Did I do something wrong?

LordofGats

Well, just now because I added this to my game today, I have noticed that some Retro AI aircraft that I added and propped up using AIFP, didn't seem to appear.
I thought at first it just misinstalled, so I recompiled again

Well, they are in the /world/scenary folder, this is somewhat the first time I actually installed some AI instead of the WOAI really. Am I doing something stupidly wrong?

5 hours ago, LordofGats said:

this is somewhat the first time I actually installed some AI instead of the WOAI really

Hi Mr. Terry 

If WOAI (with it's handy installer) is your only experience, you probably forgot to install the AI aircraft models and the corresponding repaints.

The models and repaints are listed in this thread https://retroai.proboards.com/post/29391

But I don't have the ambition to rewrite an "How to install AI traffic from scratch"-thread.

Everything is already said and should be available on the web. IMO the AIFP manual should be a good start.

But it will be overwhelming with a rather steep learning curve.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

11 hours ago, f16jockey_2 said:

Hi Mr. Terry 

If WOAI (with it's handy installer) is your only experience, you probably forgot to install the AI aircraft models and the corresponding repaints...

...Everything is already said and should be available on the web. IMO the AIFP manual should be a good start...

Well Wim, my friend, They were installed along the repaints and aircraft as such, The only issue is probably if I installed it wrong, or forgot a step.

image.png?ex=656e7ad2&is=655c05d2&hm=441

It's probably the little "Can we use the zip file as the repaint's folder?" The AIFP told me that I rejected, so I think that's the main cause.

Hi again,

sorry for misjudging your experience.

First thing to check is if the aircraft are installed OK. 

Do so by adding a panel to the aircraft.

In the above folder, create a folder called panel. In that folder create a text file named panel.cfg.

The contents of the folder should be (you can copy/paste) :

[fltsim]
alias=.\SimObjects\Airplanes\B737_800\panel

Do the same with the other aircraft you've added.

When starting FSX, your AI planes should now be in the list of flyable aircraft.

You should be able to select them and you'll get a view of them on the start screen (check if the repaint lines up, check for black aircraft etc.).

Once an aircraft folder checks out OK, you can delete the panel folder. Otherwise you aircraft selection screen will become overwhelmed.

You can keep a copy of this panel folder on your desktop for future use (at least, that's what I do).

If this doesn't solve your problem, the second step is to check the aircraft titles.

Load your flight plan in AIFP, and check for any RED lines in the AIRCRAFT LIST.

ScreenShot_20231121122850.thumb.jpg.e0e1621505b80d4dc7a0cc061b2ea54e.jpg

To correct this, the title=... in aircraft.cfg should be identical to the name in quotes in the Aircraft_???.txt file.

Use copy/paste to correct this.

ScreenShot_20231121124633.thumb.jpg.ed9ec1348b41aac75dcdb7827300f7ff.jpg

Recompile and check the result.

If this still doesn't solve the problem, post back.

Wim

But be VERY aware, that not all AI aircraft are intended to be user-flyable, therefore their flight dynamics when flown by a user kinda.... sucks, to put it nicely.

In the readme files that come with many AI aircraft you'll see explicit warnings against flying them yourself. That warning is there for the above reason.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but just be forewarned.

Jorgen

Last step (I hope).

AI Traffic can be compiled in two formats, FS9 and FSX.

Problem: when the two are mixed, FS9-format takes control and blocks FSX-format traffic. Only FS9 format is shown.

So now you need to find FS9-formatted files, this can be done with AIFP.

FS9Traffic.thumb.jpg.ccaaa98295ce698ac0992a2293f8f895.jpg

Once the files are found, you can either delete them (this means losing the traffic from these files) or convert them to FSX-format (same menu, the line below).

Once converted, don't forget to delete the original FS9 BGLs.

If this doesn't solve the problem, I'm out of thoughts.

Wim