How about a simple Challenge Flight for us Niners?

ViperPilot2

On 9/25/2023 at 12:17 PM, taoftedal said:

Second leg is in the books.  Again, wheels up at 8:00am (MDT), Touchdown at 10:17am (CDT).  Total Time 1:19.  Average Speed 453nm/1.317hr = 344kts.  Did a little digging and found that 40 inHg/2,400 rpm is pretty close to the max continuous and as such I think I still have an engine.  At altitude (15,000) it gave me a KIAS of 292kts and GS of 355kts.  No problem with lack of fuel on this leg.  (Also, revised my climb and descent profiles on this leg that I think helped the averages). 

Again, great scenery along the route, until I hit eastern Colorado.  (Here's my attempt at a screen shot before leaving KCEZ).  Next stop ... Iowa.

Fury_1.jpg.1051309d468a95f581a24c764a6afb19.jpg

Hot damn that Sea Fury looks like a beast. The one to beat!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, defaid said:

Time for a brandy and a cigar. I suppose we could have got there a little earlier but there's always such a temptation to play. 🙂

Stats:

Wheels up 1855Z

Touch down 2031Z

Flight time 1 hour 36 minutes

Navigator's estimated time 1 hour 31 minutes

Nice! Hope your Navigator also got to enjoy the brandy and cigar? 🤭

We have some competition here! My P-51 time is looking shaky! Although I did run some pretty conservative settings. 
Another test was done at Military Power (same as max-take off power) which can be held for 15 mins. Then tested at Max Continuous.
The model I'm using is VERY realistic as far as speeds, cimb rates etc. So I was excited by the test run at the race settings I will use. 

I'm getting edgy. The rum has come out to calm some nerves. 🤕 😂

• Like 1

Cortez

4 September 1948

Dear Sirs,

re. Bendix Trophy rules of competition

Your original stipulation was "fly as it comes 'out of the box'". That implies that if an aircraft has no navigation equipment then it should be flown with no navigation equipment. With extraneous aids and prior practice flights, the race becomes no more than a comparison of FDEs.

Concerning the sim rate, altering it has no effect whatsoever on aircraft performance or on flight time. The only thing it changes is how long one sits in front of a real-world PC.

A 96 minute flight at 1× remains a 96 minute flight at 2× or 4×.

It is clear that you have never made use of the utility. We strongly believe that your understanding will benefit greatly by your making a short test flight, twice over the same course with the same aircraft settings. Making one flight at normal sim rate and one at 2× will allow you to compare the logged FS flight times.

Our 96 minute flight, even with an increased sim rate, had us at the PC for over three hours, and for the navigation very much longer in the planning.

We are not in a position to devote longer to each leg of the race so, if your rule stands, then with regret we are compelled to offer to withdraw our entry.

Your faithful servants,

defaid

defaid junior

• Like 1

For the record... if Time Compression does not alter the Elapsed Time of your Flight, then I have no problem with its use.

My whole motivation with this entire Challenge was to gather a group of like minded Individuals together in a Format which would offer a bit of 'competition', a bit of Flight Planning, and over a Route that had some History to it. I didn't want to start putting in a bunch of stipulations that would have been applicable to a Real Word scenario, but possibly make it intimidating and therefore not enjoyable to someone who is a new Simmer.

Just wanted to try and stir up some camaraderie and have some fun. If you feel that the Challenge isn't realistic or too restricting because of the Rules I've laid down, I respect and appreciate your opinions, and sincerely apologize. 

@defaid I would really like it if you chose to stay around, and continue flying with us. 🙂

• Thanks 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 hour ago, ViperPilot2 said:

if Time Compression does not alter the Elapsed Time of your Flight,

Accelerating time does not alter the clock, at least up to x16 or so;  I hear beyond that there can be issues (mainly with AP or other automated systems).  As a test, watch the clock or timer on the panel, it will speed up to match the accelerated time.

We decided to enter the race. Probably the only Scottish entry.

Not an easy decision, so many problems to overcome; would the aircraft be ready?

Would the pilot, John “ash face” Johnson be capable? (His loss of colour relates to a sorry tale of unrequited love, too long and sad to tell here).

Would our chief mechanic, the beautiful “spanner eyes” Suzanne agree to come to the USA and support us in this crazy venture? She had had a bad experience in the past that gave rise to her nickname. An American visitor to Scotland met her at Aberdeen airport were she worked; he was visiting a golf course he claimed to own, the man swore that on looking in her eyes his nuts tightened.

Unfortunately his internal torque wrench was faulty and his nuts stripped.

But enough of the background, Spanner Eyes and Ash Face are both here in Santa Monica and the beast has been rolled out of the hanger for its' first check over:

Spit1KSMO.thumb.jpg.4ae11745256352cc68196ad2e1475312.jpg

First running of the engine on USA soil, all seems to be working OK

Spitstart2.thumb.jpg.d8de96863eac4e8855b788aad831b638.jpg

Checking the instruments, all looks good!

Spitcockpit2.thumb.jpg.dd1c195767d7b395084818dc07228981.jpg

Some notes on the aircraft from A.F. Scrub that great restorer of WWII aircraft and one of Suzanne's heroes (I can't imagine his torque wrench ever being faulty).

FSX/Fs2004 Spitfire Mk XIV clipped

Type info:

The Mk XIV was the most important of the Griffon powered Spitfires, and the only one to see significant wartime service. It used the two-speed two-stage supercharged Griffon 61 or 65, giving 2,050 hp and a significantly improved performance at higher altitudes when compared to the earlier Griffon powered Mk XII. The Mk XIV was based on the Mk VIII fuselage, already strengthened to cope with the Merlin 61 engine. Early models used the “c” type universal wing (four 20mm cannon or two 20mm cannon and four .303in machine guns), while later production used the “e” wing (two .50in machine guns instead of the .303s).

The Griffon engine improved the performance of the Spitfire at all heights. Tests in early 1944 found it to be faster than the Mk IX at every altitude, with the best rate of climb yet seen. The only area not to see any improvement was manoeuvrability, which did not rely on the engine but on the airframe. It had a similar advantage over the Fw 190A, which had a similar performance to the Mk IX. The only problem posed by the Griffon was that it span in the opposite direction to the Merlin. Merlin powered Spitfires had tended to veer left on takeoff. The Mk XIV veered to the right instead.

The superior performance of the Mk XIV made it the ideal aircraft to deal with the menace of the V-1. No.91 Squadron, based at West Malling, ended up with the best record against the flying bomb, shooting down 184 with its Mk XIVs. The "Universal" wing allowed to install the four cannons, or two 20-mm cannon and two 12.7-mm Browning machine guns.

In total more than 900 fighters"Spitfire " Mk XIV were built. After WW2, Mk XIV were flown by many countries into the early fifties.

I'll keep you posted on the progress (or not) of team Scotland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Third leg complete.  Wheels up at 9:00am (CDT), Touchdown at 10:11am (CDT).  Total Time 1:11.  Average Speed 399nm/1.183hr = 337kts.  Climbed out at 40 inHg/2,400 rpm (normal climb setting) at 2,500 fpm to a cruise altitude of 17,500.  17,500 gave me a KIAS of 286kts but a GS of 362kts.  (It appears the additional altitude coupled with the shorter distance may have actually cost me a minute or two).

9 minutes out I set up a descent profile of 2,500 fpm and tried to maintained my ground speed of 360kts (+/-) to the pattern.  It takes a mile or two  at 360kts to get the machine slowed down and set-up an approach but, we made it.  And as the song says ... ‘You really ought to give Iowa,  a try!’ ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7lFbUVS9WM

Fury_3.jpg.b9b33c153ef65bba3f02f22b0e14244a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ScottishMike said:

We decided to enter the race. Probably the only Scottish entry.

Not an easy decision, so many problems to overcome; would the aircraft be ready?

Would the pilot, John “ash face” Johnson be capable? (His loss of colour relates to a sorry tale of unrequited love, too long and sad to tell here).

Would our chief mechanic, the beautiful “spanner eyes” Suzanne agree to come to the USA and support us in this crazy venture? She had had a bad experience in the past that gave rise to her nickname. An American visitor to Scotland met her at Aberdeen airport were she worked; he was visiting a golf course he claimed to own, the man swore that on looking in her eyes his nuts tightened.

Unfortunately his internal torque wrench was faulty and his nuts stripped.

But enough of the background, Spanner Eyes and Ash Face are both here in Santa Monica and the beast has been rolled out of the hanger for its' first check over:

Spit1KSMO.thumb.jpg.4ae11745256352cc68196ad2e1475312.jpg

Haha love it! That’s gold. 👌🏼

What a beast! My heart sinks further knowing I’m up against some tough competition. I might be bringing up the rear. 🤓

2 minutes ago, JSMR said:

Haha love it! That’s gold. 👌🏼

What a beast! My heart sinks further knowing I’m up against some tough competition. I might be bringing up the rear. 🤓

Oh, I don't think so... 😋

• Haha 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

39 minutes ago, taoftedal said:

Third leg complete.  Wheels up at 9:00am (CDT), Touchdown at 10:11am (CDT).  Total Time 1:11.  Average Speed 399nm/1.183hr = 337kts.  Climbed out at 40 inHg/2,400 rpm (normal climb setting) at 2,500 fpm to a cruise altitude of 17,500.  17,500 gave me a KIAS of 286kts but a GS of 362kts.  (It appears the additional altitude coupled with the shorter distance may have actually cost me a minute or two).

Nice! Some good times. Run it as hard as you can! 🙂

Since I found some real charts for mine, I just wanted to see how accurate it was. And compare it the real thing. 

Retro Inn, Cortez

4 September 1948

Dear Sirs,

It was with delight that we read your reply to our earlier letter and, after a brief discussion, agreed to continue competing. We gratefully accept your invitation.

We remain

Your faithful servants,

defaid

defaid junior

• Like 2

This afternoon was the first test flight. Not the best time for Ash Face to admit this was the first time he had flown the aircraft. Still nothing I could do about it now. Upwards and onwards.

The test revealed good and bad, at 8000' the max ground speed appeared to be around 338 kts, at 20,000' 377 Kts and 25,000' 379 Kts so not as fast as I expected.

Mixture control was critical to get best GS (Ground Speed).

On the positive side, handling was excellent, almost docile, first landing was only a three bouncer, with practice this will improve.

On the bad side on a second climb to 25,000' the plane suddenly stalled and went into a spin, I only regained control at around 9,000' after going through the red mist a couple of times. I will have to investigate to see what went wrong. Probably a too steep climb, at lower altitude the rate of climb is remarkable around 3000' / minute maintaining a GS of over 300 Kts. At the time I was at 4* simulation speed so was climbing rapidly. I suspect as one reaches around 18,000' to 20,000' one has to reduce the rate of climb rapidly (this I had not done.).

More testing tomorrow, I suspect better management of the prop control could give further speed improvements. I also need to measure fuel consumption with precision, initial indications are that this is not too bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, defaid said:

Retro Inn, Cortez

4 September 1948

Dear Sirs,

It was with delight that we read your reply to our earlier letter and, after a brief discussion, agreed to continue competing. We gratefully accept your invitation.

We remain

Your faithful servants,

defaid

defaid junior

I'm very glad you decided to stay, @defaid! I greatly value your insights and your participation.

• Like 1

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I am absolutely enjoying following the endeavors of these intrepid Niners.

Glad to see such enthusiasm and shared support. 

• Like 3

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

First leg. 

Got an early start, was "dark as the inside of my sombrero".

start.jpg.1ace0fcaf9d2886e582cfac15b995e91.jpg

Sunrise at 16k ft;  33mp, 2300rpm, showing 286kt gs. 

sunrise2.jpg.08d124cce50091780ba3bcd84eca7239.jpg

30 minutes to go

30min_to_go.jpg.365e0f4d63347d61d980196842353456.jpg

gusting winds almost made me go around

approach.jpg.b98d278e3ea3d16acda52d540f89cf84.jpg

2 hrs 12 min;  Sapphire's first cross country flight, 32% fuel remaining

done.jpg.761acac97ed0d8745f45628ee98f5095.jpg

• Like 4

My dear fellow! Welcome to Cortez.

Yes, we are still here. The Retro does a wonderful breakfast and there's still half a bottle of brandy somewhere nearby.

May I point out that FS9 begins logging flight time at the moment you enter the cockpit and stops the clock some time after shut-down? Your flight will have been somewhat faster if measured from wheels-up to touchdown.

D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, defaid said:

May I point out that FS9 begins logging flight time at the moment you enter the cockpit and stops the clock some time after shut-down? Your flight will have been somewhat faster if measured from wheels-up to touchdown.

I was about twenty minutes into the flight before it dawned on me I'd forgotten to start the timer (they say as you age you forget names, then you forget faces, then you forget to pull up your zipper, then you forget to pull down your zipper).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jgf said:

I was about twenty minutes into the flight before it dawned on me I'd forgotten to start the timer (they say as you age you forget names, then you forget faces, then you forget to pull up your zipper, then you forget to pull down your zipper).

I had to stick a "TIME" sticker on my Laptop reminding me to turn the Timer on! 😋

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG