How about a simple Challenge Flight for us Niners?

ViperPilot2

I flew the first leg again at max continuous (as max power is a little beyond the pale).  Wheels up at 8:00am (PDT), Touchdown at 10:29am (MDT).  Total Time 1:29.  Average Speed 519nm/1.483hr = 349kts.  Seems more appropriate and as such would like to make it official.

Each leg was flown at somewhat idealistic conditions with cool outside temperatures, few clouds and no tail or headwinds.  As such the numbers pretty much match the book.  Should I need to fly the legs again to reflect any specific minimums just let me know?  I would love to see what a 15-25kt tailwind would do for the numbers.

If all good I’ll sign my scorecard and submit the following:  Leg 1 - 1hr 29m; Leg 2 - 1hr 19m; Leg 3 - 1hr 11m; Leg 4 - 1hr 15m.  Total Time - 5hr 14m.  Thanks for letting me fly the Sea Fury.  See you all in Cleveland!

Fury_5.jpg.6eb7e95e40b8335b4353b03be2707c45.jpg

• Like 2

I have one more test I am going to do. I want to see if I can get this thing off the ground heading the other way. So far I have been going out to the pacific because of the steep drop off after the runway. That way takes longer to get turned on course. Time to see if we can trim some buildings.

I also am declaring I am changing my weather theme. I am going again, hard core. I just spent a number of hours working on getting FSMetars 1.55Beta up and running with Real World weather from "Alternate VATSIM" It is data I download from https://www.aviationweather.gov

https://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/dataserver_current/current/metars.cache.csv

It took me awhile to figure it out but I got there. I came up with an automated process to download the file every 10 minutes. FSMetars pulls the data I downloaded every 15 minutes and updates FS9 every 30.

It is working good. I say that having run it from on the ground for the last 5hrs. Actually flying... Well I will test that come race time.

For time keeping I am pretty bad at clicking the stopwatch so I am going to run the last version of Duenna. It will give me a better flight log I can refer to as my time. I will do a manual start and shutdown. As well I will make a post here on the forums letting you know I am flying my leg.

Close to ready

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 - A Century of Flight 10_2_2023 12_46_47 PM.jpg

There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sounds good, teoftedal! Since you're 'officially' the first one into Cleveland, you have a Mission thrust upon you:

Find the best Mexican Restaurant, the best Burger joint, and the best Ramen shop in Town.

Please post your Results... 😁

DangerousDave... a couple things. Everything sounds good regarding your Flight; on my third Flight I forgot to click the Stopwatch because I was so focused with the Clock on the Panel! 😋

About your Superfortress... I clicked on the Link you provided for the Repaint you're using, and was sent straight to the SOH main Search page! No biggie; I can look through their File Library. My question is regarding the Model itself; is this the Tom Kohler Superfortress, part of his "Superfortress Mania" Package? I have it installed, but I'm not sure it's 'complete'. Do I have to combine several pieces of his other Models to get a 'complete' Superfortress?

Oh... Sorry I haven't given 'likes' on the majority of the Posts; it seems I'm limited to so many per day... 🤔

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

52 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

I flew the first leg again at max continuous (as max power is a little beyond the pale).  Wheels up at 8:00am (PDT), Touchdown at 10:29am (MDT).  Total Time 1:29.  Average Speed 519nm/1.483hr = 349kts.  Seems more appropriate and as such would like to make it official.

Each leg was flown at somewhat idealistic conditions with cool outside temperatures, few clouds and no tail or headwinds.  As such the numbers pretty much match the book.  Should I need to fly the legs again to reflect any specific minimums just let me know?  I would love to see what a 15-25kt tailwind would do for the numbers.

If all good I’ll sign my scorecard and submit the following:  Leg 1 - 1hr 29m; Leg 2 - 1hr 19m; Leg 3 - 1hr 11m; Leg 4 - 1hr 15m.  Total Time - 5hr 14m.  Thanks for letting me fly the Sea Fury.  See you all in Cleveland!

Nice! That Sea Fury is such a beast. I'm flying a couple legs today. We might as well just hand the trophy to you. 👑💲💯

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JSMR said:

Nice! That Sea Fury is such a beast. I'm flying a couple legs today. We might as well just hand the trophy to you. 👑💲💯

Good Luck, JSMR! Go Git 'Em! 🙂

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

“OK team, morning briefing, all bright eyed and bushy tailed I hope.”

Looking round at the team of two seemed to indicate otherwise.

“Before we start; the organisers want to know if the time we recorded yesterday is our official time. Anybody want to re-run the leg?...Please John can you keep your eyes open, that way I can kid myself you're following the conversation”.

Silence.

“OK yesterdays' time stands. For the record:”

SCOTTISHMIKE SPITFIRE XIV Leg One 1hour 24minutes Distance: 519 n.m.

Start 11:06:07 Local 18:06:07 GMT

Arrival 13:30 Local 19:30 GMT

Average speed 370.71 Kts

Fuel 99.9% start 21.6% finish

“ We are pretty much at max speed so we can only gain by doing a smart ascent and descent. John climb out at 3000' per minute, max throttle, 4 or 5 notches back on propeller. The critical part is leaning the mixture, gentle almost continuos decrease as you climb. Second critical part is what altitude to cruise at. Pay attention to the Hill City forecast.”

Suzanne jabbed John in the ribs. “I'm awake., no need for that.”

KHLCweather.jpg.a4542ce2612dabb0d3e551da36f725f8.jpg

“Notice the upper air: unusual but at 5,010' wind is 208 degrees at 39 kt at around our usual 20,000' it's 199 degrees at 25 kt We will be heading 062 degrees so it may be we cruise quite low.

John remember we are at 6000', don't try 5000' till we clear the Rockies. As JGF said you don't want “"attempt to descend below the level of surrounding terrain". On any reports.”

“Oh, one more thing, we now have sponsors, so keep all receipts: hotels, food, petrol. Suzanne anything you need to buy for the plane document it. No point in having sponsor money and not using it.

OK, let's get up to the airport and start the second leg. Another point, please someone send a note to Dangerous dave26; tell him not to turn left if he's departing KSMO Rwy 210. We dont want the FAA forbidding the race”

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ViperPilot2 said:

About your Superfortress... I clicked on the Link you provided for the Repaint you're using, and was sent straight to the SOH main Search page! No biggie; I can look through their File Library. My question is regarding the Model itself; is this the Tom Kohler Superfortress, part of his "Superfortress Mania" Package? I have it installed, but I'm not sure it's 'complete'. Do I have to combine several pieces of his other Models to get a 'complete' Superfortress?

It is indeed the Superfortress Mania but it has been so long since I installed it I can't remember how to do it. His installs tended to alias panels etc to other like models there by saving disc space. Textures were often times in a "texture.common" folder. For this one you need

_GY_B-29B

_GY_B-29-SP

Those are the aircraft folder name once installed.

The link for the paint should have sent you to the Warbirds library and let you search for my name. This is the actual link to the package.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=195&id=2892

That pack should have the paint I am using.

• Like 1

There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

38 minutes ago, Dangerousdave26 said:

It is indeed the Superfortress Mania but it has been so long since I installed it I can't remember how to do it. His installs tended to alias panels etc to other like models there by saving disc space. Textures were often times in a "texture.common" folder. For this one you need

_GY_B-29B

_GY_B-29-SP

Those are the aircraft folder name once installed.

The link for the paint should have sent you to the Warbirds library and let you search for my name. This is the actual link to the package.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=195&id=2892

That pack should have the paint I am using.

Awesome, Dave! I have the _GY_B-29B Folder in my Sim, so I should be GTG. Thanks! 😀

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

First leg in! 

SMO-CEZ

Start : 0830 Local

Finish : 11:02 Local

Height 31000 😮
Power settings :

Take off & climb : 61 / 3000 which has max available for 15 mins (will post placard pic and its in the real manual 😜)

Crz : 46 / 2700  (Max Continuous) 

Climb speed : 210-220 mph (faster then recommended but seemed to be a happy medium for distance covered. Maybe was wrong)
Start fuel : 150 gallons (38%)

Finish fuel : 12.55  😬  (3%) lol. 
Total time 1:32

Sorry, not sure average speed. At cruise mostly around 355 kts. 
Clear skies. No wind. standard temps. Low fuel but gambled at 31000 ft which in testing had best TAS, would have low fuel burn.   

I'll post some pics. Need to convert them. No longer have the was once but no longer free photoshop 2 or whatever it was at the time. 

I gave it a red hot go!! No match for that Sea Fury monster but I got as close as I could. 

6 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Find the best Mexican Restaurant, the best Burger joint, and the best Ramen shop in Town.

Please post your Results... 😁

Oh my ... I'm the wrong one to task with that job.  I asked the kid at the FBO and he suggested Taco Bell, McDonald's and Panda Express ... (NOT)!  A number of years ago the best burger place was in the Shaker Heights neighborhood.  I can't remember the name of the place, but I'll ask around. 

As for the Fury don't bet the farm yet.  That Spitfire is a mover, and the weather to date has paid dividends.  I'm not counting out the Superfortress either.  I've got the feeling that machine may surprise us all.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 12:59 AM, ViperPilot2 said:

Since taoftedal also posted his Times as 'competition' Times, you can log your first two Times as Competition also, and continue from there... is that acceptable?

Very much so. Thank you!

On 10/2/2023 at 12:59 AM, ViperPilot2 said:

It may seem that the 'Rules' appear to pretty loosey goosey, and to be honest, they are.

That's how I like them -- anything that might cause confusion being up for mutual approval makes the comp feel just like a bunch of mates having a bit of fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JSMR said:

First leg in! 

SMO-CEZ

Start : 0830 Local

Finish : 11:02 Local

Height 31000 😮
Power settings :

Take off & climb : 61 / 3000 which has max available for 15 mins (will post placard pic and its in the real manual 😜)

Crz : 46 / 2700  (Max Continuous) 

Climb speed : 210-220 mph (faster then recommended but seemed to be a happy medium for distance covered. Maybe was wrong)
Start fuel : 150 gallons (38%)

Finish fuel : 12.55  😬  (3%) lol. 
Total time 1:32

Spot on with the fuel calculation! I thought I did well over to Hill City.

“Who on earth are they?”

“That's the Squitts Porridge Oats team” I piped up: “Our sponsors”.

In front of the Spitfire two guys in full Scottish dress, one with bagpipes, had stretched a banner out. On it was the Squitts logo and in large bold type: Squitts Porridge Oats. The photographer snapping away saw us approaching: “lets get some with the pilot in the plane, that'll look great”

John looked at me for approval, I nodded, but not sure it was going to add much if anything. Still he could always be photoshopped out later.

Happy with the shoot the photographer, Squitts Marketing Manager and the two Scottish dressed Mexicans departed.

“Let's get this plane in the air, I have a good feeling about today!”

Suzanne looked at me as if I was crazy:”You never told us about the sponsor.”

“Wanted you and Ash Face to...Ow! That hurt! Sorry, you and John, to concentrate on the task at hand. Look at John now, almost smiling cos the photographer described him as great. In that state he'll probably forget half the briefing.

1Herooftheday.thumb.jpg.acee08bea5e34ac643b5a0f3441da85e.jpg

Anyway I'll explain about Squitts as we follow on to Kansas in the crate.”

“Spit's’s fuelled and ready, flight plan is loaded, all is working as it should.” Suzanne smiled and gave the thumbs up.

I stretched up to John: “Remember only start descending AFTER Pueblo, that's about half way, if the wind is not a help climb back up to 20,000. And keep ABOVE the mountains before Pueblo.”

WheelsupCortez.thumb.jpg.257c865e5d909dd71b11a31b85e79952.jpg

Cortezwheelsuptime.jpg.a59a432bc9e0cfcf5946e8aed934f165.jpg

“OK he's on his way. Is all your junk stowed in the Queen?”

“Yes” she smiled. Her work done till meeting up with John later in Hill City.

“You going to pilot?”

“Ok she replied.”

GoodbyCortez.thumb.jpg.773cce4a0c5ed6f3ed4533693430f96d.jpg

Goodbye Cortez.

“Where do you think John will be now?”

“Look in my flight bag. I prepared an expected rough time sheet for him.” She nodded to her bag behind the pilots' seat.

John felt at home in the air, alone. A navigator would be company but he's not sure he would appreciate it.

Leg2cloudsbuildingwindgood.thumb.jpg.faadb0e2ad2ca0446f8505650cec529e.jpg

Snowonthemountains.thumb.jpg.8a3b736ba618df71279749605f49d4af.jpg

Leg2lesscloudmoreturbulance.thumb.jpg.2c728781b781fabe41f63365763801d5.jpg

Suzanne and I had been silent for the last twenty minutes as I left her to concentrate on guiding the Queen through the mountains without climbing above 8500'.

“You remembered I suffer from altitude headache at much over our current altitude. I'm flattered.”

“You're paying for this holiday, I have to keep you happy.” she replied.

“Well actually I set up a charity to fund it.”

“A charity? How does that work? I thought you were paying John and me directly.”

“You haven't looked at the pay slips e-mailed to you, have you?”

Suzanne looked at me for a second: “I check the money is in my account, that's good enough for me. So I'm a charity worker now.”

“Well not exactly.” I replied. “You're a contractor working for Golden Aviation Consultancy. The Consultancy is providing aviation staff to the charity.”

So how is the charity making money?”

That's where Squitts Porridge Oats comes in. They think it's a great basis for their American advertising campaign. “Squitts loves America and America loves Squitts” With pictures and film of the Spitfire in the American towns and cities we are visiting. We have agreed a substantial sum if we come first on a downward scale for other placings. Of course the charity has to pay it's expenses but any surplus we distribute to needy aged aviators, Military or civilian.”

And I take it you own that Golden Consultancy company? It sounds similar to the Golden Freight Forwarding company you own”

Actually I don't own either company. I am a director of both, but only have a small shareholding.”

So who is the big cheese?” She asked while negotiating her way between clouds and hard looking mountain sides.

The majority shareholder in both is Golden Aviation Holdings, based in Jersey.” I answered.

And you are the Managing Director or CEO of the holding company?”

Actually no, again I am a director, but the majority shareholder is a trust fund based in the British Virgin Islands.”

You are something else! I've lost track of who is paying for what.”

According to your time sheet John should be approaching Pueblo by now”

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ScottishMike said:

Actually I don't own either company. I am a director of both, but only have a small shareholding.”

And you are the Managing Director or CEO of the holding company?”

Actually no, again I am a director, but the majority shareholder is a trust fund based in the British Virgin Islands.”

You are something else! I've lost track of who is paying for what.”

I think there's a job waiting for Mike in Washington DC after the race!  😎

First Competition Leg complete!

Aircraft: F-5E Photo Lightning (Copley P-38J)

Takeoff from KSMO: 0655 PDT

Wheels Stop @ KCEZ: 0937 PDT

Elapsed Time: 1:42

Distance: 519 nm

Altitude: 15,500' (FL150)

Power Settings:

Climb to Altitude: 40# MP/2900 RPM

Cruise: 40# MP/2900 RPM

Fuel Remaining: 24%

fsscr029.jpg

fsscr030.jpg

fsscr031.jpg

Took the CEZ Courtesy Car to Mancos, where I found a tasty Navajo Taco, an Enchilada Plate and a big glass of Iced Tea to wash it down with...

• Like 1

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

It just appeared out of a cloud, coming from the south, crossing his track just 2000' below to disappear again in more cloud as it headed north.

DehavilandCometat17000ft.jpg.09e477d5f9beac57cdbe1e1fb1c683b3.jpg

A De Havilland DH-88 Comet. (https://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/aircraft/de-havilland-dh88-comet-racer/) John had never seen one in flight before. Yet there it was; passing just 2000' below him, another racer even older than the Spitfire.

It must be a sign, an omen, it had to mean something. What were the chances of two vintage racers crossing paths like that? What was it trying to tell him?

John put his hand on the bulkhead, felt the vibrations from the Griffon. Glanced at the instruments:

Engineleg2.jpg.799db4cd6da12e7ddfe4cd3bc27a52d7.jpg

The Griffons' confident growl more like an anguished cry. RPM needle bouncing of maximum at 2500 RPM, manifold pressure almost 70. Surprisingly temperatures OK.

He would do this no more! He didn't care what Mike or anyone said, he was not going to rip the hart out of this bird. He gradually reduced throttle and propeller pitch till RPM was below the red line around 2050 RPM Manifold pressure dropped to around 50. temperatures only dropped slightly. The fuel and oil quantity gauges didn't work properly anyway.

Reasonablevalues(Pueblo).jpg.5fd2eb6ccdfd9260716ed9b461dbb240.jpg

With the tail wind he had been cruising at around 430 kts, it dropped to 373 kts.

He didn't mind, in fact he felt good, better than he had in months.

AshFaceathisfinest.thumb.jpg.3300468d2c77ba3d965d6894a04a8430.jpg

Halfway(Pueblo)time.jpg.f6c5ddea5821d4c64f9fb03e93a771a3.jpg

Ash Face at his finest over Pueblo and half way time check.

Abouttohitkansas.thumb.jpg.c40d27b9d69ce4fd41214268bdd921e9.jpg

Heading for Kansas, and as if by divine intervention tail wind increased to around 53 kts.

Maybe his reward for treating this old lady kindly. Around 100 n.m. to run. Cruising around 370 kts.

DivingforHillCity.thumb.jpg.c91ca7cb9ba254104b603295167235c8.jpg

Diving for Hill City

Rwyahead.thumb.jpg.759b360693a605ea13605347ff057209.jpg

Runway in sight

HillCityparked2.thumb.jpg.8d39a4804d63abf03db5575e26990846.jpg

Parked at Hill City and final time check.ArrivalHillCity.jpg.b1607e1952dde9bd537591323602082f.jpg

He calculated the time: 1 hour 13 minutes and 2 seconds. Not too shabby and he felt good inside, better than he had for a long time.

He could relax, at least till the Queen arrived. He wondered what Mike's reaction would be to keeping to a more reasonable speed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JSMR said:

Total time 1:18

That looks like a gauntlet that you just dropped; would you like me to pick it up? I'm praying for better weather on the run over to Ft. Madison.

28 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

tail wind increased to around 53 kts.

But this is too much to hope for!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ScottishMike said:

He calculated the time: 1 hour 13 minutes and 2 seconds. Not too shabby and he felt good inside, better than he had for a long time.

Fantastic Team Scotland!  May the weather gods continue to be with you ... and with us all. 🤞

• Like 1