There is only this in VC!!

wmkj

Can anyone help me with this now:confused:

dark.jpg

All system works fine except that it is like that, dark... The 2D panel also works fine. External views are normal. There are 3 sets of textures (liveries) in the folder. Only one works but not the other which the VC came out like in the pics however the liveries worked & its flyable as normal.

Mine is FSX. Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

You didn't mention which aircraft (.zip) you downloaded or from where, so I'll make up random folder names to explain the principle.

open the folder of the texture that workx. (..\the aircraft\texture.aaa)

copy the file "texture.cfg" that is in there.

copy it to the folder of the texture that does not work. (..\the aircraft\texture.bbb)

Done.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

il88pp,

Sorry for not mentioning. They all were downloaded from Flightsim.com.

Ok. I have checked the texture folder of the one that worked. However there were no 'texture.cfg' in it. Only dds file & bitmap image. In the other two folders there were cfg file & bitmap only without dds file.

What I did was I copied the dds file instead:confused:. Just tried it out & it worked ;) Yes its done. Thanks a lot for your advise. Really appreciate.

I ansdwered that a bit quick, because I didn't know the plane you had.

Here's a little more about the texture.cfg

Most planes have a folder: Texture

and then also folders: "texture.aaa" - "texture.bbb" - "texture.ccc" - etc.

the folder: "Texture" contains one full texture.

the other folders (example texture.aaa) contain only the extra files that one texture requires, or are different for it.

So, they don't contain ALL the required files usually, only the ones that are specific for that texture (aaa).

and then these also contain a file "texture.cfg"

the texture.cfg contains the lines:

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

If fsx loads aircraft 'aaa', it first looks in texture.aaa for a file.

But, if it isn't there, the texture.cfg tells it to look also for it in other folders:

fallback.1=..\texture

means:

go up one level, then orpen folder \texture, and look there for it.

fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

means:

"If the file was not in texture.aaa, and also not in \Texture,

Go up 4 levels (that is to the main "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Files" folder)

and look in:

\Scenery\Global\Texture

"

fallback.3=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

"If the file is still not found, look in... etc etc ec" (I gues you get it now.:) )

------------------------

Have a look in the B737_800 folder to see a correct example of this. it has a \Texture folder, and also "texture.1" -- "texture.2" -- etc

--------------------

Oh, and you can use the texture.cfg file from the 737 in your own aircraft. It does refer to a folder called \Texture of course.

So, you may have to rename folders, or adjust the texture.cfg file. (I would rename folders I think.)

Give the name of your aircraft if you need more assistance.

Also, you can open the texture.cfg in notepad. (but don't select "always open this type of file with this program")

-------------------

What you did, putting the neccessary files in the folder, will work too.

But I think using a texture.cfg is better, just in case textures from \Global\Texture are also required.

---Well done though. Think outside the box!

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi il88pp,

You've thought me something that made me easy to understand & had made me thinking of other possibilities to work the other way round. A layman like me plus with all those 'technical' thingy, now gets me more clearer. Perhaps there are more other thing than this. Slowly it will helps me to understand what is 'inside' fsx.

Again thanks for your time & effort, il88pp

Glad I could help you out.:)

And with this fantastic forum there's a good chance it will help out others as well.

When I looked at a texture.cfg for the first time it looked like hocus pocus to me. Then I opened a few more and saw... They were all exactly the same inside!

Then I realised each aircraft has a folder called simply "Texture". And suddenly I "got it" and it all fell into place.

Enjoy!

il88pp

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can use a texture.cfg to link more than 2 texture folders, I often use it to link a shared texture folder in an aircraft folder to a texture folder in another aircraft folder to share the VC textures.

Here's an example:

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture.Shared

fallback.2=..\..\Beech_King_Air_350\texture

Just for the record, this last entry is totally useless. It was used only by ACES in their studio to point all remote sims to their base server's files...

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived