A310: Nearest VOR?

Hey guys, 

Still learning the ins and outs of the A310 before attempting to fly it on VATSIM. 

With that said, since it does not have a “modern” GPS system, is there a way to find my distance and position relative to a nearby VOR? Maybe there’s a function in the FMS I’m overlooking?

Thank you for any and all advice!

Colin

There's no DME Gauge on the Panel? That generally gives you Distance, Ground Speed and Bearing To/From the VOR if your NAV 1 or NAV 2 is tuned into the VOR Frequency.

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Speaking generically, if the plane has a glass cockpit, the DME is usually on the main nav section (with the ATT and HSI), but it may just show the distance as a number without a "DME" label, it may be labeled VOR1 (or VOR2), may also display the frequency.  Otherwise it could also be on a popup panel or on the radio panel or one of the mfd displays (if the latter you may have to switch through several modes to find it). 

• Like 2

I don't have the airbus, but most MFD / PFD aircraft have it displayed through selection (VOR / ADF) either on a map menu or a switch on the EFIS panel if the do not have a separate RMI. If a needle is shown the DME and ident will usually also be shown

• Like 1

Yes there is a DME indication, perhaps I should have been more clear. I was curious if there was a function where the FMS would self-determine the closest VOR to you, and your distance from it without actually having to plug in the VOR frequency. For example, the Garmin GPS in FSX had a function where it would list closest VORs in order of closest to farthest. 

The reason I’m asking is it’s an easy way to quickly determine the closest navaid, so I’m quickly able to report my position to ATC. Sorry guys, still learning 😃, I’ve had FSX since it was released and just got FS2020 about a month ago. 

Thanks again,

Colin 

• Like 1