FSX crash at startup

I ran into a problem a few weeks ago with FSX. FSX was crashing on startup occasionally? I took me a while to figure out, but it seems anytime I load a new scenery, aircraft, or update FSX crashes the first time I start it. Sometimes it crashes twice? once I restart it's usually okay. Anyone else ever run into this? Is it a known problem and is there a fix?

Thanks

Snoopy59

Try installing the AppCrashView app.  After the crash open it and see what it indicates.  Could just be the API.DLL crash that seems to plague some of us.

Ernest Pergrem

System: i7-13700K, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Gaming, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit, MSFS 2020, FSX, Thrustmaster T.16000M Joystick, Cessna Pedals, Saitek Trim Wheel, Switch Panel, and Multi Panel

The best indicator for what os going on here is actually found in the Windows Event Viewer.

What you do is first of all note down the (approximate) time of a crash. If you don't remember one, provoke a new crash and note the time. Then right-click on your Windows Start button and select Event Viewer, third item in the menu from the top. Click on the little arrow next to "Windows Logs", then click on "Application".

Now, in the top center pane you'll see a lot of events with time stamps. Scroll down to the time of your crash, and then there should be one or two with the title "Error" on the left. Click on them, and the error information we need will then be in the bottom center pane. Copy and paste that information into a post here. If you cannot do that, then find the "Exception code" in the error information and post that here.

Our resident U.S. Cavalryman (aka Mr. Zippy) has a nice graph that show how to get there, if he can post that here.

Jorgen

Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer, select Custom Views-> Administrative Events.
One of the listed events will be for your CTD. The "Faulting Module" should point to the problem area.

Tell us what the Faulting Module is! That will point us in the direction of the proper error, aiding in troubleshooting.
It should look something like this!

'll show you an example of the error details :

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Faulting module name:(This is what is needed!: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x04f40000

Faulting process id: 0xb84

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce5e7b4fec05cd

Faulting application path: E:\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 85f639de-ca93-11e2-afac-00e04c054dc3

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Here's the error message:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: API.DLL, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb58
Fault offset: 0x0003afa2
Faulting process id: 0x1008
Faulting application start time: 0x01da42568eede8ac
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\API.DLL
Report Id: c1762814-67f0-43c7-b2cf-7064930dc9aa
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

The exception code here:

says that "something" attempted to write to an area of RAM where it had no access rights. There is nothing to say what this "something" is, but in all the cases I have seen, it has proven to be a badly programmed or incompatible add-on.

Jorgen

Jorgen, that makes perfect sense. The CTDs happen after I load a new addon whether it's scenery, aircraft etc. The CTDs are annoying, but after a couple of restarts FSX seems to work fine until I load a new addon or modification. Thanks again for the insight and response.

Snoopy59