Dune dominating loading screens

I am rather sad that a seriously good flightsimulator uses a game/movie theme for the long load up on startup. It is most likely my age bias that I still hang on to the peculiar notion that flightsim 2020 remains a serious flight simulator and not just a game with some aspects of actual aviation somewhere inside it. At least with Top Gun Maverick it was real planes (mostly). Guess I am just not a Dune fan- oh dear. 

• Like 1

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

37 minutes ago, jrdale210 said:

uses a game/movie theme for the long load up on startup

Lol, I'm reminded of the old Sims 3 game, it had such excruciatingly long loading times that the devs actually built a hidden object game into the loading screens for you to play while waiting (find the mailbox, find the red bird, etc.).

• Founder

If you consider the context, it makes perfect sense.

As they have done ever since MSFS 2020 came out, they are letting you know about their latest update or new addition. Previous to Dune they were promoting the Caribbean upgrade. I suppose if you had no interest in flying in the Caribbean you'd not like that start screen either.

The Dune package is something they are offering for free. Frankly I find it hard to complain about being given additional add-ons for free for something I bought quite a while ago. Rather nice of them to do it actually.

Fair enough Nels--I had better try it out!! 

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

• 1 month later...

I’ve just tried this but as soon as I lift of ( looks just like helicopter controls) I get a message “ out of training area”. I’ve only gone straight up a couple of hundred feet. 

• Founder

I've managed to pass all the training sessions with an "A" grade after a few tries, so it can be done. I ended up making a new joystick config just for Dune, since the controls are similar but not quite like those of a helicopter. Having that set right did help. The training sessions could use a bit more instruction than they actually provide but I did mostly figure it out. Still cannot land correctly repeatedly though.

I think "going straight up a couple of hundred feet" is not what they are looking for...it seems that nap of the earth flying is more the norm here, so what they want is for you to get just off the ground and then moving forward, not up.