Optimizing PC

Hi :)

I play alot of FSX with alot of Addons both Free/payware.

But my PC feel slow and sometimes it only have about 10FPS, when im flying low/near at some Scenery like "Fly Tampa Copenhagen".

I think that maby because of my GPU is to slow.

Here is my spec:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-M

CPU: Inten Core i7-2600 3,40 GHz

GPU: ASUS HD7850

Ram: 2 x Kongston hyperX 4GB 1600GHz

I think i will upgrade the GPU, and which one do you then recommended that i buy?

And are there something else you recommend that i upgrade?

I have similar specs to you but I have a nvidia card instead of the ATI.

One thing I done when I recently reinstalled windows and FSX was to use the scenery configuration tool and remove all unwanted scenery before flying. For example if I fly from EHAM (Amsterdam) to LEBL (Barcelona) I disable my UK 2000 Airports, Dubai, Greece etc.

I will leave on my alternate airport and usually one on route in case of an emergency.

I also have Active Sky Next, orbx and ultimate terrain Europe. I fly the PMDG 737 OR the 777.

With this and my nvida inspector settings I get about 28-35 fps at high impact airports such as EHAM or EGLL

Mike

Upgrade the CPU. Sorry, but FSX is about CPU horsepower, and unfortunately, that means you might be looking at upgrading the motherboard and the power supply also. Your new graphics card might mean a power supply upgrade in itself. Never skimp on the power supply.

You probably have done this already, but keep your Windows installation updated through Windows Update, and defrag your hard drive(s) regularly.

Jorgen

Overclock.

Learn how to do it, accept the risk and get x% more performance for x% overclock.

Depending on how far you want to go, you may need a bit more than stock cooling.

The value of x is pretty linear in my experience.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

If i have to upgrade my CPU and Motherboard wich one can you recommende?

The best you can afford that gives you the most oooph for your $$$

If you can buy an unlocked CPU and decent MB then you have the ability to up the Speed of the processor without having to shell out for the next model

Your ASUS P8Z77-M will be fine with a Sandy or Ivy Bridge "K" suffix(unlocked) CPU.

The Z77 chipset is Ivy Bridge, but, also backward compatible with Sandy Bridge CPUs.

Sandy Bridge: i5-2500K 3.3GHz, i5-2550K 3.4GHz, i7-2600K 3.4GHz, i7-2700K 3.5GHz.

Ivy Bridge: i5-3570K 3.4GHz, i7-3770K 3.5GHz.

The i5 chips don't allow Hyperthreading(HT), which is fine. You don't need it.

The i7 CPUs are faster and do allow HT. HT can be a hindrance to an OC. Turn it off.

All of the above CPUs should get over 4GHz on the stock cooler.

The faster ones will give an overclocking headstart.

For a more aggressive OC, add an aftermarket CPU cooler..

This thread actually belongs in the PC Hardware, Video And Audio Help Forum

So...Off we go...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

I still manage to get an average of about 15 FPS at complex airports. Obviously your mileage may vary but it's definitely worth a look.

Shocking, it was 12fps 6 years ago with a 3.0GHz Core2Duo and it is 15fps now with i7, 6 years since.

I am about to build a system, just to go from 12fps to 15fps?

No! Double digit fps is unacceptable nowadays...actually it was almost unnacceptable back then.

With my old system below I still got 50-100 fps at medium settings even when I switched from 3 monitors to 2 projectors.

Asus P5N-D Motherboard

Intel®core 2 CPU

6400@2.13 GHZ

2.13GHZ

3.00 GB RAM (4 GB but on windows xp 32)

Corsair TX 750 W supply

GTX 280 1 GB DDR3 Video Card (50 FPS on average)

3 24 " LG Flatron widescreen monitors

1 19" monitor (panels)

5.1 altec lansing surround sound speakers and subwoofer

With my new system I cruise at 200-250 fps at max settings.

(see description for specs)

Honestly, check out this site if you want to know how to build a system.

http://jetlinesystems.com/performance.php

Also, check your display settings...some options can really drain your fps.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/attachment.php?attachmentid=173293&d=1414688355&thumb=1

On a side note...nvidea cards are believed generally to handle fsx better than ATI.

1000 fps at default settings!

No! Double digit fps is unacceptable nowadays...actually it was almost unnacceptable back then.

With my old system below I still got 50-100 fps at medium settings even when I switched from 3 monitors to 2 projectors.

Asus P5N-D Motherboard

Intel®core 2 CPU

6400@2.13 GHZ

2.13GHZ

3.00 GB RAM (4 GB but on windows xp 32)

Corsair TX 750 W supply

GTX 280 1 GB DDR3 Video Card (50 FPS on average)

3 24 " LG Flatron widescreen monitors

1 19" monitor (panels)

5.1 altec lansing surround sound speakers and subwoofer

With my new system I cruise at 200-250 fps at max settings.

(see description for specs)

Honestly, check out this site if you want to know how to build a system.

http://jetlinesystems.com/performance.php

Also, check your display settings...some options can really drain your fps.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?283829-1000-fps!&p=1886607#post1886607

On a side note...nvidea cards are believed generally to handle fsx better than ATI.

Sir you are missing the point, performance in cruise was a lesser of all aspects ever bothering simmers. The concern is addware airports like the mentioned FlyTampa Copenhagen (not the worst scenery at all) where people get 10 to 15 fps as reported above. How do we go about that?

By "cruise" I meant flying around in GA...not cruising at FL200. I have not tried fly tampa though so I can't really speak about that. I fly around Earth simulations Isles of Man, Alderney, Guernsey and Scilly with no problem...

That's correct, but there was never a problem flying around in GA. Serious problems are present when flying a PMDG (or equal) software airliner into an add-on airport by Aerosoft, FSDS (or equal). Seems like there is no cure to that -(

Archived