FSX with VR headsets

iainso

Guest Robert455
What sort of system are you using?

It's a pretty powerful system but not the most powerful. Waiting on the next gen Fury X and Pascal series cards to hit.

Asus X99-Deluxe, i7-5930k @ 4.5 GHz, Win 10/64, EVGA GTX 980 SC, Nvidia 358.70

Oculus Runtime 0.8.0, Flight Simulator X-Steam/P3D 2.5

Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs

Guest Robert455
Never liked that distorted views in flight videos, GoPro eyes is not for me.

The video does look distorted when you see the direct captures like this. The DK2 uses very thick and strong lenses to focus properly on a screen so close to your eyes and those lenses distort the images and even separate the colors (chromatic aberration). There are a number of ways to capture the video when flying and the way I did in the video I posted here was to capture before the extra distortion was applied to pre and back correct for what the lenses do but it's still the ultra-wide angle view that gets stretched to fill the field of view.

For us actually wearing the HMDs, we see an undistorted view where the two images become one and what we see is in 3D with real depth and just as if we were in a real cockpit looking down from real altitude. No GoPro eyes at all. And for those with Google Cardboard, you can see more of what it looks like but it won't be corrected for the lens distortions.

Another way to view is on something like a phone or a tablet where the video can be sized such that the centers of the two images are close to the distance between your eyes. If you hold the display close to your eyes the two images will turn into one with depth but blurry. Your right eye will be viewing the right image and left eye views the left as they actually should instead of the crosseye trick where they are swapped. As you move the display away it can come into focus and if you hold the proper way to see the two images you get a central image with depth like we see but again, distorted by the extreme wide angle.

But it just shows a bit of what we see. The best way is to see it all in VR for yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived