Joystick not working

My very old and very basic joystick (doesn't have a brand name on it and can't remember) has stopped working in that it will bank left and right and pitch down but won't pitch up. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting and calibrating repeatedly but no joy.

I guess it's just old and knackered and needs replacing but thought I'd post here first in case any of you guys know a quick fix to get a joystick working again.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, neilking2706 said:

My very old and very basic joystick (doesn't have a brand name on it and can't remember) has stopped working in that it will bank left and right and pitch down but won't pitch up. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting and calibrating repeatedly but no joy.

I guess it's just old and knackered and needs replacing but thought I'd post here first in case any of you guys know a quick fix to get a joystick working again.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Sounds like it's one of the Potentiometers ("Pots"); it could be burned out or just dirty. If you're so inclined, you could try disassembling the joystick and either cleaning the Pot with Contact Cleaner or WD-40. The other option is to replace the Pot.

OTOH, just replace the joystick with something like a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro... still the best joystick for the price, and has been for Decades!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Be careful using WD-40 on modern pots, its solvent vase can damage the resistance element.

I second the recommendation for the Logitech;  had mine since around '09, still looks and works as new.  A new one is only $35, shipping included.

• Founder

In one of my other hobbies I run into this a lot. Pots get dirty and stop working but can often be restored with the proper contact cleaner.

WD-40 is NOT a contact cleaner. The "WD" stands for "water displacement", which was its original purpose. It does other things as well, but cleaning pots really isn't one of them.

Any old contact cleaner may work. If you want the proper thing specifically for pots DeOxit Fader F5 is a good choice and what I always use.

Replacement is also a good suggestion. I've also had good luck with the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Paid all of $15 for mine (used). Even new I think they are only about $50.