Upgrade advice

hi,

My current computer is about 5 years old now so looking to upgrade. I'll be reusing:

Corsair HX-850 Power Supply

Noctua NH-D14 cooler

Coolermaster HAF X Case

Gigabyte GTX 770

1TB HD (Just for pics, videos, docs etc)

I am looking to get:

CPU: i7-4790K ( which I plan on overclocking)

Motherboard: ??

RAM: ?? Probably 16gb

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 128gb (for Windows) & Samsung 850 Pro 512gb (for flight sim software, scenery etc)

I'll be using it for flight simming (especially FSX) as well as general gaming and work.

Any advice (especially mob and ram) would be greatly appreciated!

Ok,

That's what I think is a good option.

CPU:i7-4790K, considering the fact you have a good cooler, you can overclock it something like 4.7-4.8GHz.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 or Asus Z97 PRO Gamer.

RAM:12GB is enough. 3 HyperX Fury 1600MHz bits of RAM are fine. Or, if you want sdpend less money- 8GBs.

Storage: You could get a 1TB HDD for the flight sim and an SSD for Windows, preferably the 128GB Drive. Or the 512GB SSD for the sim and 128GB drive for the OS.

That's my suggestion, hope you like it.

Cheers,

Jan

My Blog:http://thebadpilotsblog.blogspot.com/ My PC: i7-3970X up to 4.0GHz, Gigabyte GTX970 OC, Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme, Kingston HyperX Beast XMP 16GB, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB, Noctua NH-D15, Thermaltake SE Smart 630W, Cooler Master CM690 III, Windows 10.

That sounds like very good advice to me.

One thing, I would recommend a larger Disk for the OS.

I have a 256 Gb SSD for the OS and programs, and I'm starting to whish I got a 512 Gb one.

Then again, I do have FSX on C:\\, 30 Gb in size.

Still , I would recommend at least a 256 gb SSD. With a few large programs you will start running out of space sooner then you think.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for your advice peoples. Well after some thinking, I've decided to go for a Skylake system instead since I'm going from an old i7-950. I'm thinking of going for:

CPU: I7-6700K

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5

RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVK 16gb (2x8gb) DDR4

Samsung 850 EVO M.2 250gb SSD (for OS)

Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500gb SSD (for flight sims, scenery etc)

Does this look ok?

It looks good to me. You can get a little less RAM for the sake of spending less money, but 16GB isn't that much of an 'overkill' for FSX. The SSD's are just fine.
My Blog:http://thebadpilotsblog.blogspot.com/ My PC: i7-3970X up to 4.0GHz, Gigabyte GTX970 OC, Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme, Kingston HyperX Beast XMP 16GB, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB, Noctua NH-D15, Thermaltake SE Smart 630W, Cooler Master CM690 III, Windows 10.

Archived