AAM error

jgf

I export a table from AAM, make a couple of edits, try to import and get:

aam_error.jpg.76c3b063c6891293cf4db92289b8569b.jpg

The number shown is the first one in the table, which I haven't edited (though in the txt file there are periods instead of commas).  As a test, I exported the table then tried to import it with no changes, not even opening it, and get the same result. 

Found a thread mentioning the same issue, they had tried changing the periods to commas, made no difference.  They were advised to install DX9;  that cannot be my issue, I have DX9, 10, and 11 (several versions of each) installed.  I could manually edit these numbers within AAM but there are 40 and over half of them are so close together it's practically impossible to select them in sequence.

Have instructions for doing this in AirEd:  use l/r arrow keys to move from point to point, that works;  "x" to open editing window for selected point, does nothing.

'Floating point error' makes me think that either the airfile was written in a different editor which didn't apply the same pass/fail criteria to values or that one part of AAM works ok but the import/export utility has its own rules incompatible with the core. It's the kind of thing that happens in updates that add functionality, especially when they're added some time after an initial release and the creator has forgotten what rules he originally used. Given that you can edit manually within AAM, that kind of bug seems more likely.

Period or comma might make a difference (though obviously not in this case) but if the coder is any good, the decimal separator should follow the user's machine's regional settings.

Try reducing the decimal places to 2 so that = -3.14

Out of interest, what variable has minus pi as its value?

D

Thanks.  Nice to think maybe it's the software and not me (for once).

This was airfile table 404, the first lines are:

-3.14159256    0
-2.74889349    0.359863281
-2.37319442    0.5
-1.98049535    0.359863281
-1.58779628    0
-1.19509721    -0.333496094

FWIW, this was an FS2002 aircraft;  it flew decently in XP and Vista, not so well in Win7.  I know some FS2002 aircraft work equally well in either sim and some need "conversion", so I looked up what that conversion involved ...and hit this wall. 

I have since run it through Airwrench, changing it from "FS2002 GA jet" to "FS2004 military jet" and it's flying much better, though I'm still tweaking (engine response is horribly slow, if you stall you'll never get thrust in time to save it;  autopilot is equally slow, hunting forever to make a 500ft altitude change;  and adjusting the landing gear could be a full time hobby ...though I can land it without bouncing ...usually).