CC/VBF Convair 240 "Proplems"

I tried to open an air file just to see what it looked like, and neither Windows nor me has a clue what program to open it with. So, I won't be subbing anything into or out of air files.

The .air file editor, IMO, is this one. Easily found in the library here. Give it a look. It's the easiest to use I've found, but I am by far not a professional developer. But it works great for me!

Hope that helps a little.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

The CV240 had electric, not hydraumatic props (no levers - switches instead). The blue lights indicate that that particular prop has synched up properly with the other as you vary the RPM on one or the other prop. Both these switches were easily used simultaneously with one hand in real life. Electric props always had problems though, and caused several accidents, especially when closing throttles to flare, or after selecting reverse during landings.

At low manifold pressure, with a high RPM selected - RPM control seems to not work only because there is not enough power to drive the engine up to that RPM - is that what you mean??

I set up two buttons on my joystick (side by side) for RPM control of constant speed props (one for increase and one for decrease), using the menu bar and OPTIONS/SETTINGS/CONTROLS/BUTTONS&KEYS: Propeller (increase RPM incrementally) with the "repeat" slider about half range - works for me. You could set up some other key combination as desired, such as CNTL+R / SHIFT+R, etc.

In FSX, GPS cannot use the "OBS" button to bypass a waypoint. However, their is a way to do it to intercept a route at some checkpoint downstream. Rather than going through it, GOOGLE "GPS bypass waypoint FSX" and you will find out the process.

Good luck

The .air file editor, IMO, is this one. Easily found in the library here. Give it a look. It's the easiest to use I've found, but I am by far not a professional developer. But it works great for me!

Hope that helps a little.

Pat☺

Thanks, Pat, just d/l and will try it out later tonight.

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

The CV240 had electric, not hydraumatic props (no levers - switches instead). The blue lights indicate that that particular prop has synched up properly with the other as you vary the RPM on one or the other prop.

Thanks, I figured out how to use the switches once I reverted the modified air file so that they were functional. Before that, they did nothing.

At low manifold pressure, with a high RPM selected - RPM control seems to not work only because there is not enough power to drive the engine up to that RPM - is that what you mean??

No, that's not at all what I meant. Again, I had no RPM control whatsoever, using the switches OR using the default FSX Ctrl+F2/F3 controls, at any MAP from 43" on high blower to ambient atmospheric pressure at altitude. This failure was later traced to a modification in my air file that inadvertently disabled a lot of panel controls unique to this model. Reverting the air file fixed most of them.

In FSX, GPS cannot use the "OBS" button to bypass a waypoint. However, their is a way to do it to intercept a route at some checkpoint downstream. Rather than going through it, GOOGLE "GPS bypass waypoint FSX" and you will find out the process.

Cool, I'll see what info Google can point me to. What I ended up doing to work around my inability to manually cycle past the waypoints that ATC forced me to skip was cancelling IFR in mid-flight, then opening a new IFR flight plan from the airport I had departed from an hour earlier to the same destination as the original flight plan. This gave me the expected pink track line at my present position in the GPS and the correct "next" waypoint is active, but strangely, now the AP won't track the course in navigation (GPS) mode... while on my last flight, where ATC didn't vector me around my first couple of waypoints, it tracked it fine in GPS mode. I'm now autopilot-coupled navigating on VOR1, which, thankfully, is located on my destination airport. So from this I learned that cancelling a flight plan halfway along its route and then air-filing a new one apparently breaks the connection between the GPS and the autopilot. There is just something terribly broken, I think, about the FSX ATC system and the way it interacts with navigation automation.

Thanks-

i7-10700K @3.8-5.1GHz, 32GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM, GTR-2060 Super 8GB, 2x SSDs

Archived