Fsx se api.dll crash to desktop.

Reco01

Hi all

Sometimes when I start FSX se, when my flight  loads within a couple of seconds I get the blue  spinning icon and fsx se stops and I am back to the desktop Looking at event view I have located this error message

which is below

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a
Faulting module name: API.DLL, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9ab5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000e3b9a
Faulting process id: 0x1ddc
Faulting application start time: 0x01da217ff04c1970
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\API.DLL
Report Id: 151187a8-414b-4c4d-8cd8-c55360c1cec2
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Doesn't do it all the time but a little annoying and wondering if anyone here as had the same issue and is there a fix. 

Regards 

Rhys 

Rhys, the exception code here:

Exception code: 0xc0000005

means that "something" attempted to write to an area of RAM where it had no access rights. There is nothing, however, that says what this "something" is, but in all the cases of this that I have seen, "something" has proven to be an incompatible or badly programmed add-on.

You also say "when my flight  loads" - I assume you mean when you load a saved flight. Does this then only happen when you load saved flights, or?

Jorgen

I'm running into a similar problem again.  I have a saved default flight starting at KBFI using the default 737-800.  Often times, when I change aircraft, FSX just disappears with no error message and nothing shows on my crash report that it ever happened.  I have to restart the sim 2 or 3 times and then it seems to run ok but it's frustrating to have to do this.  I have yet to take a complete flight.  Using primarily aircraft from a site recommended for Steam aircraft and they're really nice and work well if the sim stays up.  I did remove the 'dump' files but I don't think they were the issue.

That's the thing.  My app crash shows nothing about this.  It doesn't even register.  I also do an integrity check each day and it always comes out clean   49,032 files always within spec.  I don't know where else to look for any specs.  It seems like something simple as when it's up, it looks great.  I do notice that on the Integrity check, it never seems to include the aircraft.  49,032 has always been the figure as I have no addons except the planes I got from the Steam source.

Thanks guys

I ran a verify files within steam  but didn't make any difference. Doing some looking on the Internet it seems to be connected to something is trying to access or write to memory, but that's just one theory 

Rhys 

My crash report seems to think there is some issue with the MSVCR80.dll.     First off, I didn't have one in Win 11.  I did add it to the system 32 folder but we still have the same issue.   I'm not techy enough to know where to go with this beyond here.

Read through the instructions on this web page and then click the download link in orange.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks,

I did all that and installed the .dll into the System 32, overriding the one that was there, but still get the same error on the crash report.  This seems the only hangup but I can't seem to shake it.  It all seems to revolve around this one stupid .dll file.

Thanks but this isn't the problem I'm having.  The computer works fine, it's brand new a month old and boots just fine into everything else.  FSX Steam is the only place I have the issue and that is that it disappears back to desktop.  As you can see, the Event Viewer sees a problem with MSVCR80.dll.   I didn't have that in Windows 11 so I put it in and still get the same message. Not sure what FSX wants from me.

You have to focus on the exception code, not the faulting module name. What is happening is that within the faulting module "something" happens that generates that exception code and then drops you back to the desktop.

And I would be very, very hesitant about downloading any modules of any kind from anywhere but Microsoft themselves, no matter if it's for Windows 10 or 11.

And I was just looking back at your Event Viewer log - the entry you posted does not come from Windows Logs/Application, but from Custom Views/Summary Page Events, and that may be misleading. At the same time stamp, what do you have in Windows Logs/Application?

Jorgen

On 12/3/2023 at 5:57 AM, Reco01 said:

Thanks guys

I ran a verify files within steam  but didn't make any difference. Doing some looking on the Internet it seems to be connected to something is trying to access or write to memory, but that's just one theory 

Rhys 

Been there several times, just my opinion; but sometimes the only option is to do a complete reinstall which can by the way be a great opportunity to reconsider your previous setup and do things differently.  I keep somekind of a record of each reinstall of things I've changed that proved to be an improvement like the order in which add-ons have to be installed, bit depth of textures etc........, best wishes....  

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

22 hours ago, jorgen.s.andersen said:

You have to focus on the exception code, not the faulting module name. What is happening is that within the faulting module "something" happens that generates that exception code and then drops you back to the desktop.

And I would be very, very hesitant about downloading any modules of any kind from anywhere but Microsoft themselves, no matter if it's for Windows 10 or 11.

And I was just looking back at your Event Viewer log - the entry you posted does not come from Windows Logs/Application, but from Custom Views/Summary Page Events, and that may be misleading. At the same time stamp, what do you have in Windows Logs/Application?

Jorgen

Here's the log from yesterday's crash as you describe above

Crash.jpg

1 hour ago, piet06273 said:

Been there several times, just my opinion; but sometimes the only option is to do a complete reinstall which can by the way be a great opportunity to reconsider your previous setup and do things differently.  I keep somekind of a record of each reinstall of things I've changed that proved to be an improvement like the order in which add-ons have to be installed, bit depth of textures etc........, best wishes....  

Hi and thanks.  I did that twice with the same result.  I've sent the event view with further detail as I don't understand the 'exception' codes and modules and all that. Hopefully Jorgen or someone can pick up what I've missed.  When FSX does stay up, which is sometimes, it works great.  Problem seems to be when changing aircraft though I don't know this is the root of it.

This is the exception code I referred to in a post above, together with suggestions for a solution.

It is very, very important to understand that this code in this case refers to a Windows problem, not a FSX problem. This has to be resolved before FSX con run OK. Uninstalling and reinstalling FSX will not help one iota.

And figuring out what the exception code means is no kind of black magic - I can do it, and I am not particularly smart. You copy the exception code, paste it into your favorite browser's search field and let the browser search, then you get the pages I linked to.

But here's one thing that is relatively easy to do, and will take you some of the way - with a little bit of luck.

Go to the search field on your task bar, and type "command prompt". Then on the right side of the screen that pops up, select "Run as administrator". Now, at the prompt, type this:

sfc /scannow

and let this run through. What this will do is scan your system files and attempt to repair any errors it sees.

Jorgen

ok, I'll work on that.  I did a repair on the 2015 C++ but still happening, so I'll work with the above.  I wasn't going to do another install of FSX anyway as even I didn't think it was that.  Thanks for the prompts and I'll let you know later.

1 hour ago, jorgen.s.andersen said:

This is the exception code I referred to in a post above, together with suggestions for a solution.

It is very, very important to understand that this code in this case refers to a Windows problem, not a FSX problem. This has to be resolved before FSX con run OK. Uninstalling and reinstalling FSX will not help one iota.

And figuring out what the exception code means is no kind of black magic - I can do it, and I am not particularly smart. You copy the exception code, paste it into your favorite browser's search field and let the browser search, then you get the pages I linked to.

But here's one thing that is relatively easy to do, and will take you some of the way - with a little bit of luck.

Go to the search field on your task bar, and type "command prompt". Then on the right side of the screen that pops up, select "Run as administrator". Now, at the prompt, type this:

sfc /scannow

and let this run through. What this will do is scan your system files and attempt to repair any errors it sees.

Jorgen

11:50am  I did the scannow (working backward) and the scan said it found corrupt files and repaired them.  I'll see if this was the easy fix. If not, I'll go with the steps prior in your post.

Also remember that Windows Updates come out every second Tuesday of the month, at 10:00 AM Pacific time - 19:00 for me here in Germany.

When you run Windows Update, then make sure that in Update, under Advanced options, the switch "Receive updates for other Microsoft products" is set to On, and leave this in the On position. That way you'll get the updates to the C++ libraries and the .NET Framework that you need.

Jorgen

I will do that.   I'm still having the problem but I'm going to follow your steps above.  Thing is, it runs on start up.  I can even change aircraft ONCE.  After that, if I try to change aircraft a 2nd time, it crashes. Very curious but I'll keep working it, focusing on the exception code.  Thanks

Hi again,

well mixed results.  I seem to have fixed one problem, but now I get this one.  The fix is to run the file checker sfc / scannow which I did and it finds no integrity issue so nothing to fix.    This report today address   API.dll and no longer MSVCH80.dll        The program will boot up and play with a plane I load.  But then again the same issue.  change planes and lose the FSX.  Ideas?  Different exception code this time.  I also downloaded the C++ redistribution and loaded that,  no file errors detected.

Crash.jpg

The "new" exception code is a well-known one, and it means that "something" is attempting to write to an area of RAM where it has no access rights.

There is nothing, though, that shows what this "something" is or could be, but in all the cases of this exception code that I have seen, here or in L-M's P3D forums or on my own system, this "something" has proven to be a badly programmed or incompatible add-on.

So, you say that this happens after you "change planes". Which plane did you change to? That one will be the prime suspect.

Jorgen