Why a 'Go Around'

ColR1948

A game? I suppose, but it does fall within the theme of simulation, and the whole point of the 'game' is to respond as a pilot would and face the challenges of conducting a 'safe' flight (Okay, we all have fun sometimes, but doing that in real life - which is what a simulation is simulating - can be very very fatal).

It isn't always obvious in real life why ATC gives out commands. Sometimes the pikot does ignore them. Like the incident I witnessed as the ground station cleared an aeroplane on finals only for another aeroplane on the ground to lose patience and begin his takeoff. Luckily the airborne aeroplane spotted him with less than twenty feet of height seperation. And funnily enough he decided to go around, clearly annoyed.

I was once stuck on the threshold with a wayward parking brake, struggling in the cockpit to free the wheels and begin my takeoff run as ATC had cleared me, when the radio crackled and an arriving pilot pilot began his finals. I had to make a call to make the second pilot aware of the problem (ATC too, but they were less dangerous to me at that point). Again, the other pilot went around, as he could not see me from his relatively nose high vantage point.

Archived