Logitech Radio Panels

Good morning,

I am totally new to flight simulators; not a pilot nor do I have any flying experience other than as part of a flight crew ~ 2nd Mech, P-3 Orion approx. 50 yrs ago.  Given my age/health, the dream of flying can only be achieved via a desktop at this point.  My eventual goal is to construct a DYI cockpit build, to bring me to the next level of flying.  As such, I plan on buying add-ons, bit-by-bit as I continue toward my goal.  Purchasing basic items to enhance my flying, ie: Logitech Flt. System and Throttle Quadrant, Logitech Rudder Peddles and a Logitech Switch Panel; I am now looking to purchase the Radio Panel which brings me to my question ~ why do YouTube DYI builds show multiple radio panels?  Knowing little at this stage, I'm confused as to how many radios are needed and what protocol is necessary for safe, efficient flight?  At approx. $145 a-pop; what is the purpose of multiple panels, I can't believe it's strictly for redundancy or backup.  Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you ~ Papa-C.

• Founder

Not having seen these Youtube DIY videos myself I cannot say what the builder's goal was. But real aircraft frequently have multiple radios so they were probably just trying to recreate a real aircraft panel. Depending on your simming goals you can probably get away with just one radio panel.

Redundancy, backup, versatility and in some cases a necessity for Navigation. As Nels said, it's all about your Simming goals and objectives.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG