Rudder flutter and complete loss of control over plane

Rnglgdj

Well I have rudder flutter on a fs2004 version and some years back it worked fine.   I have a logtech  wing man  joy stick that has worked for a good while but  does not now work on a AcerA515-51-5398.   So I have an old Dell that will run fs 2004 and I connected the same joystick and it runs fine except slow. It does not have any flutter and I am happy. The Acer has W 11 and the Dell has W XP.

I cannot understand what would cause the js to work on one and not the other.  Do any of you guys have some thoughts on this.

I thought the js was going bad and was going to get another js but tried it on the Dell and things were fine  but slow. So now I need some suggestions.

Thanks

Don R

• Like 1

The only things I can think of are USB 3.0 to 2.0 interface for the Ports, or something in W11 is reading/mapping the Joystick differently. If you've got other Peripherals like a Throttle Quadrant or Rudder Pedals they could also be the cause, but hard to say. I have an Issue with my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro; Joystick Properties show the Throttle works through its entire Range, but in Sim the Throttle only goes to 40%. I had to use two of the Joystick buttons for Throttle Increase/Decrease.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Now I don't know if I solved the problem but I deleted the programs in prefetch just by accident and now the joystick seems to work correctly. So I will keep using it and see if I really fixed the problem.

BTW thanks for the reply

Don R

Well I thought I had it fixed but no joy.  The recent flight starts off ok with the rudder in neutral position and then suddenly moves left and throws the plane into a sudden turn.  I correct the rudder with opposite  and away we go back and forth.   So I guess I don't have it corrected.

Don R

• Like 1

And you don't have any other FlightSim peripherals connected to the offending Computer that could cause a conflict with the Joystick in question? Something is causing your Sim to impart Input to the Rudder; a misassigned Axis, conflicting entries with Sensitivities... something. The Wingman works on the Dell (but 'slow'?)  and not at all with the Acer. I don't know what "prefetch" is but since the Rudder issue is still there it's not the fault of that add on. It could also be the twist axis Pot is bad and doesn't present itself on the Dell but does on the Acer.

Just trying to eliminate the Variables short of a 'click to Restore Defaults' or a complete Re-install. Compare the Joystick properties in Sim between the Dell and the Acer, and see if it's the same. Also check the Realism Settings between them regarding P factor, Torque, etc. 

I'm spitballing here throwing things out... 

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

On 4/20/2024 at 7:04 PM, Rnglgdj said:

I notice now when I start the engine the rudder starts moving one side to the other. I was not watching this before.  Sure is baffling!!!!!

This, combined with the jitter in your original post, suggests that you have a dirty or worn USB plug or socket. It could even be a broken solder joint in that port on the Acer. The supposition is lent weight by the fact that the joystick works ok when plugged into a different machine. I guess you've tried different ports on the same machine. If they all gave the same result then it's likely to be the USB plug on end of the joystick's lead. (If one machine has slightly tighter sockets then it wouldn't show the problem).

Either that or a dirty pot but I'd expect that to give the same result on all machines.

VP2's suggestion is good. Have you tried resetting the sensitivities in FS9 or even -- temporarily, so make a backup first -- creating a new cfg file?

I didn't know W11 had a prefetch folder. In any case, it won't affect USB or joysticks. It's only a close-to-hand folder in which Windows can put copies of stuff it expects to need later in a hurry.

D

• Like 1

Well thanks guys for the input.   The prefetch is stored programs the once loaded they go to the prefetch area and does not have to be loaded by the computer again.

I thought that if I had some bad dialogs loaded deleting the already loaded ones would load new ones the were good. I didn't know about the prefetch thing. I have 3 usb on the Acer and I have tried them all. Some times when I use FS it really works well then it quits.   I really just use ga planes because I don't really expect to be flying 737s and up.  Well I just will use the Dell to fly until I can fix the problem but it will be slow.

• Like 1