How about a simple Challenge Flight for us Niners?

ViperPilot2

Howdy!

Had an idea about a re-creation of the Bendix Trophy race from Santa Monica Airport (KSMO) to Cleveland (KCLE) that was run from the 30's until the early 60's. Wanted to focus on the period from '46 to '49, immediately after the War and a time when all of the hot fighter planes were being sold as Surplus except for a few Navy planes. P-38 Lightnings and P-51 Mustangs were the most common types, and Mustangs won the Trophy in all the races during the period.

For the purposes of the 'challenge' and to make it somewhat realistic, the Rules would be simple; fly a predetermined Route with mandatory Fuel stops, the fastest time wins, and in an attempt to make this fair, EVERYTHING'S on the Honor System.

Pick any WW II propeller driven Warbird, even a Prototype (e.g. Martin Baker MB.5). Freeware or Payware (if you have it). Fly it as it comes

'out of the box'; no modifying FDE's. Country of Manufacture doesn't matter. It'd be nice to see some variety, but if it's all US airplanes that's okay too. Oh, and even though they were in service at the time, Corsairs, Bearcats and Tigercats would be welcome, as would Hellcats.

For the moment... no Jets. Not yet.

Just putting this out there to maybe drum up some camaraderie, friendly competition and a little fun between us Niners.

So... what do you think? Any interest? I'd like to hear your Comments.

• Haha 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Sounds fun! Let me find a cool P-51. The hot rod of the skies. 😎
Online / offline? 

I want to to the UK to Australia race from the 20's or early 30's era as well. But lets start small.  😄

Eventually....my plan is to fly the Oakland - Hawaii - Fiji - Brisbane route in the Southern Cross. If my wife will let me sit there for 30+ hours at a time. 🤔🤪

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JSMR said:

Sounds fun! Let me find a cool P-51. The hot rod of the skies. 😎
Online / offline? 

I want to to the UK to Australia race from the 20's or early 30's era as well. But lets start small.  😄

Eventually....my plan is to fly the Oakland - Hawaii - Fiji - Brisbane route in the Southern Cross. If my wife will let me sit there for 30+ hours at a time. 🤔🤪

Offline. Do it on your own schedule. However, it would be best if the Flight was non stop in keeping with tradition.

Maybe for the purposes of this exercise it would be better to fly it leg to leg, to make it easy on everyone?

I have come up with a basic Route:

KSMO - KCEZ 053° 519 nm

KCEZ - KHLC  062°.453 nm

KHLC - KFSW 072° 399 nm

KFSW - KCLE 082° 432 nm

Of course, we'd post a screenie or two for each Leg, and talk about the experience.

Thoughts? 🙂

Oh yeah... I have a real hankering for long distance Flights, whether it be the MacRobertson or the Double Sunrise Flights. I have a bevy of vintage aircraft in the Hangar all ready to go. 😋

• Like 1

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Yeah sounds good. 
Multi leg would work for most. 

Maybe we could all nominate the aircraft being used before hand?
Perhaps show the download link (if still available from a previous download) of it so there’s no funny business going on with cfg tweaks etc etc?

Also a default weather chosen to make it fair and equal?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSMR said:

Yeah sounds good. 
Multi leg would work for most. 

Maybe we could all nominate the aircraft being used before hand?
Perhaps show the download link (if still available from a previous download) of it so there’s no funny business going on with cfg tweaks etc etc?

Also a default weather chosen to make it fair and equal?

An empathic 'Yes' to all! We should show our hand before this thing ever starts, so folks can get ideas about what to fly. Test Flights are also welcomed, so we can learn from each other. If Download links are available, by all means post them. I have Wx 'themes' installed for FS9; my WiFi is wonky so RT Wx doesn't work for me.

Much to hash out; I'm mainly planting the Seed and watering it a bit. Spread the Word! 😀

1 hour ago, JSMR said:

• Thanks 1

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

1 hour ago, JSMR said:

Come on...where is everyone?!! 

Right here... heh heh! 😀

Plotting out the NAV points for the 1st Leg... haven't decided on the Airplane yet, but leaning towards either the P-38 or F7F. Will try a Flight this evening and post it up. 🫠

• Like 1

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

3 hours ago, taoftedal said:

Would the Hawker Sea Fury qualify or is it just a little too late?

Technically, it entered service after the War. However, because I ok'd the MB.5 I will allow it. Bring it on, @taoftedal🙂

By the by... give us some 411 here; Payware or Freeware? Download Link?

Just remember... Stock, "Out of the Box'. No modified FDE's.

• Like 1

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I think I may enter with Just Flight /Aeroplane Heaven's Mosquito.

It's a couple of years since I used anything other than a C-130 and a SF.260 so out of the box will be a challenge in itself -- I'm not accustomed to the ancient radio stack, the ADF tuner or the absence of GPS. Or autopilot...

Still, t's a lovely model (and possibly my favourite RW plane) and might give some good screenshots, especially if I fly at rooftop height.

Are we having weather too? I only have offline metars covering every six hours throughout 2011 so could choose an appropriate day & time but heaven help me if the destination has zero visibility...

D

• Like 1

14 hours ago, defaid said:

I think I may enter with Just Flight /Aeroplane Heaven's Mosquito.

It's a couple of years since I used anything other than a C-130 and a SF.260 so out of the box will be a challenge in itself -- I'm not accustomed to the ancient radio stack, the ADF tuner or the absence of GPS. Or autopilot...

Still, t's a lovely model (and possibly my favourite RW plane) and might give some good screenshots, especially if I fly at rooftop height.

Are we having weather too? I only have offline metars covering every six hours throughout 2011 so could choose an appropriate day & time but heaven help me if the destination has zero visibility...

D

Fly whatever Wx you want or have access to. You might have the Public complain about flying at tree top level, but I don't have an issue with it.

See how easy this is, Folks? There aren't many Restrictions because this is supposed to be FUN. Just trying to create a friendly atmosphere and a little competition.

Why not take a break from your regular flying and play around a bit, eh? 🙂

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

6 hours ago, taoftedal said:

Hawker Sea Fury (SFREL1.ZIP) here in the 2004 Warbirds downloads section ... or I could maybe find a Focke-Wulf Fw 190?

Awesome! Glad to have you aboard. If you have any questions fire away. 

That goes for everyone else, and my Thanks to all of you for showing interest! 🙂

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I may start this weekend but in truth, I really do have a lot to learn before racing. Meanwhile, here's Jesse Stallings' Miss Marta from the 1948 race, named after his daughter. Overall white with red trim: I just have to find a paintkit now.

Incidentally, I aim to do better than fifth place 😉

missmarta.jpg.564c340de98a588a50e7a4d8b0f55513.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, defaid said:

I may start this weekend but in truth, I really do have a lot to learn before racing. Meanwhile, here's Jesse Stallings' Miss Marta from the 1948 race, named after his daughter. Overall white with red trim: I just have to find a paintkit now.

Incidentally, I aim to do better than fifth place 😉

missmarta.jpg.564c340de98a588a50e7a4d8b0f55513.jpg

Looks like a Winner! Welcome Aboard! 🙂

Either Win or Lose... it's all about having fun!

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Hey @jgf... Tell me about the US Trip you posted! What kind of airplane did you fly for this back in '05? It really looks interesting and fun! 🙂

• Like 1

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG