SSD vs HD, EVGA GTX970 vs GTX980

annber

Yes, the inspection @ newegg found the motherboard to be defective. Right now waiting for newegg to post the $$ credit in order to purchase new motherboard, should happen today.

The problem I have now is that the same motherboard is out of stock at newegg for the foreseeable future, it is in stock at other place but $40 more than what I paid at newegg ($188).

Thoughts are welcome regarding a possible replacement. It was suggested to me a few months ago that the following motherboard could be a good fit, could anyone here confirm if in fact that is the case or if there is anything better for my system?

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks guys, hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.:)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Annber,

Well at least you're a step closer :)

Here is a list comparing all the ASUS Z97 chipset motherboards and their features:

http://www.asus.com/us/site/motherboards/Z97/comparison/

I went with the Maximus VII Gene ONLY because I needed the smaller form-factor to fit in my computer case and it had good reviews - it works very well for my needs.

Hopefully others will be able to chime in with their experiences with other motherboards.

Happy Hunting!

E-Buzz :pilot:

i5 4690k @ 4.7gHz (Water-cooled), 8GB ram, GTX 960 2GB, 850 EVO 1 TB SSD, 50" LED TV + 2x27" monitors, Thrustmaster HOTAS, Win 8.1 Pro, P3DV4, TrackIR, EZDOK, a bunch of Orbx stuff, a chair, a hacked-up desk, and a cold drink.

Upada te, finally got my newegg credit. I was at the shop this morning, telling them that I was thinking of buying the Asus Maximus VII hero, but they said that I should just buy the cheaper Asus pro gamer. Since I have no idea about this things, which of this two is better for FSX and P3D to go with my EVGA GTX970?

The Maximus VII Hero goes for ------$219.00

The Z97 Pro Gamer goes for ---------$159.00

It's not about money, but I am so frustrated by the whole experience and I just want to finally get it right, whichever is a better fit.

This is from the HERO's specifications:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROG Exclusive Features

Extreme Engine Digi+ III :

- 8 + 2 phase power design

- NexFETâ„¢ Power Block MOSFET

- 60A Ferrite Chokes

- 10K Black Metallic Capacitors

KeyBot

- CPU Level Up

- XMP

- Direct Key

UEFI BIOS features :

- GPU.DIMM Post

- Tweakers' Paradise

- ROG SSD Secure Erase

- Graphic Card Information Preview

ROG RAMDisk

GameFirst III

Extreme Tweaker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what you need for good overclocking.

Especially these features:

Good power to the CPU from--->

Extreme Engine Digi+ III :

- 8 + 2 phase power design

- NexFETâ„¢ Power Block MOSFET

- 60A Ferrite Chokes

- 10K Black Metallic Capacitors

Ability to overclock high is what this is I think ------>

KeyBot

- CPU Level Up

This probably givs the options of saving an overclock setup once you have a good one. Then set up another way, save that, and save several different profiles. ------>

UEFI BIOS features :

- Tweakers' Paradise

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other mainboard does not have these functions. Choose the HERO.

(You did not buy that fantastic fast overclockable i7 for nothing now did you... )

PS, Stay away from the "add page" -- all that stuff is there to dazzle and confuse you. If you read that info every one looks like the best buy you could ever do in your life. It's designed to daze and confuse you, and to get you so riled up and unsetteled that you really feel you need to spend some money to calm yourself down. 1+1 equals yet another sale. ka-ching!

Example:

https://www.asus.com/gr/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/overview/

(just scrolling that page alone makes me wanna poke my eyes out... )

Instead click on specifications. That's where the detailed comparison starts.

Here for example (HERO):

https://www.asus.com/gr/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/specifications/

And here (Other one, Z97Pro_Gamer):

https://www.asus.com/gr/Motherboards/Z97PRO_GAMER/specifications/

Never compare this stuff on the newegg site or other vendor sites. they do not always have the best info.

Check on the newegg site what revision of the mainboard they are selling, (hopefully the latest), and then look up the specifications page for the part with that revision on the manufacturers site.

Good news you got your refund!

And determined what the issue was, a mainboard. Should be smooth sailing from here on in.

il

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What il said +1. Asus makes 'smart' MBoards. But nothing beats having QUALITY components (here is where longevity lives). 'Built to Miltary Specs' means just that. Tough, durable, stable under varing temps, humidity, power fluctuations (house 110V), and continuous use. And when you throw in overclocking you NEED those quality components. Pay me now - or pay me (more) later' comes to mind. There is no book named 'Motherboards For Dummies'. It takes experience. Go for the Hero. Then let your mind rest easy - with steady 40 fps in FSX - and no 'issues'.

CB

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Yes, I went for the Hero, it arrived today and I took it to the computer shop right away. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I will have it at home. Praying that no more problems come up.:)

Nice Annber, good choice going with a Asus motherboard, I have never had a problem with one yet and the BIOS is very user friendly. Glad you got things sorted in the end.

Darryl

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

Archived