Boeing Model 40

JSMR

I flew it Yesterday... one of my favorites! Cruises along at a sedate 95 KIAS, and lands like a dream. You'll really like it. Another good one from GAS is their Stinson Junior.

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

7 hours ago, jgf said:

So cray cray. I searched every which way on simmarket and got nothing but the fsx version. Last thing I did before bed was email them if a download was available as I saw nothing for fs2004 on their site. Nice surprise to see them email me with a zip folder if the add-on. No support offered of course but happy to receive it as freeware!

Did a little test and she flies beautifully. Very nice add-on indeed. Will be perfect as I expand my United virtual airline to include some vintage routes with this one, the Tri-Motor and Boeing 247. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSMR said:

So cray cray. I searched every which way on simmarket and got nothing but the fsx version. Last thing I did before bed was email them if a download was available as I saw nothing for fs2004 on their site. Nice surprise to see them email me with a zip folder if the add-on. No support offered of course but happy to receive it as freeware!

Did a little test and she flies beautifully. Very nice add-on indeed. Will be perfect as I expand my United virtual airline to include some vintage routes with this one, the Tri-Motor and Boeing 247. 

That was very cool of GAS to send you the whole Add On!

I wish someone did a nice version of the Model 80 Trimotor; there used to be an FS2002 version but I can't find it anymore.

NC-178E had quite the Flight History...

https://dmairfield.org/airplanes/NC178E/index.html

You should try Tim Conrad's Model 221 Monomail; it flies nice too, and it would complete your Collection!

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I only have the JBK Southern Cross. I wanted to download other Fokker Tri-Motors as I had an idea about wanting to base a Virtual Airline around Kingsfords-Smiths brief foray into running an airline using them. (Avro 618 Ten)

I got a nice little collection of biplanes in my Golden Wings install. An Auster.

A few classic early propliners (along with the usual Douglas DC variants and Connies) in my 'Classic' install - Boeing 247, Lockheed Lodestar. An Avro York!! Which has an amazing climb. Of almost none. 😄

Just need to start using them. 🤗

2 hours ago, sfgarland said:

are those by JBK?  He has many classic/vintage planes.

Yes, he's created quite a few period aircraft, some virtually forgotten in RL.

And a must for vintage airliners is the Curtiss Condor (also from Kristenson), obsolescent when released, many passengers preferred it to the more modern DC-2;  the Condor was roomier, quieter, and smoother riding than the Douglas.  It was the first airliner with sleeper accommodations (though only twelve passengers in that configuration) and flew the first coast to coast commercial passenger flight, making about a dozen stops along the way (oddly, at two points the passengers got off the plane, went a couple of hundred miles on a train, then got back on the plane;  no reason given in the articles I read, but I suspect union interference).  I recreated that flight some years ago in FS2004, ignoring the trains and flying those segments. 

A screenshot from somewhere in Arizona (my Condor was in fictional "Miskatonic University" livery)

condor.thumb.jpg.49d6b6473f05ee3c00a2debeeb478b5d.jpg

• Like 2

I have JBK's mid 40's and 50's stuff like the DC-4 & 6, and the aforementioned historical Boeing mail/passenger planes. The late Paul Clawson made some nice planes like the Stinson SR-10, Beechcraft Staggerwing and Howard DGA-15. They're pretty basic in both the 2D/VC department, but they sure look nice! They fly pretty well also, and are quite speedy. Glad to see so many Freeware choices being considered here; it's one of the reasons Nine has such a rabid following. And if you're looking for something, just ask. Also, don't look just here. Try the other FS Sites as well.

About Panels... I'm a 2D Panel kind of guy, so if there's a Plane with a sparse Panel I'll probably fiddle with it. I'm getting used to using the VC, but more often than not I'll go to the digital Minipanel by Bill McClellan and the Rear Outside View for Landing.

I was just about set on what I was gonna fly (Tim Conrad's Navion), but then PP goes and throws an egg beater into the mix. Next you guys start talking about Staggerwings.

Now I'm so confused! What do I want to fly now? Spartan Executive? Beech 18? Was on a Milton Shupe thing yesterday... The Helo idea sounds intriguing.

• Like 2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 hour ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Now I'm so confused! What do I want to fly now?

I can relate;  so many aircraft, so little time.

The '47 Bonanza was my first thought.  But the Staggerwing is a good option.

Perhaps the Davis D-1-W?  (Around fifty were produced in 1929-1930, with various engines;  several are still flying today.)

Davis_.thumb.jpg.ad06350785287188b865c31b2b330066.jpg

Or the Bellanca Aircruiser?  Ineligible for passenger service once regulations required at least two engines, it was highly regarded as a cargo carrier (a single engine plane that could carry its own weight in cargo); a couple were converted as "executive" aircraft;  several cargo haulers remained in service into the seventies. in Canada.

aircruiser_awc.thumb.jpg.931ed3a88bfb73c8a54fd9e7844ebcc4.jpg

For early airliners, the obscure Miller HM-4 "Aerovale".  Designed as a 4-6 passenger feeder airliner, only one was built, in 1939;  the little information available indicates it was well built and flew well, but received no orders (probably since there were already several nice aircraft serving the function, and prospective customers' skepticism  of Miller's ability to deliver on time).  A couple of years later the aircraft was "donated to a tech school".  (According to descriptions and the couple of small grainy photos available, this paint is correct.)

Miller_hm-4.thumb.jpg.77d0f3837a39400dad0307554e0bcc88.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I'm a 2D Panel kind of guy

Ditto.  I find the 2D panel much easier for take-off, landing, and navigating;  I go to the VC for sightseeing.  To that end I began creating more accurate 2d panels for many aircraft (especially early FS2004 offerings, many of which used rather generic panels).  This has become a hobby in itself, and I've invested too much HD real estate in cockpit photos.

Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer

twinpin.thumb.jpg.4ebcccfd0e6e17fe87ad10fdb449b5cc.jpg

Aircruiser (only had one, business card size, b/w photo to work from, most of this was hand drawn)

aircruiser.thumb.jpg.f18b683a17d8da9bd27535c3048bc314.jpg

Bristol 170

b170.thumb.jpg.bdf2534329d3d1fa3eb15830d6439587.jpg

An early effort, for a Sunderland (yoke is removable)

sunderland.thumb.jpg.d3312bb63108d19dc13e16a41b0005cc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice. For me, no VC with a 2D Panel is ideal; I can Snap View anywhere without obstructions. Give me a Photoreal .bmp and I'll do a nice one. I'm a freak for Gauges.

With DS Panel Studio it's a breeze. I just updated the Default 172 and 182 with Garmin G5, and added it to another 172 I kludged together using the Default model and an FDE written by a long time Member here. It's fast like a 182, and is great for 'backcountry' work. I think all three of them fly just as well as the Carenado counterparts I have loaded. I'm about ready to take them off my HD just to take some load off the Sim.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG