• Founder

Remote parts of the world look great in MSFS 2020. I have previously enjoyed touring around the Orkneys and Shetlands and lately have been visiting Iceland.

Just the normal terrain here is uniquely colorful:

color-pattern.jpg

You can also tie your tongue in knots with the place names, such as Þingeyri ... and learn new letters along the way! That unfamiliar letter is a "thorn", once used in old-English and still in Icelandic for the "th" sound:

thingeyri-iceland.jpg

There are not many custom POI in Iceland, but today's trip went past one of them: Hvitserkur. This is an impressive rock formation, with a back story that it's a petrified bell-hating troll, and with a name that means "white shirt", a nice way of referring to the bird guano that covers much of it:

hvitserkur-iceland-2.jpg

hvitserkur-iceland-1.jpg

Having found "fuglakúka rokk" I'm now on my way east...

• Founder
5 hours ago, jankees said:

love the last  shot of that cliff, but then I'm a geologist...

I've been spending a lot of time flying along coastlines. Usually you think of the coast as sandy beaches, but I've been surprised by how much coastline is actually steep cliffs.

On 8/18/2023 at 8:34 AM, Nels_Anderson said:

I've been spending a lot of time flying along coastlines. Usually you think of the coast as sandy beaches, but I've been surprised by how much coastline is actually steep cliffs.

Have you overflown Loch Ness?  Beautiful scenery, an ancient and long deserted but still accessible castle which the RAF still use for practice sorties from time to time on the bank, and lots of salmon farms floating in the Loch. And that's just as portrayed in P3D with ORBX.  Three's probably a lot more detail in the new sim.  Also don't miss the Isle of Skye which IMO RW was really much nicer before they built the bridge a few years back.  

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

• Founder

Earlier on, when I was still flying airplanes, I took a tour of the British Isles from end to end and then back, mostly going around the coast. As part of that I did make a point of flying up Loch Ness and you're right, it's a very scenic place. I got down nice and low to get a good look.