outside stuff first.

I have never used a Saitek yoke so I can not say if they are better or not. I think the argument for one brand over the other can go on and on with both sides making a compelling argument either way. That said, maybe I can help you get better service from your CH yoke, which I have used for many years. My recommendation would be to first clean the shaft using rubbing alcohol. Make sure to clean the groove out very well too. Now comes another long ongoing debate what, if anything to lubricate it with. CH recommends nothing after cleaning. If the cleaning alone doesn't do well enough, then use a NON petroleum based lubricant lightly. I have used silicone based that is approved for plastic and had pretty good luck although my newest yoke I have had for years, has never been lubricated. Just cleaned. There is a piece inside, the the shaft slides through that, can contribute to stickyness also. Try the outside stuff first.

Thanks for this advice. I'll give it a try. After all, there's nothing to lose by doing this and it might well give the thing a new lease of life!

Dijvid

I beg to differ, having used CH yoke for many years like you I found it to be sticky.

The Saitek yoke is smooth and has the advantage of a very well defined neutral detente

I'll try cleaning my current yoke first and then make a decision if that doesn't do any good. Many thanks for replying to me though.

Dijvid

Do a google search for "Saitek yoke dead zone problem". On my yoke there is more of a dead zone to the left than to the right, but not enough to be a problem. Others have experienced a more severe problem.

Just to be clear this is a zone on the hardware itself where it will not send a signal to the sim. No amount of calibration can change this.

Just want you to be aware before you commit to buying one. Maybe stay clear of second-hand ones.

Do a google search for "Saitek yoke dead zone problem". On my yoke there is more of a dead zone to the left than to the right, but not enough to be a problem. Others have experienced a more severe problem.

Just to be clear this is a zone on the hardware itself where it will not send a signal to the sim. No amount of calibration can change this.

Just want you to be aware before you commit to buying one. Maybe stay clear of second-hand ones.

Ta muchly for this!

Yes, I am aware of it and I have to say that I don't really care for detents. Could be a clincher in my final decision!

Dijvid

Archived