World mesh

Bwoinbeerr

Like many of us have done, the OP will have to 'assemble' the Mesh from whatever's available from the various Sites. Important to remind that some Mesh won't be compatible with others.

Sorry to put it this way, but it's what we Niners have to contend with in a World of ever shrinking Resources and age of the Software. We can only make do with what's out there.

Grab some Drink and Snacks, make yourself comfortable and start perusing the File Libraries at all of the 'big' FlightSim sites to search out what you're looking for. All of us high time old farts had to do it this way BITD... and so will you. Good Hunting! 🙂

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

6 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Like many of us have done, the OP will have to 'assemble' the Mesh from whatever's available from the various Sites. Important to remind that some Mesh won't be compatible with others.

Sorry to put it this way, but it's what we Niners have to contend with in a World of ever shrinking Resources and age of the Software. We can only make do with what's out there.

Grab some Drink and Snacks, make yourself comfortable and start perusing the File Libraries at all of the 'big' FlightSim sites to search out what you're looking for. All of us high time old farts had to do it this way BITD... and so will you. Good Hunting! 🙂

Haha, thanks, I already feel like an old fart, at 51. Let the hunting begin!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Bwoinbeerr said:

Haha, thanks, I already feel like an old fart, at 51. Let the hunting begin!

Then you know the deal! 🤣

• Haha 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

5 hours ago, Bwoinbeerr said:

I already feel like an old fart, at 51

Young whipper snapper!

image.jpeg.735903f864eac421812222f62de346f5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

8 minutes ago, NMLW said:

Erm, landclass is not mesh!

If I remember rightly, FSX mesh works with FS2004 just fine - I may be wrong but it is certainly worth trying. Here is just one free offering found with a web search:
FreeMeshX Global Terrain Mesh Scenery 2.0 for FSX & P3D (flyawaysimulation.com)

What you will find, though, is that with accurate terrain you will discover the Microsoft put many roads and rivers in the wrong places. They won't change, so things sometimes look a little daft on that front.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

Now I'm confused... could someone please clarify what the differences between 'Mesh' and 'Landclass'? 

Thanks! 🙂

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

From Orbx : 

Terrain Mesh - a grid of elevation data.  (determines topography, hills, valleys, etc..)

Land Class - a grid that determines what class of land should be drawn at each point.  (grass field, farm, sparse trees, dense forest, desert, city, small town,...)

Vector Data - a layer of lines (roads, rivers, power line) laid on top of the mesh, LC, & texture.

Not sure if its called Vector in FS9 or not. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, JSMR said:

From Orbx : 

Terrain Mesh - a grid of elevation data.  (determines topography, hills, valleys, etc..)

Land Class - a grid that determines what class of land should be drawn at each point.  (grass field, farm, sparse trees, dense forest, desert, city, small town,...)

Vector Data - a layer of lines (roads, rivers, power line) laid on top of the mesh, LC, & texture.

Not sure if its called Vector in FS9 or not. 

Nice explanation!

Vectors it is 🙂

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 2:43 PM, johnhinson said:

They won't change, so things sometimes look a little daft on that front.

Lol, I've spent an eternity trying to learn to correct rivers along the side of mountains, railroad tracks across runways, coastlines running out in the water, coastal cities half submerged, a dam in the middle of a field....

which is correct, the river or the buildings

paris01.jpg.cc544daac9b6548c92901aaeac8f4c0f.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jgf said:

Lol, I've spent an eternity trying to learn to correct rivers along the side of mountains, railroad tracks across runways, coastlines running out in the water, coastal cities half submerged, a dam in the middle of a field....

which is correct, the river or the buildings

paris01.jpg.cc544daac9b6548c92901aaeac8f4c0f.jpg

Is this the reason some Payware City Scenery is so Resource intensive? I've always shied away from Payware Scenery because of all the horror stories...

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I doubt if commercial scenery payload is directly connected with this, it is just trying to pack high amounts of detail into a small area. But I must say with modern computers I don't think much in FS2004 bothers it.

The sad thing is that all of the data for roads, rivers and railways is cheaply available from SatNav developers, so they could be easily corrected today but we are playing with twenty year-old software of course. It has been done for FSX, so that they then blend perfectly with accurate mesh, but unfortunately FS2004 roads, rivers etc are generated differently and are not backwardly compatible with those in FSX.

Trying to change the world manually, like ViperPilot2 has is a challenge too large for me! I choose to turn a blind eye to things like that.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!