Catch me up to speed plz

Hello fellow simmers. I have just come back to flying and was wondering how VR has improved over the last 2 years? Just catch me up to speed. I went for a flight today and it was brilliant...first flight in 2 years...completed the updates and it all worked seamlessly.

When I left the HIVE VR goggles were very popular. Any changes? I am currently on the Oculus rift.

How is hand tracking coming along?

Are the Saitek TPM throttle compatible yet?

Here is my rig...worth upgrading 2 years later?

Processor Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor (8x 3.60GHz/16MB L3 Cache)Processor

iBUYPOWER 120mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black

Memory32GB (16GB x 2) DDR4 3200MHz CORSAIR Vengeance LPX

Video CardNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready) - Single Card

Motherboard ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO -- RGB

Power Supply850 Watt - CORSAIR RM850X Black - 80 PLUS Gold, Full Modular

Hard Drive1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD 

I am not an expert on specs for MSFS, but it looks solid enough.  I would try a flight around New York City, London, Chicago in VR and see how you do (that's how I gauge my performance) 

As for VR, I feel it has gotten better over the years.  Make sure you running the Open XR toolkit (think you can get it from the MS Store for free).  There are a LOT of You Tube video's on how to optimize your VR performance.

I use the HP Reverb myself and love it!!!!

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I borrowed one for a few days (I believe it was a Quest 2) and didn't get on with it.  The resolution was poor, it was fairly jittery and stuttery and it made e feel sick.  I wear verifocal glasses and that didn't help either although I know you can buy lenses to fit it.

So I bought TrackIR 5 and a few months later cannot imagine flying without it.  Expensive but a great addition for my flight sim.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi; For what it's worth, I would consider adding more hard drive space. My Flightsim install uses about 500 MB of space so if you are going to be installing that as well as your operating system and any other software you may run out of storage quickly.

Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 32 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*. MSFS Premium Edition

On 11/27/2023 at 2:30 PM, amberdog1 said:

I haven't gone VR yet, I do have trackIR 5 and like that. your rig is good, if I were to change anything I'd get a newer video card like the Nvidia 4000 series. 

Hope this helps...

Happy 🧑‍✈️ Flyin

If you try it you will never go back to any other type of flying. I still hit IFR in VR np if that's the concern.

On 11/27/2023 at 2:39 AM, davidc2 said:

I am not an expert on specs for MSFS, but it looks solid enough.  I would try a flight around New York City, London, Chicago in VR and see how you do (that's how I gauge my performance) 

As for VR, I feel it has gotten better over the years.  Make sure you running the Open XR toolkit (think you can get it from the MS Store for free).  There are a LOT of You Tube video's on how to optimize your VR performance.

I use the HP Reverb myself and love it!!!!

Yes that's what I was thinking of, the HP Reverb. Ok thanks, I will look into it.

On 11/26/2023 at 3:26 PM, BackInTheCockpit said:

Video CardNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB

I have this card running the Pimax Crystal.  I can't comment on any other HMD since this is my first.  However, the difference was like the old wireframe FS of the 80's versus FSX.  In other words FS2020 with my Track IR 5 to Crystal with depth perception and being in the cockpit was night and day.  Needed a few settings sorted and depending on those settings can run like a slide show or silky.  I am not running full resolution yet but intend to skip a generation of graphics cards since it currently is very good.

On 11/29/2023 at 9:27 PM, Buck Turgidson said:

I have this card running the Pimax Crystal.  I can't comment on any other HMD since this is my first.  However, the difference was like the old wireframe FS of the 80's versus FSX.  In other words FS2020 with my Track IR 5 to Crystal with depth perception and being in the cockpit was night and day.  Needed a few settings sorted and depending on those settings can run like a slide show or silky.  I am not running full resolution yet but intend to skip a generation of graphics cards since it currently is very good.

That looks great...I was leaning towards the reverb but now going with Pimax. This video shows some hand tracking on aerofly fs2 footage...how is the hand tracking coming along? I am going to go for a flight today. I think hand tracking is the only missing link right now for MSFS2020 VR if you want to hit IFR approaches. I mean I can still do it with the handsets but a bit clunky turning the dials. 

• 2 weeks later...

The hand tracking is NFG and not fully supported in 2020.  I program the buttons on my flight controllers and use the trackball for the remaining items.  I found the track ball much easier to use in the VR.  Soon Crystal will have pass through and I might get some kind of radio dial knobs or make something up.