AW-609 Leonardo

9 hours ago, Sirrus said:

I want Boeing to be successful, I do not want Airbus to be my only option in airliners, so they have to clean up their mistakes (of which V-22 may be one) and get back to making great aeroplanes again.

+1

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

This is certainly an interesting topic!  As an old pilot reading the continuous accident reports my thoughts of flying commercial have changed hugely in the last several months.  After all the recent news coverage of mistake after mistake, I'm not sure I'd be real comfortable in the back of any commercial aircraft today. 

And just when I think it can't get any worse, I just read an article in FLYING magazine bragging on how wonderful the Joby Aviation prototype eVTOL aircraft is.  If you thought the Osprey was complicated you ain't seen nothing yet!  "Six rotors driven by 12 motors direct both vertical and forward thrust, as well as the means of flight control."  "The aircraft also uses ailerons and ruddervators (Akin to the Vision Jet.)"  "But those are sectioned, with two sets of aileron-style controls on the wings and three sections of ruddervators on the V-shaped tail."  

And yes, this entire device is also battery powered with electric motors of a home fashioned design which apparently no one else has used before!!

Check out FLYING issue 946.  The cover picture by itself scares me!  I've enjoyed living almost directly under a huge designated aircraft practice area for years.  But I don't even want that thing flying anywhere near where I live!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...