Multiple monitors with FSX

GDALE14853

Hi,

My questions may well have been asked before now, but there does not seem to be a 'search for topic' option available in the forum, so excuse me if I'm repeating an already asked and answered question!

I've been using FSX for quite some time, and have a lot of add-on scenery etc for it, so have stayed with FSX rather than progress to a newer Sim.

I have no experience of using more than one monitor on my Desktop PC. Is it possible to have multiple views on the separate screens? e.g. main screen with view forward, left screen with view forward/left, and right screen with view forward/right, all at the same time, to better simulate a cockpit view? Can FSX produce such multiple views? I see such an arrangement as I describe here as providing for better immersion in Sim Flight and would like to try to implement such a thing if it will work! Any advice/pointers would be most welcome!

16 hours ago, GDALE14853 said:

Hi,

My questions may well have been asked before now, but there does not seem to be a 'search for topic' option available in the forum, so excuse me if I'm repeating an already asked and answered question!

I've been using FSX for quite some time, and have a lot of add-on scenery etc for it, so have stayed with FSX rather than progress to a newer Sim.

I have no experience of using more than one monitor on my Desktop PC. Is it possible to have multiple views on the separate screens? e.g. main screen with view forward, left screen with view forward/left, and right screen with view forward/right, all at the same time, to better simulate a cockpit view? Can FSX produce such multiple views? I see such an arrangement as I describe here as providing for better immersion in Sim Flight and would like to try to implement such a thing if it will work! Any advice/pointers would be most welcome!

Yes, go to Views/New View/Cockpit/Virtual Cockpit, which will open a new window. Assuming you are in full-screem mode, just drag the window to a new screen. If you are in windowed mode you will need to right-click on the new window and select 'undock window' before you can drag it to another screen. You can now manipuate the views independently to set view direction. zoom, etc. The main limitation is that you will not be able to save the positions of the windows, so I think you will need to do some of these steps every time you want to fly. This is all documented in the Learning Centre, BTW.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

On the issue of having to repeat all the steps. I use an AutoHotKey script to save some leg work. I've attached the script I use. Once I have FSXSE running in free flight maximized but not in full screen mode I click Control-M and then wait for the script to finish without touching the mouse. My script is for 3 secondary monitors in a row above my laptop. If your setup is different, you'd need to edit the script to suit. The delays in the script work for my laptop but might need adjustment for other rigs. You end up with four windows with title bars removed so it looks like Fullscreen but isn't. 

FSXSE Multi-monitor.zip