Remembering my first week with FS9

Richiemon

Hi all. My FS9 finally crashed on my 15 year old laptop. So I'm trying to reload on a new one. But it got me to thinking, I remember the first weekend after I bought FS9, which was in mid-2005. I remember staying up late one night downloading all the available commercial aviation (IFDG, Project OpenSky, etc) then adding payware later (Overland, CLS airbuses, Quality WIngs, etc). With few exceptions (a good A220 and A320/321 NEOs), there isn't a commercial airplane I don;t have on FS9, and all real great quality. Makes me wonder why 3 years in on MSFS 2020, there really aren't a ton of choices for planes. At least not anywhere near what I had in FS9. ANd I just looked at a payware A320 for MSFS 2020. The strobes on the back of the wing....really? How do you make a mistake like that this far into this technology. Anyway, it just makes me realize just how great FS9 is to this day - and why as I sit here I'm reloading it on a new computer vs. purchasing MSFS 2020. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richiemon said:

makes me realize just how great FS9 is to this day

You are 100% right and I completely agree. In my view, taking into acount the complete package, FS2004 is still competitive. Of course, you don't have the photorealistic appearance of MSFS2020, but you can run FS2004 with a lot of eye candy, can fly a lot of airplanes with sufficient system depth, have a lot of very good AI aircrafts filling the skys and all this without having to invest a fortune for a high end computer. On top your energy bill is not that high considering the amount of electrical power such high end hardware is consuming nowadays 😉

Michael

• Like 6

Don't be alarmed by some, if not all of your Payware Tubeliners having glitches when you try to reload them into your new FS9 Install; it's just the nature of 'new' Windows as opposed to XP or W7, even W8. You may have to settle with the Freeware offerings out there, with all their shortcomings.

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

it's just the nature of 'new' Windows as opposed to XP or W7, even W8

But the average modern system can easily run XP or Win7 in a VM with enough resources to make FS2004 happy. 

• Like 2

Some people almost feel pressure they need to move on and when they do, try and convince themselves they are happy.
In just about everything, many people are realising moving forward is not what they really want and they simply don't do it.
I've been this way for several years now and can't express how ridiculously happy I've been!

• Like 3
Mark Daniels

I hear you all.

FS9 is way ahead of its time.

With 200GB of different aircraft and scenery I find pleasure flying every day. The variety and diversity is amazing! And I often still learn something new.

This comes from someone who spent hours in real cockpits.

Long live FS2004!

• Like 2

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

12 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

You may have to settle with the Freeware offerings out there, with all their shortcomings.

That is not completely true. I fly the FS2004 iFly, Overland, LVL-D, PMDG (MD-11), Wilco Embraers and Captain Sim B757 products without any issues on my Win11 system. The only airplane I have issues with is the PMDG B744 (OOM issues) and and the Qualitywings Bae146 (stutters). The rest runs flawlessly.

Michael 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, michaelkalinowsk said:

That is not completely true. I fly the FS2004 iFly, Overland, LVL-D, PMDG (MD-11), Wilco Embraers and Captain Sim B757 products without any issues on my Win11 system. The only airplane I have issues with is the PMDG B744 (OOM issues) and and the Qualitywings Bae146 (stutters). The rest runs flawlessly.

Michael 

Do you have any idea what is the problem with the  Bae 146. Mine installs fine but stutters like crazy, makes it impossible to fly. Such a shame, one of my favorite aircraft. I use HJG, but sadly it's just not the same.

Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

2 hours ago, michaelkalinowsk said:

I have no idea at all, sadly 😔

Hi i did some fooling around this morning and got it working. The Bae that is. Do you have the 757 as well? If you do i could try and explain in detail what i did if you are interested.

Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

2 minutes ago, michaelkalinowsk said:

Of course I am interested. I have the QualitySim 757 as well but to be honest, I fly the CaptainSim 757 more often. But that should not play a role here. Thank you for your kind offer.

Michael 

Is it ok if i message you. I'm in the PST time zone.

11 hours ago, michaelkalinowsk said:

Michael 

As I said above, 'some'. YMMV.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Interestingly enough, I was able to just reload FS9 on my existing 15 year old system. Only thing I'm missing is Active Camera, which makes me sad. But I use specific panel that allows me to sit anywhere in the cabin. It's just that the location has to be pre-set. But other than that, all is good. I was prepared to go out and purchase another i7 PC but with Windows 8, which is challenging to find. I wasn;t sure FS9 would work on Windows 10, or 11. Sounds like it does!!! Long live FS9!!!

• Like 1

Hi Richiemon,

Got no issues with W10. But bit concerned though, because my next PC will probably be W12 and hopefully it will run FS9 OK?

And! Long live FS9 also!!!

• Like 1

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

9 hours ago, aerofoto said:

Thank you, we got it sorted out. Smoooth.

I think the FS2004 Random Shot Thread  actually represents and reveals how good FS9 still really is... 
Allways worth a short visit... if you're interested in FS2004...

also all of you who still fly the best Sim of all times, are warmly welcomed to share your own images in this Thread! 
I still wonder what you guys are doing in your sims... so let us know by sharing your shots! 

I personally love it and will continue to fly my most loved and best Sim of all times... because for me it is as good as FSX or P3D... if not better
(ok, yes, you can't beat P3D in its Graphics and Shadows and all this stuff but yah..  if you check my pics in the Random Shot Thread, they still look pleasing enough... so no reason to move on for me!).

• Like 1