FSX Install

I have been using X-Plane 12 but they do not have a good C-130 so I am trying to install my old FSX Deluxe Edition and then reinstall my Captain Sim C-130 pack.

I'm running windows 10 and when I try to install FSX, I get an error code 1607 saying unable to install InstallShield Runtime.  Any suggestions.  I did try to use the compatibility fix but that didn't help. 

Thanks

Sgtoro

Try this: run the Installer as Administrator, and install FSX to "somewhere else" than the default location in C:\Program Files(x86), but install it to for example C:\FSX or to a different drive instead.

If that also fails, try turning UAC off, if you want to you can always turn that back on after the installation.

Jorgen

Generically for all older games in Vista or newer, DO NOT install to any "Program Files" folder, run all exe files as admin, you may have to temporarily disable DEP, you may have to whitelist the exe files in your anti-malware, and make sure your account has full access to all pertinent folders.  All this is due to increasing file security in each new windows version, which is even more strict in the "Program Files" folders;  any software not written with that in mind may have issues with file access.

• 1 month later...

As a frugal Senior I want to do a first install of FSXGold from original disks on my win 10 Asus laptop. Am a learning intermediate MS techwise so like step by step instructions in order they are to be doneto avoid trying to correct registry and error codes etc.  Ive done a summary below of suggestions from responses on this website to try to do that. Please amend/clarify as needed to help all us needing the help. Thank you.

""1. Uninstall both FSX and Acceleration, through uninstall in Control Panel. Reboot. Check everything is gone. N/A as new install??

2. Install the DirectX Redistributables - a free download from Microsoft. Reboot.

“There are also some other essential libraries that you may be missing that have not been mentioned by others...

You can use Programs and Features to check if you have any of the following 'libraries' installed or, if you wish, simply download and install them - the installers will check for any previous install and will replace any missing/invalid/corrupt files or install the complete package as appropriate.

Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable packs - specifically version 2005 and 2008 but I also recommend installing 2010 as well. You can find download links for earlier version HERE

You will need to download the relevant 'bit' version for your OS (i.e. 32 or 64 bit). Click on the required link and a standard download option box will appear - DO NOT run the installer from this but select the Save As option and save the file to temp location. To install, right click on the file and select the Run as Administrator option. Install each package separately, starting with the oldest version, and reboot using the RESTART option between each install. The reboot is essential to allow the windows registry and important system files to be updated.

.NET Framework - specifically versions 3.5 and 4 - download from HERE - download and install using the same procedure for the C++ files.”

3. Run Windows Update, make sure the switch under "Advanced Options" called "Receive updates for other Microsoft products" is turned on. Run the update until there are no more updates to get.

4. Install FSX, remember to change the path it installs to. What you need to do is to install it OUTSIDE the reach of UAC, that means in C:\FSX or something like that, but absolutely not under C:\Program Files (x86) where it wants to install. Then you need to set it to run as Administrator. Turn UAC off also, if you are OK with that.   At the end of the installation, fly around a minute or so in the ultralight, then end the flight. Now reboot.

After installing FSX DeLuxe (the 2 disks), flying around, shutting down and rebooting you need to activate FSX DeLuxe? Then reboot again."

Per bullet point 1: use Windows File Explorer to scan you C drive for the string "FSX", there may be folders there left over. If FSX was installed on a different drive, scan that one also.

Per bullet point 2: install everything you can find for both C++ and .NET Framework, both the x86 and x64 versions.

Per bullet point 3: I think I wrote that one!

Per bullet point 4: Looks like I wrote that one also. The word you highlighted "activate" could also mean registering, you input the code for the 2-DVD set at that point.

New bullet point 5: After the last reboot in bullet point 4, install the third DVD from the FSX Gold set, the Acceleration DVD. Again, at the end of the installation of that, fly around a bit, shut FSX down, reboot, register/activate with the code from the Acceleratio DVD and reboot again.

I hope it is a bit clearer now, if I have messed everything up just ask here again!

Jorgen

Thank you Jorgen. Revised complete version below. Advise if any further clarifications or changes needed, When final anyone can use as guide to first (or re)install.

Could also then post final version as new post if easier for people like me to find and use? ie "How to install FSX Gold on Win 10".  David

"'1. Use Windows File Explorer to scan your C drive for the string "FSX", there may be folders there left over. If FSX was installed on a different drive, scan that one also. Uninstall both FSX and Acceleration, through uninstall in Control Panel. Reboot. Check everything is gone. (N/A if new install.)

2. Install the DirectX Redistributables - a free download from Microsoft. Reboot.

“There are also some other essential libraries that you may be missing that have not been mentioned by others...

You can use Programs and Features to check if you have any of the following 'libraries' installed or, if you wish, simply download and install them - the installers will check for any previous install and will replace any missing/invalid/corrupt files or install the complete package as appropriate.

Visual C++ Runtime Redistributable packs - specifically version 2005 and 2008 but I also recommend installing 2010 as well. You can find download links for earlier version HERE

You will need to download the both the x86 and x64 versions. Click on the required link and a standard download option box will appear - DO NOT run the installer from this but select the Save As option and save the file to temp location. To install, right click on the file and select the Run as Administrator option. Install each package separately, starting with the oldest version, and reboot using the RESTART option between each install. The reboot is essential to allow the windows registry and important system files to be updated.

.NET Framework - specifically versions 3.5 and 4 - download from HERE - download and install using the same procedure for the C++ files.”

3. Run Windows Update, make sure the switch under "Advanced Options" called "Receive updates for other Microsoft products" is turned on. Run the update until there are no more updates to get.

4. Install FSX Deluxe (2 disks)  remember to change the path it installs to. What you need to do is to install it OUTSIDE the reach of UAC, that means in C:\FSX or something like that, but absolutely not under C:\Program Files (x86) where it wants to install. Then you need to set it to run as Administrator. Turn UAC off also, if you are OK with that.   At the end of the installation, fly around a minute or so in the ultralight, then end the flight. Now reboot.

After installing FSX DeLuxe (the 2 disks), flying around, shutting down and rebooting you need to activate FSX DeLuxe! Then reboot again.

5: After the last reboot in bullet point 4, install the third DVD from the FSX Gold set, the Acceleration DVD. Again, at the end of the installation of that, fly around a bit, shut FSX down, reboot, register/activate with the code from the Acceleration DVD and reboot again."''