Trackir user needs advice please

I have recently changed my HOTAS from Cougar to Saitek X45.( the former seems to have died).

Set up has been fine in Windows XP.

However, when mapping buttons I cannot get the mapping to work on the two keyboard buttons which are used by the Trackir. In my case F9 and F12.

I had the same problem initially when setting up the Cougar, but I managed to get them working. But it was so long ago I can’t remember what I had to do to achieve that.,!

The Trackir uses two keyboard buttons , one for centring , and one for toggling static / movement view.

When I map these to my X45 they do not activate the Trackir,

the keyboard buttons , however, still do work.

All other buttons in the sim can be mapped to the X45.

ANY Trackir user able to assist please?

It's been a long time since I messed with that part of it, but I think I use FSUIPC to properly map the buttons.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

1 hour ago, lnuss said:

It's been a long time since I messed with that part of it, but I think I use FSUIPC to properly map the buttons.

Do you mean just the Trackir buttons?

The other buttons map very well within the sim controls, but it’s just the two buttons that are being used for “pause” and “centre” in Trackir.

I know that somehow it can be done cos I had the same issue with the Cougar.

6 hours ago, Cas141 said:

However, when mapping buttons I cannot get the mapping to work on the two keyboard buttons which are used by the Trackir. In my case F9 and F12.

IMO you're trying to stick to the F9 and F12 keystrokes, and you want your joystick to emulate F9 and F12.

That's not the way to go.

ScreenShot_20240204213348.thumb.jpg.166e3f10f8625414b63dc8f4fb3970a9.jpg

Choose the action in the green drop-down menu, then click the button in the red area. It'll prompt for a keystroke or joystick button.

Press the joystick button of your choice and you're done.

As you see in the blue area, there's no need to stick to F9 and F12.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

12 hours ago, f16jockey_2 said:

IMO you're trying to stick to the F9 and F12 keystrokes, and you want your joystick to emulate F9 and F12.

That's not the way to go.

ScreenShot_20240204213348.thumb.jpg.166e3f10f8625414b63dc8f4fb3970a9.jpg

Choose the action in the green drop-down menu, then click the button in the red area. It'll prompt for a keystroke or joystick button.

Press the joystick button of your choice and you're done.

As you see in the blue area, there's no need to stick to F9 and F12.

Wim

Thanks for your reply Wim.

However, first I’m on Trackir 4 software, not 5 as in your answer. 
It worked before, in a similar way to how you describe, except the. “Other way round”,

ie in the  sim I choose the action, e g centre, and then I am invited to press the button or joystick button for that action. ( I pressed the joystick button)

It appears to accept ( as it does for all other sim actions, e.g. ATC window), but when the joystick button is pressed with the sim running there is no action.

I have tried changing the f9 and f12 , I haven’t stuck to them, but the result is the same with other buttons used as hotkeys in the Trackir profile 

So, to sum up, it seems Trackir 5 lets you map within Trackir 5, whereas using trackir4  software lets you select your hotkeys and then using those to map within the sim.Doing it the latter way it seems  they do not “take”:

So the question is, will my not new Trackir unit work with Trackir 5 software, in windows XP?.

And there is still the niggle that it did work with the Cougar, 

Wim, clearly you know your Trackir stuff.  Do you have any other suggestions on this,please

Any experts on Trackir 4 software?😀

34 minutes ago, Cas141 said:

So the question is, will my not new Trackir unit work with Trackir 5 software, in windows XP?

I have no idea. In this thread NaturalPoint states older cameras work with TrackIR 5.

No mention of Win XP though. The only way would be to try.

40 minutes ago, Cas141 said:

Do you have any other suggestions on this

Probably needless to say F9 and F12 should be freed from any FSX assignment.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

8 hours ago, f16jockey_2 said:

Probably needless to say F9 and F12 should be freed from any FSX assignment.

Wim

Yes, agreed. I will double check, nut I think that is already the case.

when any key is selected to be used for any FSX function,then if it is already in use then you are told and asked if you wish to change it.

so, when told it is available then that indicates it isn’t already being used in FSX.

i have also found out that the centre and pause functions can be allocated buttons in Trackir 4 in similar way that you show in Trackir 5.

its a bit Grrrr 😀

Cracked it!!! I’ve managed to get it working.

What I have done is this. 
The keys I used for pause and centre, in my case f9 and f12, I removed from the FSX controls.
Then I went into the Trackir Profiles and edit the Hotkeys.
On the “change” button for Pause I press it and then click the button on my joystick .
Same for the Change button for centre, ie, another joystick button.
That’s it.
Those buttons on the joystick now activate the Trackir functions.

Unlike the other buttons on my joystick, these buttons have nothing to do with FSX,!