The 2024 Australia Rally...

ViperPilot2

While I'm waiting, my upload was made for this default & VOZ scenery. Anyone uses AB1's photoscenery, there'll be a new version of the airfield here later to match that.

The original was made to fit this scenery. Note my crew is already there thanks to HTAI...

td.thumb.jpg.91801067fdfd54719a1a57919f1c9d87.jpg

sc.thumb.jpg.71b5b17c017b1ee004ae54ac8216f4e3.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MAD1 said:

Tnx PhrogPhlyer, yep, am understanding, still a bit confusing, but I get the physics. Will investigate further. On takeoff/landing, do I then push the throttle lever all the way in, full throttle but leave the Prop lever all the way out, min pitch? (Thanks for leaving out MP for now, that'd be too much for my brain to handle just now!)

This may help

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/aircraft-systems/how-a-constant-speed-prop-works/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jgf said:

There's a sextant gauge for FS2004.

Wow! I wish that had continued into FSX.

You've now got me dusting off my old Plath.

Waiting for a clear night (although I did do sun shots in the day).

image.jpeg

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

I'm currently crossing Saudi-Arabia aboard G-AUST and according to Active Sky I'm in the middle of a thunderstorm......

Really?

I don't believe a word of it, I think they're looking at UK weather! 

• Like 1

Regards

Kit

Third leg, departing KPOY

kpoy_depart.jpg.b616e9f4d4f9ca899f33122e66233141.jpg

Heading into the mountains, tried to maintain around 10k ft so snaked my way through them rather than go to 12k+ ft

morning.jpg.cb1c22d93b4a0858c19436a188fadbd5.jpg

835 miles and 4hr 14 min later I'm at CYAZ;  2255 miles and counting

cyaz.jpg.28ea672a07f8dcda803d074d97a8a338.jpg

Next stop CYZW, 708mi to gravel runways

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Airbasil_1 said:

hopefully the chimneys get some smoke there to give it a bit of life... 
and eventually a forklift infront of one of the buildings and some 20 ton or 40 ton trucks behind, would be nice as well 😄

No forklifts or big trucks. In the RW there is nothing at all at the strip. The nearest buildings are actually 800 m away north east at the roadhouse and petrol station.

The attached zip has versions for VOZ and for the photoscenery. The VOZ versions are updates, ironing out some trivial omissions. I did also do a gravel version but it's a pale grey and made me think of the Readymix geo-graffiti so it's not here.

If you already have the old VOZ version, I recommend removing it, downloading AB1's photoscenery and using the FSET versions instead.

D

fsetgrass.thumb.jpg.e247e839c0596413b262a1bca57c1c61.jpg

Sorry about the green streak -- my dirt runway appears to become grass in some seasons.

some updated ycags.zip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bossspecops said:

I'm currently crossing Saudi-Arabia aboard G-AUST and according to Active Sky I'm in the middle of a thunderstorm......

Really?

I don't believe a word of it, I think they're looking at UK weather! 

Oh yeah... the "Euro" Model. Sure seen a lot of Weather Readers using that Model to forecast our Wx here in the States because it looks more doomful than the "GFS" Model usually is. The Euro is wrong about 60% of the time, at least for us in CO.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

2 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Wow! I wish that had continued into FSX.

You've now got me dusting off my old Plath.

Waiting for a clear night (although I did do sun shots in the day).

Gauge name is NH-DCA-BB_Sextant.cab, marked FS2002/2004;  I got it in Amelia Earhart's L10E Electra by Charles Wood but think it was initially part of a set of period gauges.

sextant.jpg.3bc477d9b0e02a3c2c0cbbe2012b1d15.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jgf said:

Gauge name is NH-DCA-BB_Sextant.cab, marked FS2002/2004;  I got it in Amelia Earhart's L10E Electra by Charles Wood but think it was initially part of a set of period gauges.

sextant.jpg.3bc477d9b0e02a3c2c0cbbe2012b1d15.jpg

Available here in the Library. Make sure to get both Downloads so you'll have everything you need.

They're essential Equipment for any Vintage airplane that has an Astraldome and for any Simmer who likes to recreate Vintage and Historical type Flights and Adventures. It's worth learning the Procedure if for nothing more than to add Realism to your Sim experience.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

IIRC that sextant came with the monster Aerosoft B314 Clipper for FS9 too, complete with a comprehensive manual as well. I must have it on my archive drive somewhere, and it'd be interesting to see if it works in FSX.

Regards

Kit

The Daily Update

(cue The Cult’s, “She Sells Sanctuary…)

Elias Pacheco: “Hello and welcome to our Daily Update for the 6th of January, 2024. A very happy Holy Kings’ Day for those who celebrate. Here is our Spotters’ Guide as it stands so far:

GAAGSG.thumb.jpg.7c952f55fecf76f42661da34de2bfb30.jpg

A thanks to all who updated their data between yesterday and today. A reminder to teams: You now have four days left to get your entry in the Spotters’ Guide looking the way you want.

As of this update, the following non-Australian teams have arrived in Perth: ViperPilot2’s Team Chachapoya, Melo965, defaid, and AirBasil_1’s Jet Belgium support aircraft. If any other racers are already in Perth, please let us know. As for those who are traversing the globe toward the Gaggle’s starting point:

• jgf flew his Staggerwing nearly 900 miles to Powell, Wyoming, and then through the mountains, at dawn, in clouds, to Tofino, west of Vancouver, on the coast. Gutsy run, mate!

• Bossspecops, after overflying his childhood home in Heliopolis, landed in Berenice, which he describes as not being bere nice at all. Austral Rose is now crossing Saudi Arabia in some rather curious weather.

• Your humble correspondent made it to the capital of Thailand yesterday evening. After a Friday night in Bangkok, I may take a layover day today.

The Australians and the others who have already arrived are not enjoying the sights of Perth – they are hard at work conditioning the more sparse airfields for the race and tutoring those who are moving up a category of aircraft for the event. Great work, gentlemen! In the truest spirit of our Club and the finest traditions of aviation!!  My hat’s off to you.

And this concludes our Daily Update. See you tomorrow...”

• Like 2

You cross paths with that "Radio Chachapoya" bloke, buy 'im a Pint and a Sammie. He's bustin' his bum followin' us all over. Give 'im a minute or two of your Time should he ask youse for an Interview! 😁

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, ScottishMike.  The only thing I'm missing from you is an updated picture of your ride, once you get the paint done.  Do you have a template for the interior?  If not, and you want to switch out the blue for something that goes better with the outside, let me know what paint program you use and I'll ship you one.  Going to miss Spanner Eyes and El Güero.  You most certainly can switch out passengers - I could imagine how dull 3,500 miles listening to two academics can be.

ViperPilot2, thanks!  Although I think I'll just spend the day in bed, if everyone doesn't mind.  My head's killing me, and I don't even drink! Ugh... I woke up with a waitress (just like I often do).  How was I to know she was with the Russians, too?  (and the freaking TV doesn't even work...)

Not been focused here due to some real world family matters. With the dust settling here, I can get back to all this amazing activity.

TPD has been way ahead, getting me on the Spotters Guide, so here's the complete info.

First Half:

Sim: FSX

Race No: 151

Team: Phrog Phlyers

image.jpeg.0e1620160ca753a3bb85904a3999e124.jpeg

Sponsors: Leadbottom Rum

image.thumb.jpeg.e759e3749a00357e4a894cb1de10e3f3.jpeg

Pilot: Capt. Dirk Doovalacky (Army) Call sign: Double Dee

Passengers: None

Aircraft: 1972 Bell 206 TH-57, A17-042.

image.jpeg.48d9db6ffce2133d5ae190c3fa40fe0d.jpeg

Route: B&H 1976 Timed

Second Half:

Sim: FSX

Race No: N/A

Team: Phrog Phlyers

Sponsors: Leadbottom Rum

Pilot: Maj. Lawrence Larrikan (Air Force) Call sign: L2

Passengers: None

Aircraft: 1946 De Haviland Vampire  A79-617.

image.thumb.jpeg.a7f42d126340f193e6a622f9e66277b2.jpeg

Route: Eastern Free Flight

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

My progress toward Pert is going well.

Took off from CYWL in the C-133B Cargomaster with the Chippie inside.  Flew to Midway Island in the Pacific.  2828 miles in 8 hours and 12 minutes.  Started with 14478 gallons of fuel and landed with 216 gallons left.  (about 1% of fuel capacity, don't tell on me) 🙂

Used a nifty Autopilot for most of the flight.  Cruising at 34,000 ft most of the way.  About the second time I have used Autopilot in FS.

3percentfuelPMDY.thumb.jpg.d9f1e651c1833ccf3f96d4bab27a781c.jpg

On the approach to Midway we were lined up perfectly but for the shorter runway.  (3% fuel)

2percentfuelPMDY.thumb.jpg.5188ab47ffa7ef7854209d0ba670c3bd.jpg

So went around to land on the longer 12,000 ft runway.  My normal Spitfire type approach did not work so well! (2% fuel)

1percentfuelPMDY.thumb.jpg.d1097c31459eee753720ee0c67cec106.jpg

Finally landed fine on the runway and got stopped Ok. (1% fuel)  Taking a day off to rest - A 3869 mile flight to Darwin scheduled for tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Melo965 said:

Ok. (1% fuel)

Better than 0%!

phrog x 2.jpg

15 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

final race livery

Lookin' good!

phrog x 2.jpg

18 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Lets make the Red/Blue/Black thingies easy for you here.

Tnx VP2, that really helps clarify the other gentlemen's posts. Will practice all that today. Have got my YPJT flight saved, ready for takeoff in the C182RG, in my FS2002 default, am parked near the Tower near 06L which is the default runway.

So, bosses, some newbie-type questions (perhaps you've already stated, but don't recall seeing this detail, I've read the VP2 original post and have copied it and printed it, so have that detail, including
'On the Days you are Flying:
1) Route time for each leg begins when you roll for Take-Off (or Lift Off if flying a Helicopter), and ends at a full stop on Landing, or when the Skids touch the ground. If not stopping at a given Airport, you must still overfly that Field. Record the time when directly over the Field as the End Time of one Leg and the Start Time of the next.')

1. Timed entrant. Are we required to land at each airport, or can we simply overfly but record the necessary info that we were there e.g. screenshot? Hence 1st leg YPJT Jandakot > YKNG Katanning.

[Update: think the answer is, 'Either, land or overfly as a waypoint, but if latter, still report in the PIREP each leg's times.]

2. Event start is Mon 15 Jan. Is that local time for the airport i.e. YPJT? (Not USA time). Hence is that anytime beginning 0000 hrs 15 Jan Australian Western Standard Time (AWST)? (AWST=UTC+8, they don't do daylight saving, hence Sun 14 Jan 1600Z). I might be starting YPJT time about noon Mon 15 and just do YPJT>YKNG only. https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/australia/perth

54 minutes ago, MAD1 said:

So, bosses, some newbie-type questions (perhaps you've already stated, but don't recall seeing this detail):

1. Timed entrant. Are we required to land at each airport, or can we simply overfly but record the necessary info that we were there e.g. screenshot? Hence 1st leg YPJT Jandakot > YKNG Katanning.

2. Event start is Mon 15 Jan. Is that local time for the airport i.e. YPJT? (Not USA time). Hence is that anytime beginning 0000 hrs 15 Jan Australian Western Standard Time (AWST)? (AWST=UTC+8, they don't do daylight saving, hence Sun 14 Jan 1600Z) https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/australia/perth

MAD1 I shall endeavour to clarify your Questions thusly...

1. Each Segment (Leg) is Timed from when you start your Takeoff Roll  (all Red/Blue/Black thingies full Forward) until your Wheels touch the Ground at the Destination. For each Segment, you need to plan how long you estimate each Flight will take to Complete from Takeoff Roll to Touchdown. You'll then take the Actual Time it took you to fly each Segment and compare it to your Estimated Flight Time for each Segment. The Difference in Minutes over or Under your Estimated Time will be your "V Score" (V) for that Segment. The V Score for Each of your Segments will be added together after you Complete the Rally to come up with your Total V Score. The Competitor with a Cumulative V Score closest to Zero will be declared the Winner.

If you choose to overly an Airport instead of Landing, your Time for that Segment will stop when you fly over the Airport. That End Time will be the Starting Time for your next Segment.

For Example... You Estimate 1 hr 20 min to fly from YPJT Jandakot > YKNG Katanning. Your Actual Flight Time is 1 hr 21 min from Start to Finish. Your "V" would be +1 (1 min over your Estimated Time).

On your next Segment from YKNG Katanning > YNSM Norseman you Estimate 1 hr 26 min, and your Actual is 1 hr 12 min. Your "V" for this Segment is -14 (14 min under your Estimated Time).

The Total V Score of your two Segments is -13 (+1-14 = -13).

2. The January 15th Start Date is for us blokes East of the International Date Line. I did not take into consideration those West of the IDL. If you fall into that category, please adjust accordingly.

If you would, please Read the Race Information on the first page of this Thread; it may clear up any other Questions you may have.

Do you have any experience using SkyVector? It's the online Site we use for Flight Planning and to create the Logs to determine Estimated Segment times. If you aren't, not to worry. We'll help you out. 

I need to get two things from you at your earliest possible Convenience: what Airspeed you plan on flying at (in Knots), and the Altitude you plan to fly at. I'm guessing 135 kts. at 3,000 Feet AGL, but I'll wait to hear from you.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG