lets try a game !

lefu

FLIGHT DIRECTOR

You all may not get this connection, but: Aerostat.

I was an FD on an Aerostat in Yuma after I got out of The Corps.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(I was refering to the 'FD' system on your panel - not a 'traffic cop' on a base).

CB

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Tut, Napa, Tut, I say!

A "traffic cop" I most certainly wasn't! Nights and weekends, which was when I made sure I got scheduled, I was in charge of the Aerostat Site. I flew the balloon, took it up off the tower, recovered it if necessary, managed the crew on duty, the whole nine yards. I was even a pretty decent weather forecaster. This was after I had been the Lead E-Tech on the site. Traffic cop indeed! :sniff:

I knew what you meant, but heck, an FD is an FD :) So there, neener, again!

Ummm...ILS Needles

Is that better? :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Papi? Papi? (Yumama ...)

Edit: (Sorry about that..got carried away-(I am just kidding anyway-nothing personal).

'3 White, you are alright...3 Red and you're dead'

CB

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Papi? Papi?

glideslope

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Magic Carpet

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ali Babba

Operation Magic Carpet...

Well, actually I had the newest ACLS system for the F35 in mind but hey...

TOGA system?

Take Off Go Around...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can I go back?

FLIGHT DIRCETOR

ATC

Herk

Acer Predator AG3620-UR308, 3rd Gen. Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology up to 3.9GHz (8MB Cache), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SC (2GB), 2 TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, 12GB DDR3 SDRAM, Windows 8

I'm confused :confused:

ATC was a response to "flight director"

The first reaction was to say "scope dope", but that was pretty much a nickname for the radar operators at our missile sites back in the last century or "knob dickers" are a couple of the mild ones. :D

Here's a new one

Head Wind......and keep it clean. I spent about 10 minutes ROTF at the first response that came to mind.:o

Herk

Acer Predator AG3620-UR308, 3rd Gen. Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology up to 3.9GHz (8MB Cache), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SC (2GB), 2 TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, 12GB DDR3 SDRAM, Windows 8

Vfr

to that i'd say "tree trimmer."

Herk

Head Wind...

Crosswind component

There, how's that for clean as a doctor's hands after being in a hospital Scrub Room? :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crosswind component

There, how's that for clean as a doctor's hands after being in a hospital Scrub Room? :D

Pat☺

Thanks Pat

That's a good one for "Head Wind" I was thinking "active" or "irons" as in sailing, which wouldn't make sense to most pilots.. :)

As for me, "inactive" as not in being in here and FSing for quite awhile....life seems to demand other priorities at times. Good to see many old timers and am always exciting to see new (to me) simmers as well.

I actually was so rusty that I'd forgotten many of the key commands and some of the basics of flying. I recently flew out to KSLC and we drove up to Jackson, WY, since my youngest son lives out there now. When I came back home I had to get back into the FS and take a VFR flight out of KWYS to see Old Faithful erupt again then fly down along the Tetons to Jackson.

Your story about the scenic drive in Yuma brought back memories of a similar drive overlooking El Paso that I'd visited a few times, while stationed at Fort Bliss in 1967 in the Army, and attending radar maintenance school. There's something about the lights at night in the desert that are mesmerizing. :D

Herk

There's something about the lights at night in the desert that are mesmerizing.

Not to mention romantic as all heck :D

Especially in the heat-shimmer off of any paved area for about 1/2 the night in Yuma. Miserable place, but it has a VERY few redeeming features, once in a great while.

There at Station Legal, atop the one hill worthy of the name in Yuma, someone hauls a couch up there behind the building every few years for the young Romeo's to use. Very nice of them, but readily available as it seems like SOMEone is always leaving stuff like that on the curb in Base Housing when they move out.

Almost forgot: Thermal turbulence.

Not sure it's an official FAA type term, but ya sure get it enough in that place!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thermal turbulence.

Pat☺

Jet Wash

Herk

Archived