Autopilot will not Navigate.

I quit flying MSFS in March hoping this bug would be fixed. I tried it today and it is still the same. I engage the Autopilot and press NAV and it refuses to follow the magenta line. 

MadMav24

Omen 45L - Intel i9-12900K W/Liquid Cooler - 64Gb DDR4-3733MHz Heatsink RAM - GeForce RTX3080 - ATX 800W 80+ Gold PSU - 1x2 TB WD Black M.2 SSD. - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit- Logitech Pro Flight Rudder Pedals- TrackIR v5 - Sony 4K 75" TV Monitor - Modified Obutto OZone Cockpit.

9 hours ago, MadMav24 said:

I quit flying MSFS in March hoping this bug would be fixed. I tried it today and it is still the same. I engage the Autopilot and press NAV and it refuses to follow the magenta line. 

MadMav24

Which aircraft is this happening with?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

3 hours ago, tiger1962 said:

Which aircraft is this happening with?

Every plane I fly. The G58, Cessna 182 with the G1000.

MadMav24

Omen 45L - Intel i9-12900K W/Liquid Cooler - 64Gb DDR4-3733MHz Heatsink RAM - GeForce RTX3080 - ATX 800W 80+ Gold PSU - 1x2 TB WD Black M.2 SSD. - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit- Logitech Pro Flight Rudder Pedals- TrackIR v5 - Sony 4K 75" TV Monitor - Modified Obutto OZone Cockpit.

Silly question: Have you switched the CDI mode from NAV1 to GPS?

There are a number of useful guides on the official forums: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-operate-garmin-g1000-avionics/593427

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

46 minutes ago, tiger1962 said:

Silly question: Have you switched the CDI mode from NAV1 to GPS?

There are a number of useful guides on the official forums: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-operate-garmin-g1000-avionics/593427

Yes. The CDI is on GPS with the magenta needle. I can fly the course myself and turn on Autopilot and NAV and it will not fly the course.

MadMav24

Do you have any Working Title mods in your Community folder? These should all be deleted now, because they will conflict with the latest default sim versions.

3 hours ago, tiger1962 said:

Do you have any Working Title mods in your Community folder? These should all be deleted now, because they will conflict with the latest default sim versions.

I have removed everything from the Community folder. Autopilot still does not work. The aircraft will roll left if you take your hands off the controls and eventually fly into the ground.

MadMav24

This is sounding like a control sensitivity issue or possibly a control assignment conflict - Try increasing the dead zone to at least 10% on your aileron and rudder axis, you might have a chattering potentiometer in the yoke or pedals.

Also check your Autopilot control assignments. Change the filter on the left from 'Assigned' to 'All' and check the keyboard and Honeycomb assignments for duplicates/conflicts.

22 hours ago, tiger1962 said:

This is sounding like a control sensitivity issue or possibly a control assignment conflict - Try increasing the dead zone to at least 10% on your aileron and rudder axis, you might have a chattering potentiometer in the yoke or pedals.

Also check your Autopilot control assignments. Change the filter on the left from 'Assigned' to 'All' and check the keyboard and Honeycomb assignments for duplicates/conflicts.

I have tried your suggestions to no avail, I can trim the aircraft to fly reasonably well. But, it will not fly the course or hold altitude under Autopilot. This whole deal started last November with one of the previous updates and it has not worked correctly through all the updates. I have never changed the control assignments since I started with the Honeycomb gear. I am going back to the default settings and start over. 

MadMav24

Let's try a sim repair. First of all, delete your rolling cache file in: AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache - the file name is ROLLINGCACHE.CCC.

Then go to your Start menu and select Settings\Apps\Installed Apps\Microsoft Flight Simulator - click on the three dots and select Advanced options.

Scroll down to the Reset section and click on Repair. When a tick appears next to the Repair button, restart MSFS and a new, clean ROLLINGCACHE.CCC file will be created automatically.

1 hour ago, tiger1962 said:

Let's try a sim repair. First of all, delete your rolling cache file in: AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache - the file name is ROLLINGCACHE.CCC.

Then go to your Start menu and select Settings\Apps\Installed Apps\Microsoft Flight Simulator - click on the three dots and select Advanced options.

Scroll down to the Reset section and click on Repair. When a tick appears next to the Repair button, restart MSFS and a new, clean ROLLINGCACHE.CCC file will be created automatically.

The AUTOPILOT is working correctly now. But, now there is another issue. When the aircraft got to the first turn in the flight plan it just kept going straight.

MadMav24

30 minutes ago, MadMav24 said:

The AUTOPILOT is working correctly now. But, now there is another issue. When the aircraft got to the first turn in the flight plan it just kept going straight.

MadMav24

If this is after following the sim repair instructions, and still with an empty Community folder, the next step is to delete the sim's aircraft avionics data like we did with the rolling cache - the sim will automatically download the avionics data on restart as if it was an official update. This will avoid having to delete and re-install the whole sim:

Navigate to your AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore folder and delete the fs-base-aircraft-common folder.

Restart the sim and download the update - it will be mandatory anyway, and we can then be sure that this data is uncorrupted.

Tim:

I think I got it whipped now. Thanks for the help.

MadMav24

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 6:19 PM, MadMav24 said:

Tim:

I think I got it whipped now. Thanks for the help.

MadMav24

Not sure if that means it's been fixed, however, I've been having the same issue with the C172 (stock version).

What I have done to "fix" it is on the GPS (once in the air), select the Direct To button, it will show the next waypoint, select enter (to select it) and then enter again to Activate).  Once that is done, the NAV portion will function like it should (unless this is the way it should be done).

Some times though, all I have to do is to hit the NAV button the AP and it will work, but most of the time, the way I got it working is by doing the steps above.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality