NTSB releases first report on Cessna, F16 collision

NikeHerk67

On July 7, 2015, at 1100 eastern daylight time, a Cessna 150M, N3601V, and a Lockheed-Martin F-16CM, operated by the U.S. Air Force (USAF), collided in midair near Moncks Corner, South Carolina. http://www.wyff4.com/news/ntsb-releases-first-report-on-cessna-f16-collision/34235266

I realize hind sight is 20/20 and decisions need to be made in a matter of split seconds in these situations. However it's my opinion, after analyzing the NTSB report, that the error could have possibly been partially made by ATC, even though it seems that the F-16 hesitated and didn't understand the directive to be immediate instead of after 2 miles. Again there was an 8 second delay before ATC responded to that as well.

First of all Berkeley County Airport (50J) is located about 17.5 miles due north Charleston Air Force Base/ International Airport (KCHS) or about 6 degrees magnetic, since the Magnetic Variation is 5.3 degrees at that location in the world. (not a huge difference and not really pertinent, just saying for accuracy here.)

The report states that at 10:57, a radar target displayed information later correlated to be the Cessna in the vicinity of the departure end of the runway at Berkeley County Airport. The Cessna did not contact Charleston Air Force Base/ International Airport, and was not required to do so.

At 1100:49, the radar target of the F-16 was located 1/2 nautical mile northeast of the Cessna, at an indicated altitude of 1,500 feet, and was on an approximate track of 215 degrees. At that time, the Cessna reported an indicated altitude of 1,400 feet, and was established on an approximate track of 110 degrees.

At 1100:52 the controller advised the F-16 pilot, "traffic passing below you 1,400 feet." At 1100:54, the radar reported altitude of the F-16 remained at 1,500 feet and no valid altitude information was returned for the radar target associated with the Cessna.

After analyzing the whole situation and the two aircrafts locations, ATC should have instructed the F-16 pilot to right instead of left since the F-16 was located 1/2 nautical mile northeast of the Cessna with a heading of 215 degrees.

I know it hasn't been mentioned at all, but IMO ATC should have instructed the F-16 to climb as separation could be attained faster in a climb than during a turn and since the F-16 was already 100 feet above the Cessna. Also it's assumed that the Cessna was climbing as he was only at 1400' three minutes after being visible on the controller's radar.

It would have helped to know to reenact the situation if we knew what the active was at Berkeley County Airport that day. I'm assuming, since the Cessna pilot was heading 110 degrees just 3 minutes after TO, that it was RW 5.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome. I've never flown an F-16, but realize they're a lot faster than a Cessna. I have flown a Cessna and 1400' 3 min after takeoff is a very reasonable altitude and also assume he was still climbing, possibly to 3500', with an easterly heading.

Herk

Acer Predator AG3620-UR308, 3rd Gen. Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology up to 3.9GHz (8MB Cache), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SC (2GB), 2 TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, 12GB DDR3 SDRAM, Windows 8

When it's available, I would like to see the video of the NTSB 'Sunshine' Meeting regarding this incident. Videos of the other meetings that have been released (Colgan 3407, Asiana 214, the Galloping Ghost) were quite informative.

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

As I understand, the F-16 was performing a practice instrument approach - however, if he was at 1500 MSL, he no doubt was on final at something like 150 KIAS. Pullup with added power is easily done, but response and increase in rate of climb would initially be slow (he would likely have to transition from a rate of descent on final).

I flew a lot of military jets in my time (mostly Navy) and they are very nimble, but when at approach speed you can get only so much out of one in a short period of time. Watch TOP GUN again sometime; "Wave Off!", "Wave Off!", "Wave Off!", -- ramp strike (even though it was actually an old F9F-5 Panther). Those had real slow engine spool up compared to today, but nonetheless.

Tough situation to be in.

As I understand, the F-16 was performing a practice instrument approach - however, if he was at 1500 MSL, he no doubt was on final at something like 150 KIAS. Pullup with added power is easily done, but response and increase in rate of climb would initially be slow (he would likely have to transition from a rate of descent on final).

I flew a lot of military jets in my time (mostly Navy) and they are very nimble, but when at approach speed you can get only so much out of one in a short period of time. Watch TOP GUN again sometime; "Wave Off!", "Wave Off!", "Wave Off!", -- ramp strike (even though it was actually an old F9F-5 Panther). Those had real slow engine spool up compared to today, but nonetheless.

Tough situation to be in.

Thanks for your input Alan and Mike!

The reason I posted this is that I believe this is an interesting scenario for flight simulator, and even real pilots to investigate, walk through and discuss. Put yourself in a NTSB hot seat and see what you come up with. The information we have is enough to make an educated guess; although I haven't heard or read exactly which RW the Cessna took off from Berkeley County Airport (50J.

By using some logic, my guess is that the Cessna took off from RW23 for several reasons.

A) The F-16 was presumably on course to intercept the ILS of RW15 (153 degrees) at KCHS.

B) The prevailing winds at that location in the world are from the SW.

C) RW23 is probably the most active runway at 50J since it's pointing in that direction.

I'm not a pilot, however have flown the C172 and in the early 70's the high winged Aero Commander 100 several times during lessons. (life kept getting in the way every time I'd get ready to solo)...first a work related injury then marriage and kids, bla bla bla. I have a couple log books with a half dozen hours and a 3rd with an hour, plus many $50 dollar breakfasts with a couple of pilot friends. :)

Anyway, the MOS in the service was that of a radar maintenance technician and am familiar with how the acquisition radars work, which is the same as what the approach and departure ATC'ers are looking at. The range of those radars is just a bit over 40nm. At least that is how they worked in the late 1990's which is probably the last time I've been in a control tower. (Good luck trying requesting to observe ATC today after 911) :(

It says in the report that the Cessna came visible at 11:57. At only somewhere, +/- 17nm out, the Cessna would have cleared ground clutter fairly soon after TO, well within the first couple of minutes after TO at most. At 1100:49 they had already turned to a heading of 110 degrees which was 3:49 minutes after they were visible on radar.

Try this: Go to Berkeley County Airport (50J) in FS and even in the Cessna C172 if you don't have a C150 which is slower. TO from either RW5 or 23 and turn to heading 110 degrees.

My point is this: Even if they'd taken off from RW23 at 10:55, two minutes before they were visible, they wouldn't have had time to reach KCHS RW15's ILS glide path, so the F-16 couldn't have been on final approach at the time of the collision. Also, KCHS RW15's ILS glide path is a heading of 153 degrees 62 degrees off of 215 degrees. So even if the Cessna had been flying straight out from RW23, which they weren't, since they'd already turned to heading 110 degrees. At bare minimum the F-16 had to have been at least (=>7nm) from the ILS/GS.

No matter what the exact location of impact, ATC should never have instructed the F-16 to turn (left) to a heading of 180 degrees while flying a heading of 215 degrees and when located 1/2 mile NE of the target AC, which they weren't in contact with.

Interesting to note: It appears that the F-16 had been vectored to intercept RW15 ILS, since it was on a course of 215 degrees, which is at a 62 degree offset angle to of RW15 ILS approach.

Pilots! Am I missing anything here? Have I left any obvious stones unturned? :confused:

As Alan mentioned, it'll be interesting to see the results of this investigation if available. Knowing how the government works, it will probably take a great deal of time. :(

PS: Please keep in mind that I'm not trying to point fingers or implicate anyone with this exercise. Heaven forbid, my brother was an ATCer and one of my youngest son's best friends is an ATCer. I'm merely interested as an FS enthusiast.

Herk

Acer Predator AG3620-UR308, 3rd Gen. Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology up to 3.9GHz (8MB Cache), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SC (2GB), 2 TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, 12GB DDR3 SDRAM, Windows 8

Archived