The 2024 Australian Air Rally - The FBO

TomPenDragon

The Daily Update

(Cue “She Sells Sanctuary”)

EP: “Hello and welcome to a very special Daily Update for the 21st of February. I’m Elias Pacheco for Radio Chachapoya…”

CU: “And I’m Claus Ullrich for Piper’s Performance Planes…”

Both: “And the 1976 Australian Air Race is over!”

GAAGLB221.thumb.jpg.09867c282ea6532081fc139e38e63f21.jpg

CU: “The top two steps of the podium have been resolved for a couple of days already, with Melo965 in sole possession of first place, and ViperPilot2 and Bossspecops sharing second.”

EP: “JSMR, who had been in Renmark long enough to get a job, get a house, get married, start a family, and run for mayor – and as of the last poll was 16 points up on his opponent – has left all of that in pursuit of the perfect CV. He started with a +7 and a Centurion. He took a minute off of that to Naracoorte, and had the bit between his teeth. A -3 to Warrnambool, and another -3 to Moorabbin, and he was there.

“Just before heading out on this Oz odyssey, I talked with Tom PenDragon regarding the timing system. He said that one of the hardest parts of flying a plan-versus-actual race was the temptation to overcompensate or chase a timing – he likened it to pilot-induced oscillation when learning instrument approaches. JSMR may have encountered something similar. Having flown faster than plan during the previous three legs in order to get a 0 CV, he continued to do so, scoring a -2 to Mangalore. He corrected a little on the next couple of legs, scoring a -1 into Tocumwal and also into Narrandera. At this point, he had a -4 CV.

“So, JSMR slowed down. His next run, to Parkes, was a +1. He scored a +2 into Bathurst, leaving him with a -1 CV and one more leg to fly. His run to Bankstown: Another +2. He may have overshot perfect, but no matter – his final +1 CV was good enough for the Bronze.”

CU: “defaid, then drops to fourth, ScottishMike to fifth, and the PhrogPhlyers round out the field in sixth. The final result of the 1976 Australian Air Race is: Melo in first, VP2 and the Bosss in second, JSMR in third, defaid fourth, Mike fifth, and Dirk sixth.

“We have big news from the Bosss as well. He has decided to circumnavigate – not Australia, the world. Just as we did with Eli’s Saratoga, Bossspecops is having extra fuel tankage installed in his Sealand to be able to cross the longest open stretch of the Pacific. He dropped his Short’s – sorry, that didn’t come out right – he delivered his aircraft to a seaplane shop on the water in Sydney. Not one to let grass grow under his feet – or in his case, I guess it’s barnacles grow on his hull – he rented a Grumman Goose to run the Eastern Route in, and has made the untimed run to Coff’s Harbour.”

EP: “And ScottishMike and Suzanne had a blast in their Aerostar. They made the run to Ballina and then the short hop to Coolangatta. When you see him, ask him about his Piper Cub hat – no, not the one on his head; the Cubby that landed on the roof of his Aerostar.

“And with this, we shall bring this edition of the Daily Update to a close with a hearty congratulations to all of the finishers of the 1976 Australian Air Race, especially those who are on the podium. There is plenty more racing to come before midnight on the 29th of February, and two more races, the Eastern and the Combined, to be decided.”

CU: “I’m Claus Ullrich for Piper’s Performance Planes…”

EP: “And I’m Elias Pacheco for Radio Chachapoya, signing off. Have a great flying day, everybody.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TomPenDragon said:

The Daily Update

(Cue “She Sells Sanctuary”)

EP: “Hello and welcome to a very special Daily Update for the 21st of February. I’m Elias Pacheco for Radio Chachapoya…”

CU: “And I’m Claus Ullrich for Piper’s Performance Planes…”

Both: “And the 1976 Australian Air Race is over!”

GAAGLB221.thumb.jpg.09867c282ea6532081fc139e38e63f21.jpg

EP: “JSMR, who had been in Renmark long enough to get a job, get a house, get married, start a family, and run for mayor 🤣 and as of the last poll was 16 points up on his opponent – has left all of that in pursuit of the perfect CV. He started with a +7 and a Centurion. He took a minute off of that to Naracoorte, and had the bit between his teeth. A -3 to Warrnambool, and another -3 to Moorabbin, and he was there.

“Just before heading out on this Oz odyssey, I talked with Tom PenDragon regarding the timing system. He said that one of the hardest parts of flying a plan-versus-actual race was the temptation to overcompensate or chase a timing – he likened it to pilot-induced oscillation when learning instrument approaches. JSMR may have encountered something similar. Having flown faster than plan during the previous three legs in order to get a 0 CV, he continued to do so, scoring a -2 to Mangalore. He corrected a little on the next couple of legs, scoring a -1 into Tocumwal and also into Narrandera. At this point, he had a -4 CV.

“So, JSMR slowed down. His next run, to Parkes, was a +1. He scored a +2 into Bathurst, leaving him with a -1 CV and one more leg to fly. His run to Bankstown: Another +2. He may have overshot perfect, but no matter – his final +1 CV was good enough for the Bronze.” 🤗

CThe final result of the 1976 Australian Air Race is: Melo in first, VP2 and the Bosss in second, JSMR in third, defaid fourth, Mike fifth, and Dirk sixth.

“And with this, we shall bring this edition of the Daily Update to a close with a hearty congratulations to all of the finishers of the 1976 Australian Air Race, especially those who are on the podium. There is plenty more racing to come before midnight on the 29th of February, and two more races, the Eastern and the Combined, to be decided.”

CU: “I’m Claus Ullrich for Piper’s Performance Planes…”

EP: “And I’m Elias Pacheco for Radio Chachapoya, signing off. Have a great flying day, everybody.”

Great job mate!!  Quite the job to do all of that. 

I still have some leg pics to show. Only fair I do that. 

• Like 1

I have this problem.

image.thumb.jpeg.ff47d7612d2d47ffc73230c375ab2b63.jpeg

An aircraft, bought for a rally I couldn't do, and now it's costing me money. So I ring my agent in Australia, Clem Clackett (what the Americans call a good 'ole boy) and ask him to put the aircraft up for sale. He tells me he's just moved from...

image.thumb.jpeg.bf6d25f43508964b44adc7937a62b047.jpeg

to...

image.thumb.jpeg.f1d57a75c8d7ca504fb80ef50ea862c6.jpeg

and, despite being incredibly busy with the move, he'll add the aircraft to the Clackett Air Sales site.

Several days later, he tells me he has a mature couple interested in the aircraft and he's arranged a test flight that afternoon. He's had the Cessna washed and polished so she looks her best.

image.thumb.jpeg.cb5d24b9276ab13c5bc7c437382d3e1a.jpeg

The couple turn up.

image.jpeg.f9f64abae52b4e7a8116ec397c5c8aac.jpeg

With him on board, they take it for a flight West of Perth,

image.thumb.jpeg.c689c0c225391b9c6941ae7e4bd50866.jpeg

and, after getting used to the controls they put the aircraft through its paces...

image.thumb.jpeg.c1caeb2df7be92943b8c6f7fcc1c4f9d.jpeg

some short take-offs and landings...

image.thumb.jpeg.017d64e1741ebf472420c4e717394536.jpeg

they taxi back to the hangar and park the aircraft.

image.thumb.jpeg.0a5af56dc77b1e613abea99856125d71.jpeg

Now dealing with agents has always been a problem, as seen here in George Sheridan Knowles picture of two guys from Redcoat negotiating with an agent of a leasing company.

image.thumb.jpeg.032f581eed6019a06c481516a142c2ff.jpeg

Although, I have never, yet, set fire to an agreement, I have torn up two or three in my time.

Eventually, a deal is done. I get back the purchase price plus a little extra,

image.jpeg.00238230213c4ac5d4b83552c835e0a5.jpeg

the agent, Clem Clackett, gets his fee,

image.jpeg.9c7e2b3c8258feddda3c853ff95d99ae.jpeg

and the couple get a really nice aeroplane.

image.jpeg.9aa69776c3eaf7d2341cc1451b3f524d.jpeg

Don't you love a happy ending!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

JSMR, I don't remember having any problems installing. I know you have purchased it so PM me and I may be able to help.

ScottishMike

Ah just got it. THe dummy folder didnt have the correct module or some other folder in it. 
If you know how to operate the autopilot I'd love some help...it doesnt seem to want to work at all. Looks good though. 

On 2/20/2024 at 9:13 AM, TomPenDragon said:

the Spirit of the Race award.  .  .  .  The nominations are now open.

Hello everyone,

I made a private Nomination to Tom, and he asked me to post it publicly so here it is.  Starting the ball rolling.

I nominate Kit.

His write ups have great screenshots and are very informative.  And his flights are all well executed.  The Amphibian theme up the east coast will be fun to watch too.

Best regards,

Melo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rupert said:

I sure hope we'rE talking about NON-SMOKING PILOTS!

Sorta makes for a bad day.

image.jpeg.eda4edcd538dc50fa54de91b82529f9f.jpeg

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

4 hours ago, TomPenDragon said:

“And the 1976 Australian Air Race is over!”

Wow, what an endurance adventure.

The level of commitment, aviating, navigating, weather guessing, food tasting, beer drinking, story telling, picture taking, and just good old FUN is beyond words.

Time for a bit of a rest and catch up on real life (darn it).

And a hearty hear hear to TomPenDragon for keeping us all relatively in line.

Well done, Good show, Bravo Zulu.

Oh wait... The eastern route isn't finished as of yet.

Ignore everything above.

image.gif.c676c7263d1ee42292be9a2a7bb0628c.gif

• Like 4

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Departing Coff's Harbor. At it again...

Three legs completed.

Post info tomorrow.

1.thumb.jpg.c37926008d35a526dbc5419e72382cc1.jpg

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

On 2/20/2024 at 12:13 PM, TomPenDragon said:

then doubling back to pick up their helicopter from YSBK and setting a Combined time – hint, hint,

The Australian Army never backs down from a challenge!

So after much yelling and confusion, the Bell is reloaded onto a cargo jet and whisked away to the eastern shore.

YCFS (YSCH) - Coff's Harbor

Hurried preparations and into the air again, hell bent on carving a few more minutes from the combined V. Didn't even have time to remove the B&H race stickers.

image.thumb.jpeg.6f5340af0351e1a8e71eb7f92768c015.jpeg

Staying low and fast along the coast, 1200' and 140kt.

image.thumb.jpeg.7dd4ce5df4544a588bd9be053c512e0c.jpeg

YBNA - Ballina

First stop in sight. Feeling good on this run

image.thumb.jpeg.73dda5313eff2202c4ec0c22817671f2.jpeg

On the deck at Ballina, V -2.

image.thumb.jpeg.df64e0e93c7e73ea6cf5f6d9c78a22c6.jpeg

YBCG - Coolangatta

A quick pop further down the coast and here already.

After landing, V 0.

image.thumb.jpeg.423be194229c0e0429394cb5232f9e5a.jpeg

One more leg for today. I'll be staying low, seems to be working well for me, and really enjoying the beachline. Even if it is oriented 180 deg out from WA's correct alignment.

image.thumb.jpeg.2fc0072dd3e2a5ee7fee0e4cb0838c2a.jpeg

YBBN - Brisbane

There it is, Brisbane. Couple large terminal areas, wonder where they'll park me.
image.thumb.jpeg.6559daf318287794ea005c6842c8ef96.jpeg

Landed, safe, parked for the night. V -2.

No fancy terminal for me. A small FBO as far from the civilized world as one can get.

Oh well, a short walk to the beach to relax and recharge.

There has to be a small beach pub for some local fare and beer, right?

image.thumb.jpeg.f79d1f2634a86ccd9b5f67cd6624f9d7.jpeg

Today's stats:

image.jpeg.57be79fcf78c12757b37b0106df1136b.jpeg

• Like 2

phrog x 2.jpg

Looks like I forgot to post the first leg, I'll correct that with todays run. Of course it's NOT age related.

phrog x 2.jpg

Heading north on the second leg of the Eastern Rally, I selected a 1920-30s Sikorsky S-38 amphibian, and particularly NC-6V 'Carnuba', which was the aircraft Herbert Johnson used to find the carnuba wax that started off his Johnson's Wax company. I've been on board the replica of NC-6V at Oshkosh and was VERY impressed, it's a wonderful aircraft, and the FS model is JUST like it too. Not exactly the prettiest aeroplane in the sky, but very practical for its purpose.

East02-a.jpg.14efe6bd966c0edf04caddae15a161b5.jpg

The interior of the FS model is just as good as the outside, this view from the cabin looking forward.

East02-b.jpg.094899fc7f1cdf13a23b258e43491c9f.jpg

And if you swivel around you see these incredible wicker-work seats! The ones in the Oshkosh replica are just like them too!

East02-c.jpg.3c4c04714e0402c686d30607ecfc6942.jpg

Being an amphibian I could taxi down the slope and cross the beach and plop straight into the water, so I did. 🙂

East02-d.jpg.37f1e8342b1e5bdf1ad5557a0901b6d6.jpg

With quite a light wing loading the S-38 is pretty spritely in getting airborne and soon I was turning to port and heading north again.

East02-e.jpg.6d19e1127f836b20c77935f351965d47.jpg

So that's goodbye to Coff's Harbour, and on to the next river-mouth port, and there's many of them along this coastline. 

East02-f.jpg.b6c7c012f1308ac1a49cb983cedc11a5.jpg

That's Red Rock down below, and yet some more oxbow lake prone rivers. It must be an Oz thing as I've not seen so many else where in the world.

East02-g.jpg.cfb7da428caf23801b1c48d1c308b7b0.jpg

A little further on and I espied a LARGE lake ahead of me, and without any time constraints for this part of the Rally it looked a perfect place for a 'splash and go'. 🙂 A quick gleg at Google Earth showed it to be Woolweyha Lagoon nr Yamba, which was just to the north. So I started a descent intending to turn along the lake for the splash as I got nearer.

East02-h.jpg.a28a88b9bff219b61ca39e1159155bd0.jpg

And here's the 'splash and go' in series, LOTS of fun in a seaplane. 🙂 You'll note it was raining yet AGAIN, and it seems wer'e still suffering from the remnants of the two storms that went through here a while ago. 

East02-i.jpg.ee97a85a753f3dd25a64623d9d797989.jpg

Climbing out over Yumba it was notable that I'd only reach around 2500 ft before it was time for the descent into Ballina.

East02-l.jpg.4ff9c5b34a2587f145b245717486d853.jpg

The Ballina promontory soon loomed up over the the horizon and I had to be careful to land in the correct portion of the harbour rather than in the open sea, as it's apparently prone to some HEFTY waves around here. Accordingly I aimed just to the west of the headland and for the inland lake that formed the harbour area.

East02-m.jpg.7849c151da42037753d3e8f16587880c.jpg

Touchdown went nicely and there was lots of room to slow down and turn west to the little inlet I'd selected to change aircraft for the next leg.

East02-n.jpg.17f2c68df535cec75009f0231a4c2082.jpg

Once again I put the wheels down and taxied up onto the bank, dead handy these amphibians, eh?

East02-o.jpg.b67c3bf6ae7889793b7e973e513a379b.jpg

I had a look at Google Earth again for this area and I wouldn't say the FS scenery is in ANY way accurate as this 'inlet' turns out to be a small marina and the 'houses' in FS are large industrial buildings!

But then I'm flying an S-38 that hasn't actually existed for many years, so what? 😉

• Like 2

Regards

Kit

44 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

East02-a.jpg.14efe6bd966c0edf04caddae15a161b5.jpg

East02-b.jpg.094899fc7f1cdf13a23b258e43491c9f.jpg

East02-c.jpg.3c4c04714e0402c686d30607ecfc6942.jpg

WOW would be a great understatement!

This is a fantastic model.

• Like 1

phrog x 2.jpg

19 minutes ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

WOW would be a great understatement!

This is a fantastic model.

Okay Kit, fess up... Where'd 'ya get it? Is it just the Repaint, or the Complete Model?

Been looking for "Caranuba" a long time. George's S-38's & S-39's differ just enough to where swapping Textures between them don't work well.

PP Very nice Segments you've flown! Since us Rotorheads need to stick together, I'll be following you in 'The Lady' shortly.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

21 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Sort of like the "Royal Flush" did in Ep. 5 of Masters Of The Air!

We have not watched it yet, but it is definitely on my list.  Waiting till all 9 episodes are available, then signing up to watch them all at once.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Okay Kit, fess up... Where'd 'ya get it? Is it just the Repaint, or the Complete Model?

Been looking for "Caranuba" a long time. George's S-38's & S-39's differ just enough to where swapping Textures between them don't work well.

PP Very nice Segments you've flown! Since us Rotorheads need to stick together, I'll be following you in 'The Lady' shortly.

Good question, and I'm not sure where it came from but there's five schemes in the same package, 'Carnuba', a Pan Am one, a Northwest one, an Inter Island one and a USAAC C-6A. Some have different panels too, so it's pretty well founded, apart from the fact that it steers like a PIG on the water! I've tried adding a water rudder, and failed miserably.

I've had it for ages, but I'll have a look around and see if I can find the package. 

Regards

Kit

29 minutes ago, Melo965 said:

We have not watched it yet, but it is definitely on my list.  Waiting till all 9 episodes are available, then signing up to watch them all at once.

Awesome plan!

I first read about the 100th BG back in grade school when I got my copy of Flying Fortress, the seminal work by Edward Jablonski. Whenever I hear or see anything Fortress related, the first thoughts are of the "Bloody Hundredth", and of "Alexander, The Swoose (It Flys)"... the only surviving 'shark fin' B-17 left in existence.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2 minutes ago, Bossspecops said:

It didn't take long, it's here on FS.com.

But it's an FSX update on George's S-38 apparently, so I'm not sure how it would work in FS9, but the 'Carnuba' texture set surely would. 

It's been my experience recently that these Nine/X 'port overs' don't seem to function too well in my Sim; even the Texture sets seem to lock up the Sim and I have to reboot. In the past, I've also tried to convert X Textures to Nine, but that made things even worse.

Appreciate your efforts, Kit... 🙂

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG