Questions about a multi-monitor setup

Hello, All.

I'm looking for some advice on a multi-monitor setup. I'd like to have three monitors linked side-by-side for scenery. I am curious if people can recommend some good affordable monitors that would work well in this configuration, as well as a stand that would hold them. I am also curious if people think the Matrox TripleHead2Go is a worthwhile investment for this purpose.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,

-Noah

http://s6.postimg.org/a9i0d43tt/Capture.jpg

If your video card has three or more outputs you don't need Matrox TripleHead2Go.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3. Graphics 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 .... 4 X DELL 1920 x 1080 res screens. 1 TByte SSD + 2TByte internal SATA drive +8 TByte External Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA) Backups

Hi, using NVIDIA Surround should get you set up. You will find it right in the NVIDIA control center.

As for the screens - I suggest getting three identical ones. Not because Surround requires this, it is actually pretty tolerant when it comes to hardware. But because of color and brightness calibration. Unless you are using a calibration tool like Spyder it will not be so easy to get all three screens showing the same hue, saturation, color temperature and brightness. And even with Spyder it is difficult, because it can't calibrate the three screens individually when Surround is active. I know because I tried. I had a pretty good and expensive Eizo, calibrated with Spyder Elite, and added two Samsungs. Didn't look too good, but was OK-ish. In the end I threw out the Samsungs, used the Eizo for something else and bought three identical and fairly inexpensive Asus screens.

And pay attention to the screens response time or "lag". If you are using TrackIR like I do, a slow response time will lead to smearing and black patches, as the screens just cannot switch from light to dark quickly enough. A lot of high-quality, big-size monitors are just too slow IMO.

I use NVIDIA Surround, and it is very very easy to use. I looked at my 19" monitor and found a reconditioned one on eBay for £34. Bought two of those... free postage and packing, job done! The hardest part was finding the right connectors and adaptors.

- Paul Elliott

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Come and follow my recreation of this historic light here: HERE

Archived