Overclocking CPU for Prepar3D

Arghya,

I can only speak from my experience with ASUS boards (I am currently running the Maximus VII Gene - I need to run an m-ATX sized board for my case), and I find them excellent, especially when it comes to overclocking, but I do understand that they're not the least expensive around. There are many other great board manufacturers out there but I cannot comment on them. Just research until you're comfortable with knowing what each board offers, read actual user reviews, etc., and then decide what you think may meet your needs. What's important to me in a motherboard, may not be important to you, and vicey-versa.

As darryl737 mentioned, you might want to wait a bit for the prices on the "not-as-new" intel chips to drop, at least that's what I would do at this point. I would advise against trying to save a little money on the motherboard, as it is the one component that ties everything together and can dictate (for the most part) how the other components work to their potential. But, that's just my little old opinion, YMMV.

Also note this- the more complex addons you want to run, generally the higher the clock speed you will need for a "smooth" experience. At least that's how I find things in FSX... P3D may be a different story - I can't say as I am not currently running P3D.

By the way, have you tried running the sim with 8GB of RAM yet? If so, any difference? When I was running my Phenom, I noticed a difference when upping the RAM from 8GB - 12GB, but I dropped it back down to 8GB because I wasn't able to achieve as high a stable overclock with the extra 4GB - the motherboard was not designed for overclocking - and CPU clockspeed in FSX (and I believe this is true for P3D) is king. I've never run FSX on less than 8GB....

Hope some of this helps,

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you still want to tweak -

looking at your CFG, there are a few oddities... it would be easier to check screenshots of the settings in your sim...

- OBJECT_SHADOW_CAST_DISTANCE: why is there still a value greater than 0? Object shadows are the worst for performance

- HDR=1, BLOOM_LEVEL=2 should both be 0 - you cannot afford bloom yet

- And try to turn Tesselation off, see if it makes a difference

Please do not jump right into the NGX. Give us a screenshot including FPS reading with the standard situation too (That is the F22 at some AF base, right?)

Hi Guys,

Can you please suggest a good Z97/Z87 Mobo for my P3D rig? I will be buying the i5-4690K but I am not sure as to which Mobo to go for. I have seen the Asus Maximus VII, but it is too high priced(I personally feel like it will be an overkill for my rig to buy this mobo). I want the best I can get at a low budget.

The Maximus is a great motherboard for sure, and once again all the major manufactures have rolled out their new motherboards to match the Intel Skylark release. I don't think that it will effect the price much of their older boards yet.

For my budget builds I tend to use Gigabyte boards as they are solid performers, overclock very well, and come with some great functions like duel BIOS. There chipsets are solid as well with great expandability.

Its easy to fall in to the trap of wanting a particular motherboard because of the way it looks and lose sight of what it does or doesn't do, what you will use and what you wont. In most cases the extra money you pay for a expensive board are for functions that the average user will never use.

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Archived