How about a simple Challenge Flight for us Niners?

ViperPilot2

On 9/27/2023 at 1:49 PM, taoftedal said:

(It appears the additional altitude coupled with the shorter distance may have actually cost me a minute or two).

Fury_3.jpg.b9b33c153ef65bba3f02f22b0e14244a.jpg

A number of years ago I did extensive testing of the Sea Fury for the Around the World Race. What we found was the model was as fast at tree top level as it is at Critical Altitude. With that in mind there really isn't a need to go any higher than clearing obstacles. Try that in your flight tests and see how it fairs. It saves the climb to altitude.

• Like 1

There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

My entry is going to be a little off the beaten path. I am flying in the Heavy Iron class.

Tom Kohler's (Gnoopy) Boeing B-29 in Morton's Hellon Wings repaint

Model available at AVSIM.net search the library for Tom Kohler in the username in the Extended Search mode.

For the repaint search for my username at the Sim-Outhouse.com

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=search&tabid=446

I did a test flight (take off only) and found I can get it off the ground at KSMO just barely. You shoot off the end of the cliff heading for the Pacific Ocean with no climb rate. Once you are clear the ground the gear comes up and start raising the flaps to increase the speed before you climb. If there were any obstacles at the end of the runway you would never clear them. 

The intent was to start the flight this morning and try to run it all in one flight KMSO to KCLE. FS9 has other ideas. I started it this morning and it CTD every time. Looks like I have to do the

shutdown /s

trick to see if I need to take out the trash.  For me that usually fixes weird program issues.

I can't do the reboot trick until my MSFS 2020 update finishes downloading and installing which will be a few hours. That kills the flight for today.

Note I don't have a Real World Weather engine for FS9 so I will use the default weather theme Building Cold Fronts.

I know the original race started at noon but I will start at the crack of dawn to fly as much in day light as I can.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 - A Century of Flight 9_28_2023 04_19_18 PM.jpg

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 - A Century of Flight 9_28_2023 04_44_39 PM.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dangerousdave26 said:

The intent was to start the flight this morning and try to run it all in one flight KMSO to KCLE. FS9 has other ideas. I started it this morning and it CTD every time.

I can't do the reboot trick until my MSFS 2020 update finishes downloading and installing which will be a few hours.

Welcome to the race!

I hope you get the CTD sorted and that the updates complete soon -- I was really looking forward to someone entering with a bigger plane.

From my perspective, you may get better screenshots if you fly one leg at a time (possibly with runway extensions?) but I'd love to see your flight time for a one-stage end to end.

I think most of us are using 'clear all weather' but being masochistic, I chose weather for the calendar date of the 1948 race. The cold front theme will give beautiful skies.

D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, defaid said:

Causing trouble again? How many go-arounds in one shot?

Lol, I had just appeared on the runway to check the paint job on that Bristol, been there maybe ten seconds.

That shot was taken years ago (1024x768), but Seattle still hosts this race, caught this recently

ai2.thumb.jpg.d0a20a58e1fa5293292b2b49424506ba.jpg

2 hours ago, Dangerousdave26 said:

A number of years ago I did extensive testing of the Sea Fury for the Around the World Race. What we found was the model was as fast at tree top level as it is at Critical Altitude. With that in mind there really isn't a need to go any higher than clearing obstacles. Try that in your flight tests and see how it fairs. It saves the climb to altitude.

How did altitude effect fuel flow?  Noticed that at the same power setting there was a gain of 7kts (GS) from 15,000 to 17,500.  I'll do some testing and see what I discover.  Thanks!

• Like 1

We sat round the terrace table, the sun setting over the ocean, the golden glow diffused by the LA haze. Papers scattered on the table, facts and figures dissecting the second day of testing.

“Well done Ash” I patted his shoulder; he had done all we asked of him.

Suzanne and I had analysed the figures. Ash was a great pilot but not the sharpest blade in the prop.

We had tested on a timed run from Santa Monica to Monterey and back.

We had started with 100% fuel. Ash climbed the plane to 20,000' (It used 6% fuel to get there, it was not a maximum rate climb but not too gradual either) then when at 20,000' turned to fly back over KSMO heading for Monterey. We started the clock when overhead KSMO.

The straight line distance KSMO to KMRY (Monterey) and back was measured at 490 n.m.

Ash sipped his beer relaxing after the stressful flight. “Spanner eyes” Suzanne enjoying her Pina Colada satisfied with the aircraft's performance, in no small part down to her skills.

Fuel consumption had been a concern, however the test flight was completed with 24% fuel remaining (490 n.m plus the initial climb out and up, estimated at an additional 40 n.m.).

test2runtoM.thumb.jpg.cb077757eeb3cb90450779fd27ecf87d.jpg

“Not bad eh?” Suzanne said “Some 530 n.m. At full speed and 24% fuel remaining . The longest leg of the race is 519 n.m. My tank could take another Colada.”

“I'm off to bed. Big day tomorrow” Ash left the bar terrace and ambled off towards his room.

“Fuel is OK but our average speed is not good, from these figures it averages out at only 220 Kts. How can an aircraft fly at a steady 379 Kts and only average out at 220? The figures don't even include the take off and climb to 20,000'.”

Suzanne took a large sip of her Pina Colada “Mike, John was flustered, and please stop calling him Ash, do you think he's not aware of his lost bmp? Now he might lose his licence as well.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked dumbfounded

“John didn't want to tell you. You can be quite intimidating. He decided to climb out on a left circle, so he would be over KSMO at altitude and heading north towards Monterey. He forgot turning left after departing Rwy 21 would take him right over LAX.

Air traffic got a little irate, there was some radio chatter about a report going to the FAA. John said it was difficult to make out as two or three heavies were on the radio as well, not happy having to do non-standard go a rounds to avoid him and each other. After that John's time keeping might have been a little less than accurate”.

“That settles it! We go tomorrow before any action can be taken.”

“OK, ready when you are.” She replied.

Diving curved final for KSMO:

Test2diveforKMSO.thumb.jpg.42f8dfd9068ac1480db2ade8a6cbf7a1.jpg

“What about navigation? Did you know John got lost yesterday, he couldn't find Santa Monica on the map or GPS, it took him several minutes to realise he had overshot L.A. and was in fact over San Diego.”

Suzanne replied: “I thought he was late returning but was busy with other stuff so didn't really notice. Navigation equipment fitted is good and bad. A GPS is fitted as well as a reasonable radio stack. But we have no form of direction finding equipment, but distance measuring is there. The GPS is stand alone, there is no GPS/NAV switch available. The autopilot is antiquated but serviceable. I thought we could plot a track for him on the GPS, he'll have to follow it manually but he should manage.”

Navdials.thumb.jpg.88648ce9aa59c8fede881e1901611da2.jpg

“What about weather?” I asked.

“Very much up to you, you're the boss. You can go calm and clear out of the box or chance your arm with real weather, we might get a tail wind to help or a nasty head wind. But in the spirit of things you decide first. No looking at real weather first and if it doesn't suit going for clear and calm out of the box. OK?”

I reluctantly agreed. North America, prevailing winds Westerly.

“OK, we take a chance and go with real weather!”.

• Like 2

A hearty welcome to @Dangerousdave66 from SOH! Glad to see you and your Superfortress here!

Wish we could get some folks from AVSIM to participate, but so far... crickets and a lone troll. 😐

Run whatever Wx Theme that suits you, or what you have in your Sim. My WiFi on this Laptop is not very reliable, so I run with some Wx Themes I found in the File Library.

Seems some of us chose a Dawn takeoff from KSMO... again, whatever Time you want to Start is wide open. If you want to use the Historical Start Time of 1200, that's fine, too.

I think this is the time to ask everyone a question... How does everyone feel right now about the Event as a whole? Everyone comfortable with the Format, and the 'Rules'? Is there anything we should add or alter to make the deal easier, smoother... harder, perhaps?

So far, my read is to continue with the 'Test Flights' for a little bit just in case you want to change Airplanes, etc., then when everyone's comfortable we can go ahead and start the Competition in earnest.

Chime in, everyone! I'd like to hear your thoughts... 🙂

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

CTD problem went away without the reboot. Go figure.

I have trouble with MSFS 2020 CTD on the first time it starts up. Then there after it works fine. FS9 must just take 2 restarts before it will run.

I also need to do my take off run test again but I think I am in good shape. I took off on the first test without managing the payload section. Turns out it loads up 17,000 lbs over weight. Tom did this because so you had to manage your fuel and payload before a flight. Everything loads up with the maximum allowable weight.

2 hours ago, taoftedal said:

How did altitude effect fuel flow?  Noticed that at the same power setting there was a gain of 7kts (GS) from 15,000 to 17,500.  I'll do some testing and see what I discover.  Thanks!

To my memory it didn't. The reason it didn't is a what I consider a mistake in the airfile. To make an aircraft as fast at sea level as it is at altitude you have to play with the drag at altitude table. You basically make have less drag at lower altitudes to get the performance you need or want. It may have been an accident on this aircraft as you will not normally see that.

Anyway test it out and see what you get.

• Thanks 1

Still worried about that Spitfire.  Seems a professional crew and a private bar may be an unfair advantage.  Keep testing Team Scotland ... the more engine time you put on that clock (and wear) the better (at least for the rest of us)!   I've lost track of the P-51D?  Any updates?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Two good things. Three. Actually there are four good things about it.

Period drama & background stories

New names

The immersion

A good reason for flying a plan with no AP or navaids.

Learning a new plane

Seeing everyone else's planes

And how you all fly

It's a challenge, entertaining in itself but even better in company

The good nature of the organisers and the competitors

Having a purpose that's not self-imposed

The brandy.

• Like 1

Early start, Suzanne preparing the spitfire. I'm briefing John, weather reports are in:Cortezweather.jpg.abc648b457b82610519d5d1a6f2a7af2.jpg

SantaMonicaweather.jpg.6b900a01db8787eae744ad3788de8cd3.jpgCortez Municipal (KCEZ) details:

Cortez1.jpg.0a4c65807991dad67350777fdd27dc8a.jpg

Cortez2.jpg.93115962079239a4fa500d0e7abcc90d.jpg

Ready for departure, 99.9% fuel and flight plan loaded into GPS.

image.jpeg.ab28dcbf2bf7de31c30e04d470ffb18a.jpeg

John is ready to go

Wheels up: 11:06 local (GMT 18:06)

Leg1wheelsup.thumb.jpg.05f7913a7db2bf97b053d79523becbcd.jpg

Climbing out over LA smog:

LAsmog.thumb.jpg.1fde714363d142ae0015a3480a346ab4.jpg

Fog in the San Gabriel Mountains, glad I don't have to land here:

FogSanGabrielMts.thumb.jpg.faa92a80b84d2e806cb87f3870f6ea4b.jpg

Grand canyon and approx. half way (almost exactly 40 mins. elapsed from start:

GrandCanyonhalfway.thumb.jpg.f243fd5e7d39150679243f7328de0f79.jpg

HalfwayGrandC.jpg.638d1ec7bdc715ffc89516fff8245d9d.jpg

Approaching the arid corner of Utah, not too long to run now:

AridcornerofUtah.thumb.jpg.44daff368af935f428cf603ede078a34.jpg

Cortez on final:

Cortezonfinal.thumb.jpg.d52ffb8f2a2e2165d6dbb968789bc9ab.jpg

Total time: 1hr. 24 mins. Distance 519 n.m. Average speed 370.71 Kts.

• Like 1

Fantastic!  Good on you Team Scotland!

I'm doing some flight testing prior to the final leg and finding the model pretty much on the book numbers I found.  Max power (allowed for 5 min) at 17,000 game me 323 KIAS with a GS of 400kts (eating 224+gph).  At 16,000 the same setting game me 326 KIAS with a GS of 398kts.  So, all in all, I think the numbers I’ve flown at max continuous are close.

Fury_3.jpg.35d201c615bec98de2c3ccb2db823c2e.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, taoftedal said:

Still worried about that Spitfire.  Seems a professional crew and a private bar may be an unfair advantage.  Keep testing Team Scotland ... the more engine time you put on that clock (and wear) the better (at least for the rest of us)!   I've lost track of the P-51D?  Any updates?

The P-51 driver has had car problems, a visit to the doctor for the wife for a checkup, and also had to drop the kids off at school.

Which was strange AND a huge waste of time because I don’t even HAVE kids. 
“What…the…hell are you kids doing in my car? Get out ya little snots!”

Anyway, that aside, I’ve been reading with excitement the progress everyone is making while I’m sitting in the doctors waiting room with my Mustang gathering dust. Arrghh. 

But I’m pretty satisfied with the 2 tests I’ve done. She hand flies like a dream. My VOR Nav is pretty accurate. The fuel burn is good. The speed is fantastic at my test altitude at Max Cont. power setting. 

High vs low altitude is my biggest conundrum. High altitude, high TAS, longer time to climb. Lower altitude, lower TAS, but less time wasted climbing. But also higher fuel burn. More fuel needed. More weight. Lose a few MPH in speed. 

Decisions!

Yeah, I want to win. 😄

8 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

I think this is the time to ask everyone a question... How does everyone feel right now about the Event as a whole? Everyone comfortable with the Format, and the 'Rules'? Is there anything we should add or alter to make the deal easier, smoother... harder, perhaps?

So far, my read is to continue with the 'Test Flights' for a little bit just in case you want to change Airplanes, etc., then when everyone's comfortable we can go ahead and start the Competition in earnest.

All good ... 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ViperPilot2 said:

Could you sum up all of the rules in one post. Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I did another test flight today and I can drop to about 65% fuel and still get way past Cleveland.

I took a hole saw and file to the panel and installed a drift meter as well as my favorite fuel consumption gauge. Ok I will not need the fuel gauge but it fit.

CTD is indeed takes 2 failed starts to run and works on the 3rd time. Not worth trying to fix.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jgf said:

Rule 1 - Have fun!

Excellent! This should apply every time you start up your FS.

When in doubt - Refer to Rule 1

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

“OK, guys and gals, team de-brief”.

We congregated in a corner of the Retro Inn.

“Just keep your voices down, I think Defaid and his team are still here.”

The inn had a retro feel to it, dark wood and poor lighting, good Brandy though.

“This place smells like an old man cave, old cigars, stale beer and B.O.” Suzanne added.

Yes, relaxing, I thought, but said nothing.

“OK let's move outside.” We sat at one of the wooden pic-knick tables, sharp clear mountain air a nice change from L.A.

“John, good and bad?” I asked

“Well, it all seems good, the problem is getting more speed. 380 Kts at 20,000' is not bad but the Sea Fury is faster. I am pretty sure I had prop and mixture at optimum. I tried climbing to 22,000' but the speed dropped from 406 Kts to 403”

“You climbed just as the wind dropped, so maybe it was that. Try climbing again on the next leg. Try at 25,000'.” I added.

We had had a tail wind swinging from 200 to 218 degrees at 17 to 19 Kts giving us a cruise up to 406 kts. Around the Nevada border the wind swung round to between 111 and 135 degrees at 10 to 9 Kts. negating some of the gain. As luck (and the Cortez forecast) had it, the wind dropped to zero around the second Colorado crossing.

“Also the autopilot acts strangely” John added “The altitude and vertical climb on the “modern” stack work as they should, but to set heading I have to use the old unit. Suzanne set the bug to 053 degrees before departure, once this heading is in it's not possible to change it. I had to use the grey turn knob to change course. Not too much of a problem if I'm just following the red line on the GPS though.”
“Anything you would like the organisers to change?” I asked.

“It would be nice if they provide a table of who has entered and times and stages completed.” Suzanne added.

“Well, I've tried to keep track, so far I think it's as follows:”

JSMR Mustang P-51D Still testing

TaofTedal Sea Fury Leg one 1hr 22m (Might have completed more as well)

ViperPilot2 F-5E (P-38J) Still testing

Defaid Mosquito Leg one 1hr 36m

JGF P-38 Leg one 2hr 12m

DangerousDave26 B-29 Still testing

and us of course:

ScottishMike Spitfire IVX Leg one 1hr 24m

“Anybody anything else they would like to add?”

silence.

“OK, briefing for the next leg first thing tomorrow morning.”

• Like 2