Wave effects in small water bodies

Okay, so I'm running

Rex with wave animation

UTX with water bodies Active

FSX water 2x High

and everything looks pretty good except I have wave effects of the same scale in small lakes and ponds as I do in the ocean. These look fine in the ocean or very large lakes but it looks like I have 4 ft waves in little farm ponds and streams. Can someone tell me how to stop that from happening? I don't know whether Rex, UTX or FSX are creating these waves in the small water bodies.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Hi, sorry to point this out, but didn't you ask the same question a year ago?

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?277398-High-waves-in-small-water-bodies

AFAIK there is only one water effect setting in FSX and it applies to each and every water body in FSX - even rivers have those waves. Afraid you can't do anything about it, except changing the water effect every time you fly over land vs flying over the ocean.

Hi, sorry to point this out, but didn't you ask the same question a year ago?

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?277398-High-waves-in-small-water-bodies

AFAIK there is only one water effect setting in FSX and it applies to each and every water body in FSX - even rivers have those waves. Afraid you can't do anything about it, except changing the water effect every time you fly over land vs flying over the ocean.

Ha! Thanks for reminding me. Very embarrassing:) Well, at least I am consistent. On any given day there are so may things we are chasing down with this sim, I need to keep a written list.

I use FS Water Configurator to lessen that effect.

When I first got Orbx global, I noticed they used pretty light colored water, and

the effect you mention stood out quite a bit. Also, that light colored water doesn't

really look that realistic to me. I use a good bit darker shades for the most part,

and less reflectivity and such.. I have several custom water settings that I've been

using, trying to decide which I like best overall.

I use FS Water Configurator to lessen that effect.

When I first got Orbx global, I noticed they used pretty light colored water, and

the effect you mention stood out quite a bit. Also, that light colored water doesn't

really look that realistic to me. I use a good bit darker shades for the most part,

and less reflectivity and such.. I have several custom water settings that I've been

using, trying to decide which I like best overall.

Thank you for the tip I went and downloaded it and will give it a try.

Thanks

Rick

snip---------------

Nonsense

There are 5 common terrain vector shorelines used in FSX which are Bay Harbor, Canal, Lake, Ocean and River. Only the terrain vector Ocean shoreline renders the wave action that is animated.

If the OP has waves in lakes then the 3rd party terrain vectors have been set to Ocean and not lakes which are much wider then the other shorelines.

jim

Nonsense

There are 5 common terrain vector shorelines used in FSX which are Bay Harbor, Canal, Lake, Ocean and River. Only the terrain vector Ocean shoreline renders the wave action that is animated.

If the OP has waves in lakes then the 3rd party terrain vectors have been set to Ocean and not lakes which are much wider then the other shorelines.

jim

OK. I thought the OP meant the wave action/effect of the water body itself not the one on the shoreline. At least that is the one I observe in my sim, doesn't matter what kind of water it is. The open water moves in specific patterns, and this looks really weird on larger rivers and lakes. Each and every one of them.

If the OP does mean the water wave effect off shore then you are correct and I am the one that misunderstood the post.

Pretty sure he's talking about the roughness of the water, which is largely

texture. But the FS Water Configurator does let me play around with the

shader settings, and I can adjust a few things. I like it a lot better now, than

the stock Orbx Global water color which I felt was too light, and made the "chop"

stand out a lot. Even many of the small lakes and even rivers and wide streams can

show that choppy wave look, which looks more like something off Galveston Bay,

than a small lake or river.

With the tweaked settings, I was able to make most of that a good bit less noticeable,

with the water colors looking more natural to my eyeballs.

2012-6-26_22-20-56-312.jpg

If the OP does mean the water wave effect off shore then you are correct and I am the one that misunderstood the post.

Sorry to create confusion. What I am trying to say is that the surface wave pattern I see with water set on 2x High in the ocean in open water looks great. The sparkling of the sunshine on the water is beautiful. However, the same wave pattern appears in lakes and streams and it looks out of place. I'll be flying today and I'll post a screen grab later to show what I mean.

I believe Jim above is pointing out the whitish wave action on the immediate shoreline simulating waves crashing on the beach. That was not my specific question. My question regards the open water wave pattern. Nuitkati above offered the opinion that the wave pattern is the same in all water bodies from FSX. My related question was whether one of my addons (UTX, REX) may be creating the wave patterns in the lakes and rivers.

Thank you for your help all.

Edit:

Here's a pic I found by googling that shows the effect I am talking about. See how the waves are the same in a tiny water body and the larger one? This is my question. Can that be changed so the smaller body has no waves?

I think the wave pattern is about the same for most water, as most all use the

same water textures. And I don't think add on scenery programs are changing much,

unless they actually change the water textures. The white which is simulating sun

bouncing off the waves is in the texture itself and likely partly effected by the

shader settings. I noticed that the Orbx water seemed to look lighter than the

default FSX water. Which I'm fairly sure they changed the water textures in

FTX Global. And they seemed to bring out a lot of that white chop, even with the

small streams and such. What I did was to darken the water blue a tad, and then

I tweaked the shader settings to make the white chop look less obvious.

I think I also adjusted for a bit less reflectivity from the sun, and I also adjusted it

to where the reflection of the sun off the water is not as pinpoint a reflection as

default. Maybe other things, but I'd have to check the settings.

I think the wave pattern is about the same for most water, as most all use the

same water textures. And I don't think add on scenery programs are changing much,

unless they actually change the water textures. The white which is simulating sun

bouncing off the waves is in the texture itself and likely partly effected by the

shader settings. I noticed that the Orbx water seemed to look lighter than the

default FSX water. Which I'm fairly sure they changed the water textures in

FTX Global. And they seemed to bring out a lot of that white chop, even with the

small streams and such. What I did was to darken the water blue a tad, and then

I tweaked the shader settings to make the white chop look less obvious.

I think I also adjusted for a bit less reflectivity from the sun, and I also adjusted it

to where the reflection of the sun off the water is not as pinpoint a reflection as

default. Maybe other things, but I'd have to check the settings.

I spent some time today experimenting with Rex animated wave choices. The choices really do make quite a difference and there is a huge number of choices. So I'll keep experimenting until I find one which looks right.

Archived